Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880873 times)

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2745 on: July 25, 2012, 11:35:37 am »

Quote from: wiki
Tips for an Effective Hospital

Regularly use (i-H) to examine your hospital stockpile. Ensure your hospital is well-stocked. If you run out of materials regularly, increase the limits.

Without coffers or bags or containers in the hospital's zone, but still nice stockpiles, the (i)->(H) hospital information is empty, isn't it? (I tried for example a bucket stockpile near the zone, and also within the zone: in both cases it shows 0 buckets) But it's not a problem, since nurses and doctors will use them, no?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: July 25, 2012, 11:56:14 am »

You don't really need containers or stockpiles near the hospital. The dwarfs will take the stuff they need if it is stored in your normal stockpile. I think they sometimes use a crutch from the finished goods pile instead of one from the hospital, so containers are just reducing hauling a bit in most cases.
These tips from the wiki are not all that helpful, I never use dedicated nurses and doctors and the CMD is only there to enable the health screen. If enough dwarfs have the medical jobs enabled you should be fine.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: July 25, 2012, 01:36:15 pm »

These tips from the wiki are not all that helpful, I never use dedicated nurses and doctors and the CMD is only there to enable the health screen. If enough dwarfs have the medical jobs enabled you should be fine.

If a wiki page is wrong, please fix it, or at least tell us which page it is....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: July 25, 2012, 02:14:23 pm »

As I understand it, wiki is fine concerning the hospital but for the bugs: it explains how it should be (or how it will be soon). May be it's the paragraph at the end which list the bugs and how it affect the hospital that could be expanded?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: July 25, 2012, 02:54:05 pm »

I was not saying that the wiki was wrong, just that you can do things in different ways than suggested there. For example I don't use specialized nurses and it works for me to leave "recover wounded" and "feed prisoner" enabled on everyone, as it is by default. I'm not saying specialized nurses do not work, but you don't have to have them.

The tips on hospital section has been changed by someone, it's much better now.

The question was wether it was strictly necessary to have containers in the hospital and my answer is: it may help but is not strictly necessary.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: July 25, 2012, 04:27:42 pm »

I changed that. You can probably get the older version through the history, but before it said the the CMD was needed for diagnosis and that treatment on a dwarf wouldn't start unless the CMD diagnosed said dwarf.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: July 25, 2012, 04:50:47 pm »

You don't need nurses, but it can work pretty well to combine a nursing team with an army reserve squad and get combat medics.  You'll probably want them to be crossbow users so they remain proactive about defending themselves even when the squad is inactive.  Though axedwarves carrying booze rations give you a nice civil war era doctor feel.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: July 26, 2012, 05:47:19 am »

I have started a new fortress in a volcano, near of a necro tower. I built that giant magma trap and I was really excited about doing some nice zombie BBQ.

Then I discovered they can't be killed with magma *facepalm* Why? Is that on purpose or is it a bug? Or simply not implemented yet?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: July 26, 2012, 06:02:12 am »

It's reported as bug 0005511.
I don't know what Toady thinks about it, though.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: July 26, 2012, 06:07:40 am »

It's reported as bug 0005511.
I don't know what Toady thinks about it, though.
Cheers  :)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: July 26, 2012, 05:05:15 pm »

I have started a new fortress in a volcano, near of a necro tower. I built that giant magma trap and I was really excited about doing some nice zombie BBQ.

Then I discovered they can't be killed with magma *facepalm* Why? Is that on purpose or is it a bug? Or simply not implemented yet?

Yeah, I did the exact same thing.  Zombies are so much more fun than goblins, but they don't die in magma?  Silly.  Hopefully it IS a bug, and will be fixed before the next release.  Until then, goblins will have to do :(

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: July 26, 2012, 08:33:40 pm »

It's a bug, I'm sure  Probably related to the whole things not dying when all of their fat burnt off in older versions of the game.  Toady adjusted it, but hasn't sorted it out completely yet.

He's also planning on introducing "pulping" of zombies at some point in the future, I believe.  That will let you do enough damage to a body part that it can't be reanimated anymore, and removes the need to atomsmash zombies to get rid of them in reanimating biomes.

In regards to burning zombies though, I'm pretty sure I've read that "killing" the zombies and then dropping them into the magma will destroy the corpse while it's "dead", and before it can be reanimated.  So a magma trap isn't completely useless.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: July 26, 2012, 08:49:59 pm »

In regards to burning zombies though, I'm pretty sure I've read that "killing" the zombies and then dropping them into the magma will destroy the corpse while it's "dead", and before it can be reanimated.  So a magma trap isn't completely useless.
Correct. Also if you aren't afraid of modding adding a simple [MELTING_POINT:X] to the various body tissues will remove the zombie magma bug IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: July 28, 2012, 12:00:37 am »

/point at Knutor.  Knutor's afraid of modding.  *shiver*

I bought about 70 turtles from this human caravan in packs of 5.  All the turtle packs have the same sex it appears, only one sex icon, yet I bought 5 turtles. *raise eyebrow*  That's not what bothers me.  What bothers me, is now after the trade is finished, and that human caravan leaves the region, I proceed on over to a murky pond, that I set to be a pond activity zone, and cannot for the life of me find a turtle, or set of 5 turtles, to toss in there.  They are now, nowhere to be seen, but there is a bazillion bees in this Pond list.  What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: July 28, 2012, 12:54:08 am »

they are dead, Jim... I mean Knutor. It's turtle meat, even without shell already
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 422