Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881292 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2460 on: July 03, 2012, 05:33:34 am »

Will a lever attached to a door still close it if a foe has taken the door?  I'm trying to build a series of pens around my fort that will allow invaders and thief to approach, but at the activation of a lever--BAM!!-- no place to go.  Can I do that with doors, or should I use floodgates to control access?

I believe it should work, at least it did in DF2010. If you want to be sure, use a raising bridge. I know for a fact that that will work. Plus building destroyers won't destroy them.

^
this

trolls, ogres and various war animals will simply smash the doors on the way in.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: July 03, 2012, 09:25:16 am »

Will a lever attached to a door still close it if a foe has taken the door?  I'm trying to build a series of pens around my fort that will allow invaders and thief to approach, but at the activation of a lever--BAM!!-- no place to go.  Can I do that with doors, or should I use floodgates to control access?

I believe it should work, at least it did in DF2010. If you want to be sure, use a raising bridge. I know for a fact that that will work. Plus building destroyers won't destroy them.

Thanks!  I am aware that the big brutes will destroy, but even then it will delay them and give me choke points.  Also, I lack confidence when it comes to using bridges  :)

^
this

trolls, ogres and various war animals will simply smash the doors on the way in.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: July 03, 2012, 09:29:49 am »

I never heard of this. I think that normal wild animals can breed sometimes if they stay on the map long enough, but I've never tried it with an egg layer. Sounds like a plan.
It was doable when eggs first came out. That's how I got my first Giant Eagle.

Then it changed, I have no idea what the science is now. Ah well, I created the first test cage. Now to see how it goes

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: July 03, 2012, 09:31:18 am »

Can anyone confirm for me whether the latest version allows wild, never been tamed animals to lay eggs in unclaimed nestbox?
Wiki says beast has gotta be an Adult Female, Egg Layer, Tame to use Nest Box. 
Male can be Wild. 
Female can be Trained. 
Good luck, Knutor
Damn....... That's not going to work then. Time to claim the caverns then. My dwarves need some targets damn it!

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: July 04, 2012, 02:03:07 am »

The human caravan showed up with wagons, and they were pathing right next to a murky pool, and appear to be stuck now, both wagons. I've confirmed they can still reach the depot, no trees sprouted up to block them, they're just stuck. Any ideas of a way to fix this?

A Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: July 04, 2012, 03:28:52 am »

If I channel a River into a two 1x2 pond of stagnant water, will the pond water become fresh (going to close the flow off with a flood gate)?

Oh man oh man, I have so many plans for this river..
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:34:58 am by A Dwarf »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: July 04, 2012, 07:59:40 am »

The human caravan showed up with wagons, and they were pathing right next to a murky pool, and appear to be stuck now, both wagons. I've confirmed they can still reach the depot, no trees sprouted up to block them, they're just stuck. Any ideas of a way to fix this?

Kill them all, let God sort them out claim their stuff
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: July 04, 2012, 12:48:08 pm »

2. Do uniform templates need to be reconstructed from scratch everytime or is there a config file that could be editted to include custom armor sets?
There's no file for that (I wish there were), but you can use macros. The downside is that they rely on the order of materials and items being consistent across different fortresses, and because the generated text file contains every command for each keystroke editing it isn't simple. You could keep a stripped-down version of the uniform selection and add or remove up/down/left/right/Enter commands as necessary, or you could skip DF's rather clunky system entirely and use AutoHotkey or another dedicated macro program.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: July 04, 2012, 01:23:06 pm »

2. Do uniform templates need to be reconstructed from scratch everytime or is there a config file that could be editted to include custom armor sets?
There's no file for that (I wish there were), but you can use macros. The downside is that they rely on the order of materials and items being consistent across different fortresses, and because the generated text file contains every command for each keystroke editing it isn't simple. You could keep a stripped-down version of the uniform selection and add or remove up/down/left/right/Enter commands as necessary, or you could skip DF's rather clunky system entirely and use AutoHotkey or another dedicated macro program.

Would be nice to have a file, indeed. Strange that I hadn't thought of that. We have embark profiles, why not uniforms?

If you make the uniforms with material categories like wood or metal, the order of those doesn't change, though, does it? It's eg. making a full steel uniform that might be tricky.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: July 04, 2012, 03:17:21 pm »

Just a note here, but I find a good find/replace function (such as you can find in Notepad++, IIRC the default notepad one doesn't handle this very well) can really speed up editing macros. For example when you find the "down menu" command you can simply highlight the entire block of commands, put it into the "find" field, and then put only the "down menu" command into the replace field. Then simply run a replace all and the program will replace all of your "down blocks" with the "down menu" command. Then you only need to encounter each command once to edit down your macro completely.

(I still find it lacking in the military uniform setup department though. Hopefully sometime soon we'll manage to get a utility that allows you to manage military uniforms, in an easy method similar to therapist for example.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: July 04, 2012, 04:33:43 pm »

"....Beware it's Deadly Blood."

Deadly Blood??? Wuuuuuuuhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: July 04, 2012, 04:35:49 pm »

"....Beware it's Deadly Blood."

Deadly Blood??? Wuuuuuuuhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

*shudder* Yeah, what it says.... beware. Deadly blood is deadly. If your dwarves get it on them, it can cause all sorts of lovely deadly syndromes, and as they track the Forgotten Beast blood around the Fortress, other people and pets can pick it up and get sick from it.

If your dwarves have shoes, that's a big help in stopping the spread for them at least, but it's still easy to get all your pets (cats, dogs, etc.) sick and dying from it, since they don't have such protection.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: July 04, 2012, 04:50:55 pm »

In my fort there seems to be a coming of age ceremony in which a child starts throwing tantrums due to their unacceptable nakedness. This has twice led to melancholy. My record keeper isn't worth the booze I feed her, so I've no clue if I have any clothing, but I should have thought I'd have enough clothes for them, as I have a regular turnover of goblinite. Uh, is this a bug or am I just terrible at providing enough clothes for my fort?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: July 04, 2012, 05:14:19 pm »

Clothes wear out over time as they're worn, so if you're not getting in enough goblinite clothing (of the right types) to keep up with the wearing-out rate of all the clothes on all your dwarves, you'll still end up with a shortage.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: July 04, 2012, 05:45:33 pm »

Yes that sounds right.

I've got a three more children throwing tantrums as I speak. Naked children are the bane of my otherwise peaceful fort.

Another unrelated question: when you abandon a fort, will closed floodgates stop the scatter of goods? What about locked doors?
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 422