Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881338 times)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2445 on: July 02, 2012, 01:04:30 am »

Can anyone confirm for me whether the latest version allows wild, never been tamed animals to lay eggs in unclaimed nestbox?

I caught some turkey gobblers and I don't wish to domesticate them, rather, they will serve as stool pigeons for my dwarves. Well, maybe some stress relief for training squads:D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: July 02, 2012, 02:47:30 am »

Can anyone confirm for me whether the latest version allows wild, never been tamed animals to lay eggs in unclaimed nestbox?

I caught some turkey gobblers and I don't wish to domesticate them, rather, they will serve as stool pigeons for my dwarves. Well, maybe some stress relief for training squads:D

I never heard of this. I think that normal wild animals can breed sometimes if they stay on the map long enough, but I've never tried it with an egg layer. Sounds like a plan.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: July 02, 2012, 03:44:48 pm »

Is that last part 'I have diorite and not dolomite, never mind', or some sort of joke I'm missing?

Iron'll be fine for axes. It has 100 strength compared to bronze's 75 and steel's 133, so in a fight it'll do pretty well.

Yeah I derped, but I guess I can just use an iron axe. Was hoping I would be able to be fancy. I suppose I could dig in the ground with one pickaxe for the rest of the season in a vain attempt to unearth flux, cuz I think there's some in the southwest corner of my map... or maybe the west side. Stupid triple biome embark.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: July 02, 2012, 06:01:16 pm »

Will a lever attached to a door still close it if a foe has taken the door?  I'm trying to build a series of pens around my fort that will allow invaders and thief to approach, but at the activation of a lever--BAM!!-- no place to go.  Can I do that with doors, or should I use floodgates to control access?
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: July 02, 2012, 06:23:41 pm »

Wiki says beast has gotta be an Adult Female, Egg Layer, Tame to use Nest Box. 
Male can be Wild. 
Female can be Trained. 
Good luck, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: July 02, 2012, 07:09:50 pm »

Did anyone know that Reclaiming d>b>c with the rectangle (pressing enter at one point, enter at another) also spans Z-levels? In other words, starting on the highest Z-level in the top-most corner of your map, initiating the claim rectangle, then going down numerous Z-levels to another corner will reclaim every item across that entire 3D space?

I just found that out ^_______^

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: July 02, 2012, 08:13:44 pm »

Did anyone know that Reclaiming d>b>c with the rectangle (pressing enter at one point, enter at another) also spans Z-levels? In other words, starting on the highest Z-level in the top-most corner of your map, initiating the claim rectangle, then going down numerous Z-levels to another corner will reclaim every item across that entire 3D space?

I just found that out ^_______^

yep, most things like that work across z-levels now
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: July 02, 2012, 08:42:28 pm »

In Adventurer mode, if you have multiple items in your hand, how do you auto-attack with your real weapon? (aka, pack is full, have some gems that I don't want to drop, Adventurer attacks with gems instead of Warhammer).

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: July 02, 2012, 08:52:02 pm »

In Adventurer mode, if you have multiple items in your hand, how do you auto-attack with your real weapon? (aka, pack is full, have some gems that I don't want to drop, Adventurer attacks with gems instead of Warhammer).
You'll just have to use the aimed attack every time.

A Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: July 02, 2012, 09:06:38 pm »

So how do I get my military to hit that stupid lever (which would save their lives) right next to them?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: July 02, 2012, 09:16:16 pm »

So how do I get my military to hit that stupid lever (which would save their lives) right next to them?
If they're in militis mode, they won't do any civilian jobs. You'll have to put them in civilian mode by deactivating their squad.

iTreefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: July 02, 2012, 10:20:02 pm »

A few questions:

1. Where are rock pots listed in the stock screen?
2. Do uniform templates need to be reconstructed from scratch everytime or is there a config file that could be editted to include custom armor sets?
3. Are barracks for sleeping necessary when each Military dwarf has its own room with a bed, chest, and cabinet and his squad a place to train?

Thanks!

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: July 02, 2012, 10:46:35 pm »

A few questions:

1. Where are rock pots listed in the stock screen?
2. Do uniform templates need to be reconstructed from scratch everytime or is there a config file that could be editted to include custom armor sets?
3. Are barracks for sleeping necessary when each Military dwarf has its own room with a bed, chest, and cabinet and his squad a place to train?

Thanks!
1. Check tools.
2. Not sure.
3. No, barracks are only needed if you set your militia to all sleep in barracks. I believe default behaviour is for them to sleep in their own rooms.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: July 03, 2012, 03:49:53 am »

2. You can make a macro that picks the uniform you want. Macros can usually be used in any of your games and transported to a new version without problem by copy pasting them to the right place. I use one (three actually, 3 stages in the digging) for designating bedrooms to be dug out since I always use the same design for example. It's also useful if you're going to trade a lot of mugs and such

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Macro

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: July 03, 2012, 04:49:01 am »

Will a lever attached to a door still close it if a foe has taken the door?  I'm trying to build a series of pens around my fort that will allow invaders and thief to approach, but at the activation of a lever--BAM!!-- no place to go.  Can I do that with doors, or should I use floodgates to control access?

I believe it should work, at least it did in DF2010. If you want to be sure, use a raising bridge. I know for a fact that that will work. Plus building destroyers won't destroy them.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 422