Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881422 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2400 on: June 27, 2012, 03:41:16 pm »

Does anyone know if it's possible to extinct land vermin like it is fish?
I have brown recluses on my map and want to train a legendary animal dissector, but if they're going to run out it'll make this ridiculously difficult task impossible.

My initial suspicion is that you can't drive them to extinction.  I have land vermin being killed so frequently by my cats that if they were going to go extinct, it should have happened a decade ago in game.  I'd be interested in seeing a more authoritative answer though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: June 27, 2012, 03:53:41 pm »

Is there at least a good way to tell them to target a piece of equipment laying on the surface to be hauled back down to the (quite spacious) storage rooms in a less vulnerable position?
Set dwarves to collect refuse from outside, set a dump zone inside, dump whatever you want taken off the surface. Don't forget to unforbid it after it's been dumped.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: June 27, 2012, 04:20:06 pm »

I've just been playing DF for a few weeks now, and am enjoying it a lot, although I'm often quite frustrated.  At the moment I'm having trouble keeping all my stuff inside the fortress.  For some reason I haven't been able to figure out, dorfs keep leaving the nice armor that I've just recently been making for them laying around up on the surface.  Then langur men/women come along and steal it.  I'm probably just struggling to figure out how to do everything with the UI.  Is there at least a good way to tell them to target a piece of equipment laying on the surface to be hauled back down to the (quite spacious) storage rooms in a less vulnerable position?

someone else had exactly the same issue some time ago, about dwarfs constantly tossing away armor. Anyone remember why and what the solution was?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: June 27, 2012, 04:44:19 pm »

Is there at least a good way to tell them to target a piece of equipment laying on the surface to be hauled back down to the (quite spacious) storage rooms in a less vulnerable position?
Set dwarves to collect refuse from outside, set a dump zone inside, dump whatever you want taken off the surface. Don't forget to unforbid it after it's been dumped.
Ah, gotcha.  I tried flagging it for dumping, but I didn't realize I also need to set them to collect refuse from the surface.

There are several of my nice new breastplates scattered around, and I'm not sure how they got to where they are.  Not all of my ground troops have armor, although they've all been assigned to wear metal armor from the military interface.  Is there a way to hurry along the process of them picking this stuff up?  Will they only find it if it's coming from a certain stockpile or workshop?  Or do I just need to wait for them to get around to it?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: June 27, 2012, 05:28:29 pm »

There are several of my nice new breastplates scattered around, and I'm not sure how they got to where they are.

Let's suppose you have one military squad with one dwarf in it.  You assign a uniform to this squad/dwarf, and that uniform includes one helm, one breastplate, etc.

Now you tell the armorsmith to make a breastplate.  The job gets finished, and then the breastplate, while it's still sitting in the forge, either gets marked for a "Store Item in Bin", "Store Item in Stockpile" or "Pickup Equipment" job, depending on which dwarf gets wind of it first.  Or something.  If the military dwarf wins, he does the Pickup Equipment job, and puts on the breastplate.  Otherwise, it goes into a stockpile and then eventually the military dwarf grabs it from there.

Then later you make a second breastplate.  This one's better than the first one, so the military dwarf decides to claim it (assuming a hauler doesn't grab it first).  But the military dwarf is already wearing a breastplate -- that would prevent him from performing the Pickup Equipment job!  So he drops the breastplate that he's currently wearing, wherever he happens to be standing.  Then he goes to where the new breastplate is, and puts it on.

It gets even more chaotic when you have multiple dwarves in a squad, and you start churning out several breastplates.  There's a hand-me-down cascade, in which the first member of the squad gets the best one, so he discards the one he's got on, and then the second dwarf in the squad claims that one, and discards his current one, etc.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: June 27, 2012, 08:14:01 pm »

Is it possible to shift tiles of natural terrain horizontally?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: June 28, 2012, 03:50:52 am »

no, I don't think so
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: June 28, 2012, 07:22:15 am »

Is it possible to shift tiles of natural terrain horizontally?
What do you mean?

Are you talking about shifting biomes, moving mountains, rivers, or something else?

Nick

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: June 28, 2012, 07:40:19 am »

That's kind of what I thought he meant, like digging up a lot of sand and dumping it somewhere else to make a sand tile instead of whatever there was before that. Which can't be done.

though dfhack nowadays allows you to change terrain types, for example changing a layer of granite to marble, or just a small part

edit:
(but that would be cheating)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:42:12 am by Garath »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: June 28, 2012, 12:22:24 pm »

At some point very recently, Toady made caps "shaped" items, meaning that they conflict with helmets for the head slot.  But dwarves all grab caps, because caps are still clothing.  Even worse, they immigrate with caps already on...

I'd love to be able to use "wear armor over clothing" on my squads, both for the extra protection and because I don't have my textile -or- my metal industry up and running at full steam yet.  Right now I'm at the point where I have 2 dwarves with almost no military skill, wearing all their (ordinary clothing) that they arrived with, and I have a few bronze helms that I've smithed.  I can assign the helms to the squad, and they get claimed, but not worn -- because of those friggin' cloth caps.  Yet I don't want to turn off "wear armor over clothing" yet, because I have no boots or greaves yet, so my poor military dwarves would be running around naked except for a helm and a shield.

What's a poor dwarf to do?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: June 28, 2012, 12:26:31 pm »

At some point very recently, Toady made caps "shaped" items, meaning that they conflict with helmets for the head slot.  But dwarves all grab caps, because caps are still clothing.  Even worse, they immigrate with caps already on...

I'd love to be able to use "wear armor over clothing" on my squads, both for the extra protection and because I don't have my textile -or- my metal industry up and running at full steam yet.  Right now I'm at the point where I have 2 dwarves with almost no military skill, wearing all their (ordinary clothing) that they arrived with, and I have a few bronze helms that I've smithed.  I can assign the helms to the squad, and they get claimed, but not worn -- because of those friggin' cloth caps.  Yet I don't want to turn off "wear armor over clothing" yet, because I have no boots or greaves yet, so my poor military dwarves would be running around naked except for a helm and a shield.

Get a giant scorpion to wrestle the caps off.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: June 28, 2012, 12:44:14 pm »

wait untill they rot away or
make better headwear that is not a cap that doesn't interfere. Some pig tail fiber masterwork hoods should work. Soon as the cap is a little worn, they'll switch to the hoods. Leather hoods work too.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: June 28, 2012, 01:25:31 pm »

Yet I don't want to turn off "wear armor over clothing" yet, because I have no boots or greaves yet, so my poor military dwarves would be running around naked except for a helm and a shield.

Set them to replace clothing, then restore the 'over clothing' setting once they have the helms on.

You could alter the raws to make caps not shaped, but in my experience any dwarf wearing an embark / recent immigrant set of clothes and told to add a full set of armour won't get more than a few pieces of armour on.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: June 28, 2012, 06:57:10 pm »

Raw question (Maybe would go better in modding, but I figure it's common enough).

If I remove aquifers (Change [AQUIFER] to (AQUIFER) for ease of reverting), generate a world, embark, then change the raws (in the save folder) back to the original, will that have any effect on my current fortress?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: June 28, 2012, 07:48:28 pm »

Raw question (Maybe would go better in modding, but I figure it's common enough).

If I remove aquifers (Change [AQUIFER] to (AQUIFER) for ease of reverting), generate a world, embark, then change the raws (in the save folder) back to the original, will that have any effect on my current fortress?

Nope, it won't affect the fort. That world will never have aquifers.

Still haven't gotten a reply... nobody know the answer to the pump stack question?
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 422