Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881412 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2385 on: June 25, 2012, 02:29:12 pm »

Make it physically impossible for a dwarf to stand anywhere that's wrong.

Code: [Select]
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
F>+++++++++++++++
F+
F+  (open space)
F+
F+

I'll have to try that.

But I really hate doing it. I like having stockpiles with food/booze/bolts on the same z-level as the shooters.

Nick

What I do typically is have a walkway for the archers one or two levels up from where the action is gonna happen.  For instance, I have a big loop that goes around my depot area, and set the archers on a patrol route that takes them through the loop, with a detour in the ammo room.  This way they'll shoot until their quiver is empty, then continue along the route and reload at the ammo room, and repeat.  (Make sure that if there is a way for the archers to path to the enemies they are shooting, it is very long and circuitous, otherwise instead of continuing their patrol to the ammo, they will rush the enemies in melee)

Code: [Select]
              ╔═════╗
              ║+++++║ <-- Ammo/booze stockpile
              ║+++++║
              ║+++++║
              ╚═╗+╔═╝
                ║+║
╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬+╬╬╬╬╬ <-- Fortifications
╬++++++++++++++++++++++
╬+╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬ <-- these can be walls instead
╬+╬
╬+╬
╬+╬  Open space (so they can shoot inwards at the depot as well), dirt, or anything really,
╬+╬    as long as there is no way for the archers
╬+╬   to possibly get to this area by any means (otherwise they will stand in this area when given station / patrol orders)
╬+╬
╬+╬

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: June 25, 2012, 04:23:27 pm »

Just checking, can inorganic FBs eventually die from "the spinning menacing iron spike strikes the Forgotten Beast in the head, chipping it!"? It does not bleed, every body part is red and listed as both broken and cut open, but the bastard just won't stop. Or will it?

The funny part? It's made of mud and grime. Which I presumed was one hit kill material, not 'get the candy axes' material.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: June 25, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »

that's a bit of a surprise. Spikes do have a sever chance, however small, just not against some inorganic ones, so I'm guessing this is one of em. A steam one would have been blown away. Axe work time
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: June 26, 2012, 11:22:40 am »

Two quick questions:

1).  I got "Echidna spine" after butchering a echidna.  Is this a useful material, like a horn or hoof?  Or is it useless, like cartilage2)?

2).  Some of my workshops use material logically from wherever they find it.  Others shut down unless I assign a stockpile to "give" (Worst was a smelter that needed to be "given" charcoal, ore and melt-designated items.  It's hooked up to 5 stockpiles now).  Is this just something I need to get used in DF2012?

Thanks!
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: June 26, 2012, 01:21:52 pm »

1. bone
2. dunno, in a state of nested hauling chaos here, myself.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: June 26, 2012, 02:33:25 pm »

2).  Some of my workshops use material logically from wherever they find it.  Others shut down unless I assign a stockpile to "give" (Worst was a smelter that needed to be "given" charcoal, ore and melt-designated items.  It's hooked up to 5 stockpiles now).  Is this just something I need to get used in DF2012?

The hauling/stockpile changes in 0.34.08+ are something we're all still adjusting to.  There are also some bugs (e.g. #5895).

If you hook any stockpile up to your smelter, then it won't be able to do a "melt item" job, unless the items to be melted are also in a stockpile which is hooked to the smelter.  This gives you a few options:
  • Unlink all stockpiles that are giving to the smelter in order to do the melt item jobs, then reconnect them later.
  • Make a quantum stockpile (which is actually a stockpile!  one that accepts anything), dump all the melt-designated items there, unforbid them, and link that stockpile to the smelter.
  • Make a separate smelter for melting items, which is never linked to any stockpiles.

I hope that one day we will be able to make stockpiles that take "any melt-designated item" or "any worn clothing" or "any NON-worn clothing".  My god, those things are a pain in the ass....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: June 26, 2012, 04:50:26 pm »

How do I make a "fall trap" for injuring dwarves?  I've heard of these things a lot, but have never tried to build one myself.  I understand it must involve a support and a floor that is dropped by the support, but I'm not sure what the configuration should be.  The fall needs to be at least 2 z-levels to cause injury (v.31.25), right?

Should I build a support, then a support one z-level above that one (on top of it?), then a floor adjacent to the top of that support, then link up a mechanism?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: June 26, 2012, 05:00:22 pm »

Here's a quick question...
I think I remember reading somewhere that if multiple pumps share an output tile, which is then the source for a pump above it, the flow up the stack will be increased. I've searched around, and haven't found any information regarding it, so I may just be a loony. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: June 26, 2012, 06:27:42 pm »

The fall needs to be at least 2 z-levels to cause injury (v.31.25), right?

Are you saying that you are playing in version 0.31.25?  If so then yeah, a fall of 1 Z-level will not cause injury.  (It also means you're posting in the wrong "little questions" thread.)

By far the easiest way to drop some dwarves is to build a retracting bridge (not a raising bridge!) and station the dwarves on it.  Then pull the lever to retract it.  Simple, reusable, does not cause unintended cave-in damage....
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:29:57 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: June 26, 2012, 06:57:01 pm »

it's hard to use it on a critically injured dwarf that's not going to walk there

("I know he's not unconcious, just get him to the hospital!... Okay, so what if he passes out.. what he won't now? What if I break some more bones?")
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: June 26, 2012, 09:29:21 pm »

The fall needs to be at least 2 z-levels to cause injury (v.31.25), right?
(It also means you're posting in the wrong "little questions" thread.)

Yeah, I'm still playing .31.25 for this fort.  The other thread is locked, else I'd have done that.

Anyway, I'll try the drawbridge, since that is simpler.  For some reason I discounted it before, but as long as I build it a few z-levels off the ground it should work I suppose.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: June 27, 2012, 02:01:22 am »

posting here for 31.25 is fine with me as long as we're told which version it is :D

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: June 27, 2012, 12:18:52 pm »

Does anyone know if it's possible to extinct land vermin like it is fish?
I have brown recluses on my map and want to train a legendary animal dissector, but if they're going to run out it'll make this ridiculously difficult task impossible.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: June 27, 2012, 01:56:06 pm »

I've just been playing DF for a few weeks now, and am enjoying it a lot, although I'm often quite frustrated.  At the moment I'm having trouble keeping all my stuff inside the fortress.  For some reason I haven't been able to figure out, dorfs keep leaving the nice armor that I've just recently been making for them laying around up on the surface.  Then langur men/women come along and steal it.  I'm probably just struggling to figure out how to do everything with the UI.  Is there at least a good way to tell them to target a piece of equipment laying on the surface to be hauled back down to the (quite spacious) storage rooms in a less vulnerable position?

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: June 27, 2012, 03:08:31 pm »

I've just been playing DF for a few weeks now, and am enjoying it a lot, although I'm often quite frustrated.  At the moment I'm having trouble keeping all my stuff inside the fortress.  For some reason I haven't been able to figure out, dorfs keep leaving the nice armor that I've just recently been making for them laying around up on the surface.  Then langur men/women come along and steal it.  I'm probably just struggling to figure out how to do everything with the UI.  Is there at least a good way to tell them to target a piece of equipment laying on the surface to be hauled back down to the (quite spacious) storage rooms in a less vulnerable position?

Do you a stockpile designated to hold armor and/or weapons? If so, is it full?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 422