Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881301 times)

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2355 on: June 24, 2012, 03:49:52 am »

you can always decline becomming a barony, though then you won't get to ask for specific imports. Sidenote: humans also bring rope reed seeds occasionally. I think if you use dfhack or modest mod (or put them back in yourself) you can ask for them from the guild representative

Well, that's new for me. As you can see, I've avoided even being offered that well enough. The wiki was not clear about this point, but I've fixed that; is it the same for upgrading to county/duchy, or those are automatic? Also, not being able to ask for specific imports means there's a different system from the usual liaison stuff I'll be missing out on, or that the liaison will stop asking me outright?

I won't be having human caravans, because I did too much playing around with the world generator and learned the hard way that human civs can only spawn on plains. Anyway, an elven caravan has just brought me rope reed seeds without me having to give anything away, and I'm about to see whether stuff given to the elves is also considered exports or not.

On a related note, I added the guild representatives and elven diplomats part of the Modest Mod, if only to have some fun with elf sieges, but the elven diplomat hasn't appeared in the three years of existence of my current fort. Maybe I need to cut more trees :P. Although... I just remembered that I can just offer wood crap to the elves to provoke them.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: June 24, 2012, 03:56:19 am »

if the liaison offers you the barony and you decline, he'll say his goodbye message and pack up and leave. Caravans will still come each year, but you can't influence what they bring anymore. Upgrades to duchy etc happen automatically but don't seem to have any effect aside from making the (former) baron ask for a wealthier room, office, dining room and tomb with more items in them.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: June 24, 2012, 04:19:02 am »

if the liaison offers you the barony and you decline, he'll say his goodbye message and pack up and leave. Caravans will still come each year, but you can't influence what they bring anymore.

Well, at least I didn't avoid that in vain, because I plan to ask the mountainhalls for some particular gems in the future.

Upgrades to duchy etc happen automatically but don't seem to have any effect aside from making the (former) baron ask for a wealthier room, office, dining room and tomb with more items in them.

I'll be updating the wiki further, then. For me, the main reason to avoid nobles and their upgrading resides in their mandates and demands; barons, counts and dukes are increasingly demanding. Since they require a minimum amount of exports to come around, simply limiting myself to local industries is enough to have an obscenely wealthy yet nearly noble-free fortress. Woah, wait... I think I may be a communist. BRB, mining cinnabar.
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: June 24, 2012, 04:27:58 am »

Good to know. I want to get some rope reed seeds to have a separate farm system for my clothing industry, but it seems impossible to find rope reed on the wild in my embark, and I've cleared the area around every murky pool in the map (the wiki says they grow near water). Dwarves don't bring them, and elven caravans seem to bring almost no seeds at all, so I'm gonna cover them in useless crap the next time they come around, see if I can better my odds.

Build a farm plot there to see if rope reeds show up as an option. Chances are, they won't, they'd grow there already if they did.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: June 24, 2012, 04:38:40 am »

Build a farm plot there to see if rope reeds show up as an option. Chances are, they won't, they'd grow there already if they did.

I had actually built a farm plot aboveground while debunking the myth that the mere presence of an ocean biome in the embark site precludes the cultivation of aboveground crops (I'm updating the Farming wiki page). Four rope reeds planted now, waiting for them to mature.

Also, confirmed: giving crap to the elves counts as Exported Wealth.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: June 24, 2012, 06:40:28 am »

Now that's good to know. Is there any science on how close to that murky pools you have to make the farm so the rope reed is enabled? My map has a few pools, but so far only whip vine, wild strawberry, longlands grass and prickle berries.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: June 24, 2012, 08:30:56 am »

Wait... what?  Are you saying that if you (1) have rope reed seeds, and (2) have processed rope reeds in the past, and (3) have a functional above-ground plot... that there are some cases where you might not be able to plant rope reeds?  I've never heard this rumor before.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: June 24, 2012, 10:07:57 am »

Wait... what?  Are you saying that if you (1) have rope reed seeds, and (2) have processed rope reeds in the past, and (3) have a functional above-ground plot... that there are some cases where you might not be able to plant rope reeds?  I've never heard this rumor before.

mountains, I think, but appearantly not oceans anymore
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: June 24, 2012, 11:17:50 am »

Yeah, I think there are a couple different things being said on this page, and I'm not sure everyone's even talking about the same thing.

You can't farm above ground in a Mountain biome.  This is established fact.  The Mountain biome is classified as "freezing" by the game (this has nothing to do with temperature), along with Glacier and Tundra.  No tile in a "freezing" biome will ever support above-ground plant life.

(Bug: mountain soil tiles start out covered with grass.  But if you trample/graze it, it never grows back.)

Now, apparently some other people were saying that an Ocean biome has some effect on above-ground farming.  This is a new rumor to me, but it seems people are working on disproving it, so that's taken care of.

Then, some people appear to be saying that you have to be within a certain radius of a murky pool in order to plant a rope reed.  Again, this is a new rumor to me.  I've never heard such a thing before, and I'm about 99.9% certain it's wrong.  You might or might not need to be within a certain radius of natural water in order to gather rope reed, but that's totally different from planting.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: June 24, 2012, 11:30:04 am »

Now, apparently some other people were saying that an Ocean biome has some effect on above-ground farming.  This is a new rumor to me, but it seems people are working on disproving it, so that's taken care of.
I know that this was the way that it used to be back in 2010, so it's possible it might have changed, but I doubt it. (There is an exception for you modders out there though, being if you mod in ocean growing plants then you can farm those over an ocean). Also I'm fairly certain that the rope reed pool farming thing is false.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: June 24, 2012, 12:00:39 pm »

perhaps the ocean biome thing meant that if you somehow manage to get a farm above the ocean it won't work?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: June 24, 2012, 12:03:55 pm »

perhaps the ocean biome thing meant that if you somehow manage to get a farm above the ocean it won't work?
Probably, or at least I hope that's what it meant since that's what is true.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: June 24, 2012, 12:18:43 pm »

They could very well have 40-50 guys on the other side of the river whose squad you haven't noticed yet.
I never get ANY sieges/ambushers/snatchers/thieves/megabeasts from the other side of the river.

I noticed this in my current fort and built a bridge, put up some cage/weapon/spear traps and then raised the bridge and I got nothing. I also put a meeting zone right next to the river so maybe ranged ambushers would shoot across, but nope.

Of course, I cannot confirm this but 8 years and not a single hostile unit later I believe that they just don't come from the other side of the river...
I have. Many, many, many times.

For example apparently the pathable tiles to your wagon are determined when you get there, in the deeps of winter, so you'll frequently end up with Ambushers who apear in Early Autumn, and then mill around for two months waiting for the river to freeze.

More importantly if being on the exact right bank of the river is important your fortress design I've never had a problem with moving the entire damn fortress to another bank. Knock down 3-4 trees, build a min-bridge, put a bunch of stockpiles on the correct bank, and boom. Liaisons can be stubborn about appearing on the right bank, but Ambushers, sieges, and thieves aren't (unfortunately).

Nick

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: June 24, 2012, 12:25:37 pm »

Good to know. I want to get some rope reed seeds to have a separate farm system for my clothing industry, but it seems impossible to find rope reed on the wild in my embark, and I've cleared the area around every murky pool in the map (the wiki says they grow near water).
Maybe your herbalists keep failing to pick the rope reeds? DFHack can tell you how many of each plant is on the site.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: June 24, 2012, 01:58:32 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Rope_reed

@greycat,
I believe he meant to pick the plant, not to grow it.  It tends to grow there around pools, on its own.  That it requires wet vs dry is news to me, I see the wiki makes note of this, but I am not sure its needed as a growing requirement. 

In this current [34.11] embark here on my PC, I'm getting lots of rainfall, and I'm growing strawberry fine.  I wonder if this is just not a confusion as to where it tends to grow in the wild, vs where it can be planted and farmed.  The latter hasn't got a restriction, to my knowledge, but the wild locations, might. 

*shrug*  I only see the plants in the seasonal farm plot menu, for which I possess seeds to grow.  No others show up until I possess the seeds for them, could that be where the confusion lies with this rope reed/ocean-biome controversy?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 422