Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881210 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2325 on: June 23, 2012, 04:47:08 am »

possibly that yes. Try and capturing them all in cages and see if it clears the siege tag?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2326 on: June 23, 2012, 06:40:15 am »

possibly that yes. Try and capturing them all in cages and see if it clears the siege tag?
Considering that there were 71 undead, I just killed them all instead, but no, the siege tag is still there. Any way to fix this?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: June 23, 2012, 07:10:01 am »

any chance there is a stealth necromancer that is avoiding your dwarfs and thus not getting caught?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: June 23, 2012, 07:14:15 am »

@Loud Whisper, Missing/Dead list have any undead?  I betcha there is a lingering undead fella, holding that SIEGE flag.  Go to u, Missing/Dead and go up, to the very end and look for undead, then zoom to him.  Hopefully they aint in limbo land or flirting with the birdies on the rooftop after being thrown by a trap.  I have my fingers crossed for you.

Question: [34.11] Seems very odd, that Fisherdwarfs would fish, without a Fishery, when Weavers don't collect Webs, without a Loom.  Does that seem odd to you?  Is the Kitchen secretly doing the Fishery jobs?  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: June 23, 2012, 07:43:13 am »

there are some 'fish' that can be cooked into meals without processing. Sushi anyone?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2330 on: June 23, 2012, 08:04:11 am »

any chance there is a stealth necromancer that is avoiding your dwarfs and thus not getting caught?
Nope, there was one and that's the one I fed to the scorpion :x

@Loud Whisper, Missing/Dead list have any undead?  I betcha there is a lingering undead fella, holding that SIEGE flag.  Go to u, Missing/Dead and go up, to the very end and look for undead, then zoom to him.  Hopefully they aint in limbo land or flirting with the birdies on the rooftop after being thrown by a trap.  I have my fingers crossed for you.

It doesn't appear so, I think it's entirely possible something's gotten bugged. I'm just going to go kill everything that's not a friendly Dwarf and see if that works.

If my fort ends up in perpetual siege, does that just mean I'll never get migrants or caravans?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: June 23, 2012, 08:19:21 am »

pretty much, so not much of a problem for a self sufficient fort

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: June 23, 2012, 09:00:27 am »

Quote from: wiki
However, a down or up stair will give you sufficient access to the adjacent level to build connecting stairs. This means you can dig directly downwards or even directly upwards using stairs without needing any other forms of access to the area. [not true! You do not get access to the level above by building an up stair. Therefore it is not possible to build directly upwards.]

Hello,
Does this quote from wiki (not for DF34 version but older) still hold true?
I'm building a tower the way up, because invasion of three groups (trolls, gobz & gerlz) force me to build from a safe place, and forbid my dwarves to go outside, and build the (downward) stairs...

Wall <---- Z level I want access to ---->Wall

I'm stuck, am I not? :)
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: June 23, 2012, 09:02:00 am »

Question: [34.11] Seems very odd, that Fisherdwarfs would fish, without a Fishery, when Weavers don't collect Webs, without a Loom.  Does that seem odd to you?  Is the Kitchen secretly doing the Fishery jobs?  Knutor

You can stockpile the raw fish prior to building the fishery, then process them later.  Webs simply don't work like that; they can't be stockpiled.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: June 23, 2012, 09:09:13 am »

However, a down or up stair will give you sufficient access to the adjacent level to build connecting stairs. This means you can dig directly downwards or even directly upwards using stairs without needing any other forms of access to the area. [not true! You do not get access to the level above by building an up stair. Therefore it is not possible to build directly upwards.]

Hello,
I'm building a tower the way up, because invasion of three groups (trolls, gobz & gerlz) force me to build from a safe place, and forbid my dwarves to go outside, and build the (downward) stairs...

eh, no. what is true is that the stairs give you access to either dig or build stairs on the z-level above or below, though I don't know how it works for constructing downwards stairs in open spaces. That is how it's been a long time.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: June 23, 2012, 09:24:17 am »

Nope, there was one and that's the one I fed to the scorpion :x

It doesn't appear so, I think it's entirely possible something's gotten bugged. I'm just going to go kill everything that's not a friendly Dwarf and see if that works.

If my fort ends up in perpetual siege, does that just mean I'll never get migrants or caravans?

Are you absolutely 100% positive that there are no places on your map stealthed besiegers could be lurking?

Because you mentioned Elves, and Elvish siegers are ambushers. Which means that just because there are no elves on the unit list that does not imply the Elvish siege is over. They could very well have 40-50 guys on the other side of the river whose squad you haven't noticed yet.

Nick

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: June 23, 2012, 09:49:15 am »

Hello,

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure about your situation there, but it seems like you just have to build a down stair directly above the up stair.
Quote from: DF Wiki
Building upward stairs
  • Press b to open the building menu.
  • Press C.
  • Press u to select "Upward Stairway".
  • Move the cursor to a position on a floor or accessable open space and press enter.
  • Select a building material from the list (the higher up on the list, the closer the material is to the stairs) and press enter again.
  • Wait for a mason to do the job. For each upward stairway, you will need to designate/build a down stair or up/down stair on the z-level above.
I hope that helps!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2337 on: June 23, 2012, 09:52:31 am »

Are you absolutely 100% positive that there are no places on your map stealthed besiegers could be lurking?
Yes. Also, Elf corpses. It's a necromancer siege. It could be that there's a stealthed necromancer there, but there have been no corpse resurrections or traps set off.

pretty much, so not much of a problem for a self sufficient fort
Huh. I guess I'll just have to live with no metals anymore :/
Thanks for the help guys, but it looks like I'm stuck with this.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: June 23, 2012, 09:55:56 am »

have you channeled or blocked tiles 1 tile away from map edge? I've read that might cause some weird behavior too.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: June 23, 2012, 10:06:50 am »

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure about your situation there, but it seems like you just have to build a down stair directly above the up stair.
Quote from: DF Wiki
Building upward stairs
  • Press b to open the building menu.
  • Press C.
  • Press u to select "Upward Stairway".
  • Move the cursor to a position on a floor or accessable open space and press enter.
  • Select a building material from the list (the higher up on the list, the closer the material is to the stairs) and press enter again.
  • Wait for a mason to do the job. For each upward stairway, you will need to designate/build a down stair or up/down stair on the z-level above.
I hope that helps!

That is working, I've used it for another tower. Sadely it's located the opposite way from the invaders!
So I'd like to build another tower from inside my fortress, moving my way up.
On the Z level of my fortress, I do have up-stairs constructed:

On the Z+1 level, I design down stairs, but they never seems to be done:

I've been waiting for a while, since I've been baffled already by the way jobs are assigned, I've cancelled and redesign the construction. Obviously, I'm under siege so the burrow my Dwarves are restricted is including the area. I'm out of clues.
Without invaders outside, the solution is to break open a wall and come from outside to build the down stairs.
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 422