Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881481 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2025 on: June 03, 2012, 01:52:56 pm »

I have a quick question:
Can carnivores eat cheese or prepared meals with eggs in them? I'm hoping to have a renewable source of food for my carnivore fort.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #2026 on: June 03, 2012, 01:55:01 pm »

I have a quick question:
Can carnivores eat cheese or prepared meals with eggs in them? I'm hoping to have a renewable source of food for my carnivore fort.
Domestic carnivorous animals do not need to be fed.

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: June 03, 2012, 01:56:03 pm »

I have a quick question:
...my carnivore fort.
Domestic carnivorous animals do not need to be fed.
I think he modded the dwarves to eat meat only.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: June 03, 2012, 03:07:30 pm »

Dog/pig meat is renewable and doesn't require grazing.  Add sheep/reindeer/etc. if you can do grazing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: June 03, 2012, 03:11:50 pm »

Oh, it just got to semi-wild! :D Thanks a lot for that ^^ How would a giant eagle do in the army by the way?
And I can't see an entry for giant eagles in the Overall Training tab, not even general familiarity. Is that a problem?

it takes some trial and error (in a way of speaking) to gain knowledge
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: June 03, 2012, 05:24:21 pm »

Oh, it just got to semi-wild! :D Thanks a lot for that ^^ How would a giant eagle do in the army by the way?
And I can't see an entry for giant eagles in the Overall Training tab, not even general familiarity. Is that a problem?

I assume you're asking about making "war giant eagles", right?  Once you get them tame enough, the wiki says that they're good choices for war animals.  See: Animal trainer: Trainable war/hunting animals.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: June 03, 2012, 05:32:45 pm »

I assume you're asking about making "war giant eagles", right?  Once you get them tame enough, the wiki says that they're good choices for war animals.  See: Animal trainer: Trainable war/hunting animals.

One caveat to this is that if you use burrows to keep all your civilians in the fort during danger, all your military animals will also stay in the fort, unless there is some new work-around I'm not aware of yet.

EDIT:  Best workaround I can think of so far is to build some kind of "Holding Area" which is part of your "Safe Fort" Burrow for civilians, but which has doors / bridges that can seal it off from both the rest of the fort, and a passage leading outside.  When a siege comes, set your civilian alert, and station all the military in the holding area (war dogs etc should follow along). 

Once all the soldiers /war animals are in the Holding Area, seal/lock it off from the rest of the fort, and seal/lock every other entrance to the fort, but leave the doors between the holding area and outside open, and disable your civilian alert.  This should keep your civvies safe as they are locked inside, and allow your war animals to roam free with your military.

ANOTHER QUESTION:

Also, it might be something specific to 34.07, but has anyone else had issues with the auto-kitchen function?  Auto butcher, auto tan hides, auto fishery etc. all work perfect for me, but my kitchen do not automatically queue up cook jobs, despite being right next to the butcher and food piles (they're all in a clump together, practically touching).  I keep getting rotten food when I forget to keep manually adding cook jobs to the kitchens, even on repeat (since the repeat jobs cancels itself once it runs out of ingredients). 

I've double checked in my (o)rders menu, any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:46:55 pm by Xen0n »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: June 04, 2012, 03:09:28 am »

Auto kitchen means that fat will be rendered into tallow automatically.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: June 04, 2012, 06:44:16 am »

^
this

after all, how do they know if you want biscuits, stew or roasts
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: June 04, 2012, 07:14:28 am »

Auto kitchen means that fat will be rendered into tallow automatically.

^
this

after all, how do they know if you want biscuits, stew or roasts

Well slap me silly and call me an elf.  I guess it really has been a while since I last played DF :C  Can't believe I forgot about that.  Yeah, fat's been rendered automatically, just like the the little guys should :P  Thanks!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: June 04, 2012, 11:06:19 am »

Yup, latter, in the future Today plans to release something that would allow us to order, let's say, have a stock 200 roasts all the time, so each time one is consumed an order is made to cook a replacement. Or at least that's the plan.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: June 04, 2012, 12:51:05 pm »

Yup, latter, in the future Today plans to release something that would allow us to order, let's say, have a stock 200 roasts all the time, so each time one is consumed an order is made to cook a replacement. Or at least that's the plan.

Supposedly DFHack that's bundled with the Lazy Newb Pack has a feature like this, but I've never tried it out...

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: June 04, 2012, 03:54:31 pm »

Have the rules regarding water pressure changed?

I just noticed I have an improperly designed channel (ie. straight, no 'regulators'), and that the pump room - same level as intake - is not flooding.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2038 on: June 04, 2012, 06:31:19 pm »

Unpressurized water which travels through a U-bend will only rise to the level below the source.  So what you are seeing sounds normal.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: June 04, 2012, 06:44:33 pm »

My miner got hurt while sealing away the demons, it says he has an overlapping compound fracture in the right hip or something along those lines. He's been in the traction bench for several months now and is continuously evaluated by the doctors, but there isn't any change in his health screen about that compound fracture.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 422