Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881947 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1455 on: April 27, 2012, 01:04:46 pm »

Ok, another one - how do I stop two tantruming children? Sorry if this is a totally noobish question, other people seem to deal with tantrum spirals on a regular basis, but I've never had to cope with this in 3+ years of playing the game.

Dwarf Therapist lists their happiness at 0, a quick glance at their thoughts implies that they were pissed about having to run around naked. Yeah, so I uh.. kinda forgot about that, I'm still getting used to DF2012. My newly appointed clothier is now churning out shirts, trousers and shoes nonstop, but they won't pick up anything. Probably no time with all that furniture toppling, workshop destroying and punching adults in the face that's on their schedule right now.

I've already built a jail and appointed a guard captain, to no avail. The fortress is otherwise running great, so please.. help me do something about the rebellious kids 8(

Oh, and I'd prefer a solution that does not involve magma, goblins, my pair of giant anacondas, or anything else potentially fun, since they're part of a frighteningly large family.
Get them clothes as fast as possible, and make sure that they have nice bedrooms to sleep in and good food to drink. Then just wait. Either the happy thoughts will win out over the bad ones and they will stop tantruming, or they will go insane. At this point there isn't much you can do about that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 27, 2012, 02:18:22 pm »

What happens if I order my guards to kill dwarves via squad menu - is it one of those "I dont recommend doing that" options?

I have lost my hope when it comes to dwarven justice because homicidal vampires only receive short and ineffective punishments. Vampires kill dwarves, go to prison (small beating or 100-600 days in prison) and kill again immediately after they are released. I tried to lock them to isolated areas (burrows) but it's little use as they kill dwarves first, and they wont stay in burrow. I tried to lead them under a "atom smasher" but like previous attempt, they wont even go near that burrow. I tried to form a militia squad out of vampires, but while they equipped themselves they killed many dwarves and never made it to their assigned post (goodbye, suicide cavern scouting mission...).

At the moment I have a vampire who has killed 10 dwarves (4 of the victims during the this year), another has killed six (three this year) and third has killed four (one this year). All victims are either professional soldiers or legendary craftsmen so it's unbearable to let this continue. Talk about "nasty vampire problem" when even my queen is a vampire who has killed over thousand dwarves and humans!

Just witnessed a "beating" - one guard punched the killer of ten dwarves few times with his bare fists and that's it. Wohoo. And guess what, that vampire healed herself in few days, how nice.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:29:40 pm by Kuikka »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1457 on: April 27, 2012, 02:22:23 pm »

Your military will ignore orders to kill your own dwarves.  This is a good thing.  If you were actually able to order your military to kill your own dwarves, your fortress would then rapidly fall to a loyalty cascade, just as it does if you order them to kill traders or caravan guards.

Your best bet is to lure the vampire into a room with some job - for example, create a lever, set the permissions on the lever so only the vampire can pull it, cancel all the vampire's labors, and then set the lever to be pulled on repeat.  When the vampire goes into the room to pull the lever, wall him up in it forever.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: April 27, 2012, 02:50:24 pm »

Any way to increase the chance of a goblin siege? I have heard it has something to do with wealth.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: April 27, 2012, 03:12:13 pm »

Any way to increase the chance of a goblin siege? I have heard it has something to do with wealth.
The only guaranteed way to make goblins start sending actual sieges (not just ambushes!) is to have at least 80 dwarves. This is controlled by the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3] line in the goblin entity. At that point there are rumors about how having greater wealth will increase the size of the siege, but you have to have reached at least 80 dwarves to trigger the sieges. I'm fairly certain that once you reach 80 if your population drops again sieges will still keep coming, but you have to reach 80 at some point. If you want them to come earlier when you have less population then simply open up your entity_default.txt file, scroll down to the goblin entity, and change that line to [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:2] (or 1). Setting the value to 2 will make sieges begin to come when you have 50 dwarves, and a 1 will make them come at 20 dwarves. Don't set the value to 0 though, as that appears to make them ignore that value completely.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 27, 2012, 04:52:56 pm »

Does retraining an animal that reverted to a wild state contribute information to knowledge about that animal, or is it just the first time you train it? How does that animal knowledge thing work anyway?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 27, 2012, 05:06:25 pm »

Does retraining an animal that reverted to a wild state contribute information to knowledge about that animal, or is it just the first time you train it? How does that animal knowledge thing work anyway?

Unknown.  I haven't tested yet if training a single animal over and over again will increase the animal knowledge.  I have managed to get increased knowledge on multiple species in my current fort, but I'm fairly certain I trained more than one of each.  I do recall that Toady said that the knowledge increase only happens after the liaison and/or caravan make it back to the mountainhomes.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 27, 2012, 05:13:26 pm »

Unknown.  I haven't tested yet if training a single animal over and over again will increase the animal knowledge.  I have managed to get increased knowledge on multiple species in my current fort, but I'm fairly certain I trained more than one of each.  I do recall that Toady said that the knowledge increase only happens after the liaison and/or caravan make it back to the mountainhomes.
It does. Somebody found that out a while back while working with a roc that they wanted to train. Each time you retrain a wild animal (even a reverted one) will grant some knowledge on training the animal.

As for the animal knowledge thing, the list in the z-menu is the knowledge your current fort has of any animal. This can increase at any point in time by you training that animal more and increases in knowledge level make it easier to train that animal to higher levels. Each time the liaison then comes and leaves a (hidden) list of your civilization is granted a small amount of any new knowledge that you uncover. This knowledge then transfers over into any future forts that you make that start from that same civilization, though you are unable to reach the "domesticated" level this way as it requires other checks to happen first. In this way you can make it so that future forts start with "a general familiarity" for some animals that your past forts did not.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 27, 2012, 09:14:53 pm »

Does clutter reduce/add to the value of a room? Like the throne room I just carved out. Would it matter if I dumped all of the stone on the floor outside of the room or not?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 27, 2012, 09:16:17 pm »

Does clutter reduce/add to the value of a room? Like the throne room I just carved out. Would it matter if I dumped all of the stone on the floor outside of the room or not?
No. Only things that are built inside of a room matter, not the random items lying on the floor.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 27, 2012, 09:50:55 pm »

I have lost my hope when it comes to dwarven justice because homicidal vampires only receive short and ineffective punishments. Vampires kill dwarves, go to prison (small beating or 100-600 days in prison) and kill again immediately after they are released. I tried to lock them to isolated areas (burrows) but it's little use as they kill dwarves first, and they wont stay in burrow. I tried to lead them under a "atom smasher" but like previous attempt, they wont even go near that burrow. I tried to form a militia squad out of vampires, but while they equipped themselves they killed many dwarves and never made it to their assigned post (goodbye, suicide cavern scouting mission...).
You're over-thinking this. This is an incredibly simple process.

1) Build a room with a lockable door. Put a bed in it. Assign it as a bedroom for your vampire.

2) Wait for him to go there. It will take at least a season. There is no special mechanic here, it's just that he won't go to his room until he's sleepy like your non-Vampire dwarves.

3) Lock the door.

Your vampire will live in his room forever. He may get thirsty, but he won't die. And he'll never figure out how to get through that door.

If you want to get fancy you can arrange it so your Vampiric bedrooms are separated from your main fort, and during a siege you can lock all non-undead dorfs into the main fort fort and send the vamps out on a kamikaze mission. If getting your vamps separated from the main fort quick is important you should definitely give them their own rooms, because to get a Vamp barracks working properly you'd need to wait for all three of them to want to go to sleep at once.

Nick

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 27, 2012, 10:36:05 pm »

Vampires don't sleep.  They'll never use their bedroom.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 27, 2012, 10:40:35 pm »

Vampires don't sleep.  They'll never use their bedroom.
They'll probably still idle in it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 28, 2012, 03:13:28 am »

-snip quote-You're over-thinking this. This is an incredibly simple process.
-snip more-

You're clearly over-thinking it.

Build a lever in a room with a door, set lever profile so only the vampire can pull it, disable jobs on vampire, set lever to be pulled repeatedly, lock door behind vampire.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

kelumhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 28, 2012, 04:03:36 am »

Two questions if you dont mind,

1: When making a repeatable piston, how do i catch the lava that flows off the side and back down next to the piston?

2: Im having trouble understanding how to make soap. im pretty sure i have lye and rocknut oil available, but when i go to the soapmaker's workshop and hit 'a'dd new task then "make soap from oil" i only get a list of what is needed to do so and what it creates (i can uplaod a screen shot if needed). what am i doing wrong?
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 422