Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882165 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1125 on: April 06, 2012, 02:00:26 pm »

You could drop a dwarf (or kitten or other creature belonging to your fortress) into the pool.  They should live long enough to reach the bottom and count as having explored the magma sea.  Failing that, dig down to the sea with miners.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

shinkunosuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 06, 2012, 02:04:58 pm »

Thank you guys.  Now lets see how Urist McVampire likes his new hot tub. ^.^

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 06, 2012, 02:24:35 pm »

do you have dfhack reveal active? that could cause problems.

on the other hand, you can use dfhack to "activate" features such as magma.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 06, 2012, 08:53:45 pm »

[06]I had luck mass pitting vermin from the trap/cage, any vermin that didn't fly.  Its a little ackward.  With the pen not working, but the pond/pit working without that indicator on right side of the list.  And all the error scroll about misplaced vermin.  Whats with that? 

The ones that fly, however, I dunno how to eliminate them, since mass pitting doesn't seem to kill them.  Guess the intended method is to open the cage with a lever, in a locked room with a kitty.  I haven't had one vermin adopted, and I have a dozen available, atm.  *shrug*  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 06, 2012, 10:02:51 pm »

Between all my forts I've probably gone through 50+ years of game time, and never seen a single megabeast. I always set my worlds to have very high beasts, and usually have outrageous amounts of wealth after getting adamantine. What gives? How can I lure them to my fortress?

Funiculus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 06, 2012, 10:14:51 pm »

Beef:  I'm a bit of a n00b myself; but I've found that the more wealth I have on display (Gold statues, Silver columns, gem encrusted levers, cat skin everything), the more frequently bad things seem to find me.  Beyond that, dunno.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 06, 2012, 10:25:45 pm »

Can anyone link a guide to how training works? I am trying to figure out how my dwarves train for the military since I never see them doing anything.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 06, 2012, 10:34:51 pm »

Between all my forts I've probably gone through 50+ years of game time, and never seen a single megabeast. I always set my worlds to have very high beasts, and usually have outrageous amounts of wealth after getting adamantine. What gives? How can I lure them to my fortress?

Megabeasts also have a population requirement- I think it defaults to 80. If that is the root cause of your lack of beasties, you can set the Attack Trigger lower when using the more detailed world gen.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 06, 2012, 10:36:13 pm »

Can anyone link a guide to how training works? I am trying to figure out how my dwarves train for the military since I never see them doing anything.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Military_quickstart
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Danger_room

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 06, 2012, 10:43:36 pm »

I read those. But my dwarves don't seem to be getting any better nor do they ever appear in the training room.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 06, 2012, 10:44:41 pm »

I read those. But my dwarves don't seem to be getting any better nor do they ever appear in the training room.

Is the squad on duty in the current month? Are they active on the current alert level? Have you assigned them to train in that barracks?

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 06, 2012, 11:00:31 pm »

Is the squad on duty in the current month? Are they active on the current alert level? Have you assigned them to train in that barracks?
Yes 5 should be on duty at all times. It is on Active/Training alert level.

I am not sure they are assigned. That might be it. I went to (a)ssign and it is telling me to assign individuals instead of groups <_<;;.

edit: I clicked (t)rain hopefully they will begin training.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:02:46 pm by Darthlawsuit »

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 06, 2012, 11:05:51 pm »

Yeah, I just keep all 10/10 on duty all the time. They'll skip training long enough to eat, drink and sleep, and you really don't need them wasting any more time than that.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 06, 2012, 11:08:48 pm »

Yeah, I just keep all 10/10 on duty all the time. They'll skip training long enough to eat, drink and sleep, and you really don't need them wasting any more time than that.
I have had a shortage of people for a while. I got up to a pop of 90 and through a lot of "Fun" my adult population dropped to 25 while my child pop was about 23...

I needed workers. Still do as many keep dying. I have stopped most of the dying though :D

I have a bunch of trolls in cages..... What do I do with them? Can I train them?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:10:30 pm by Darthlawsuit »

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 06, 2012, 11:22:44 pm »

I have had a shortage of people for a while. I got up to a pop of 90 and through a lot of "Fun" my adult population dropped to 25 while my child pop was about 23...

I needed workers. Still do as many keep dying. I have stopped most of the dying though :D

I have a bunch of trolls in cages..... What do I do with them? Can I train them?

You can't train them. All they're good for is training for your military. I don't bother with that, I just toss all of them down my 25 z level pit for the splat.

There's a guide here if you want to try a similar system.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Mass_pitting
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 422