Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882257 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1020 on: April 02, 2012, 05:48:04 pm »

Have you designated already the areas to be dug before designing the burrow?

For me it don't work. Let me rephrase. Say you have a tunnel, with 2 walls. You define a burrow that should encompass, the tunnel, the 2 walls plus extra tiles on each side. Then you tell your miner to dig all the area. For me, it will dig the 2 walls (and uncover new tiles in the process), and then stop. If I look at the burrow, I see that the newly discovered tiles are not in the burrow, even if the rectangle I used to define it (the burrow) encompassed them all.

This has changed.  Hopefully in error.  I would submit as a bug and see if it's classed as a bug or intended.  It might be that the prior implementation was unintended, but I doubt it.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 02, 2012, 06:24:04 pm »

I had a migrant wave include a dwarf missing half of one leg. He was in the middle of hopping his way into my fort, but then a giant arrived. The other migrants made it into the fort, but that one dwarf was caught by the giant. The giant attacked him, tearing the other leg off, and has been strangling that one dwarf for the past three seasons. My dwarf won't die, and the giant is too busy strangling to do anything else. I'm not particularly attatched to that dwarf, but I would like to cage the giant. Will the dwarf die eventually, or have I encountered a bug of soem sort?

Sounds like your giant might have caught a one-legged vampire.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 02, 2012, 06:39:12 pm »

A dwarf is a lot heavier than a mole dog. Gravity is a bitch.

I don't know how the game models gravity, but in real life, a dwarf and a mole dog would both accelerate at the same rate, unless one of them has a greater amount of drag due to air friction.

IRL, lighter creatures can fall farther with less damage, in spite of the common amounts of acceleration.

The reason is because smaller creatures have a greater strength-to-weight ratio. For example, an ant can carry 200 times its body weight. Humans can barely carry their body weight twice over even if they're in great shape. So even if terminal velocity wasn't in their favor, ants would be able to hit the ground at a significantly higher speed than humans can without taking damage.

Another way to look at it (and part of the reason for the strength-to-weight ratio) is based on the fact that surface area increases slower than volume, so larger creatures tend to have more force on each cell that hits the ground, because each cell contacting the ground is responsible for stopping more cells...and the design of a cell doesn't vary that much between animals of different sizes, so larger creatures are (in general) more likely to squish their cells. Longer, thinner, broader creatures with more surface area would tend to have an advantage over thick, squat creatures for this reason as well.

Drop a mouse from a kilometer up, it might get bruised.

Drop a cat from a kilometer up, it might break a couple bones.

Drop a human from a kilometer up, they will almost certainly die horribly.

Drop a horse from a kilometer up, it will *splash*

That's real life.  Don't know if Toady has implemented mass and strength into falling damage, but it looks like he might have.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 02, 2012, 06:49:46 pm »

What's better, a platinum artifact mace or an adamantine battle axe? I could get the guy legendary in either skill.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 02, 2012, 07:05:55 pm »

What's better, a platinum artifact mace or an adamantine battle axe? I could get the guy legendary in either skill.
I'm fairly sure the axe. Either one is going to be pretty damn awesome, though.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 02, 2012, 07:09:19 pm »

Either one will be awesome, but the axe will do better against creatures that typically must be cut into pieces, like metallic creatures.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 03, 2012, 04:48:48 am »

I had a migrant wave include a dwarf missing half of one leg. He was in the middle of hopping his way into my fort, but then a giant arrived. The other migrants made it into the fort, but that one dwarf was caught by the giant. The giant attacked him, tearing the other leg off, and has been strangling that one dwarf for the past three seasons. My dwarf won't die, and the giant is too busy strangling to do anything else. I'm not particularly attatched to that dwarf, but I would like to cage the giant. Will the dwarf die eventually, or have I encountered a bug of soem sort?

Sounds like your giant might have caught a one-legged vampire.

Heh, havn't even considered that. That would be great! One legged vampire wrestling with a giant, only in DF.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 03, 2012, 04:05:59 pm »

#1. How do I delete a wall section?
#2. I scheduled a wall section to be built but a rock was in the way. Now it is still designated as que'ed for build but it never gets built. How do I remove the wall build designation?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 03, 2012, 04:10:25 pm »

Dear Darthlawsuit,

While I have not verified this in the most current version, I think the answers are still the same:

#1: If you have a constructed wall that has been finished, you can order it to be removed via the 'd'esignating function. You have to select remove construction (sorry, I forgot the exact key).

#2: If the wall was not finished because of an object blocking its location, this means it has been suspended. As long as a construction is not finished, you can 'q'uery it. By doing this, you can either select to suspend or unsuspend it, or cancel its construction order.

Yours,
Deathworks

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 03, 2012, 04:12:13 pm »

#1. How do I delete a wall section?
#2. I scheduled a wall section to be built but a rock was in the way. Now it is still designated as que'ed for build but it never gets built. How do I remove the wall build designation?
1.[d]->[n] to designate constructions to be deconstructed.

2. [q]->[x] to delete "blueprints", also used to deconstruct buildings.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 03, 2012, 04:16:24 pm »

Thanks both of ya :D now I can get rid of a bunch of O's and walls i wanted knocked down

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: April 03, 2012, 04:47:04 pm »

Someone knows why every_single_migrant is arriving at my fortress with at least competent level in a weapon? Very rarely I see one migrant with a higher weapon skill, but I never saw a migrant whi had no weapon skill. Maybe it is a bug?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1032 on: April 03, 2012, 04:48:42 pm »

Someone knows why every_single_migrant is arriving at my fortress with at least competent level in a weapon? Very rarely I see one migrant with a higher weapon skill, but I never saw a migrant whi had no weapon skill. Maybe it is a bug?

Side effect of dwarves being drawn from historical populations.  Your dwarven civilization has probably fought a lot of wars.  Check your immigrants, some of them may have impressive kill lists.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 03, 2012, 04:51:32 pm »

Dear thvaz,

Migrants are now taken from the population created during world gen. As I understand it, the wars during world gen give the historic figures involved at least a basic level in combat skill. Basically, you get migrants with combat training because they come from a world where they had to defend themselves in the past. So, it is not a bug but a feature.

Theoretically, if you picked a civilization that had no wars in its history, you should get very few dwarves with combat skill.

Yours,
Deathworks

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 03, 2012, 04:57:33 pm »

Thanks Deathworks, I imagined that as I know migrants are drawn from world gen, but I thought very weird...everyone but the children and a few "elite" with the same level of skill. The last civilizations certainly had wars recently...maybe we have to test with civilizations with no wars in its history.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 422