Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882266 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1005 on: April 02, 2012, 03:04:11 am »

1. is silver slightly better than iron for bolts, as it is more dense (I think?)

2. if you abandon your fortress, are the dwarves sent to limbo space or they are added back to the Dwarves settlements?

Silver is better because crossbow bolts are a BLUNT attack (for some reason).  So heavier bolt == better bolt.  Copper is also heavier than iron, but lighter than silver.

Yes, I just had dwarf from an abandoned fort migrate to my new fort.  He still had his nickname!  Oh "__omni__", you did every job until almost everyone died of thirst.

A 5-second expedition into the raws gives me this:

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS]
[NAME:bolt:bolts]
[CLASS:BOLT]
[SIZE:150]
[ATTACK:EDGE:2:2000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]

So, no, they're not blunt. Silver's better because of inertia more than anything. Copper should also be good, steel as well.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 02, 2012, 03:13:21 am »

Woops, I see what I did.  Looked at crossbow as a melee weapon.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW]
[NAME:crossbow:crossbows]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLT]
[SHOOT_FORCE:1000]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:1000]  This is just to make sure a near-weightless object doesn't go faster than the string could possibly go.
[TWO_HANDED:0]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:15000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:4000:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:1250]

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 02, 2012, 04:24:57 am »

Still, you all menace with spikes of awesomeness with these answers. First, I can play with the idea that silver bolts are for my elite marksdwarves, not some low skill newbies. And then I can also enjoy the thought that I can raise the overall skill level of the Dwarven civilization by making several forts in the same world.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 02, 2012, 04:30:54 am »

Also, I just chucked a naked mole dog from +4 to -6 yet it survived. I thought a depth of ten was guaranteed splatter? :( Of course, it's still dying as the nervous tissue of the upper spine is eviscerated, but still.

science in that area has shown that it is fatal in 99% of the cases, variety possible for different creatures and possibly armor, which is why I always go for about 14 z levels.

____

The dwarf should die at some point
Yeah, I was chucking animals. Rhesus macaques and naked mole dogs survived it for about 60% of the time. Even though a Dwarf would be dead after two z-s. :U
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 02, 2012, 05:10:00 am »

Ok here's a difficult one, don't make me create a new thread  :D

I have the luck to have a brook with a little waterfall one tile deep...imagine I want to recreate that waterfall for my fort to take advantage of the mist.
The only way to make the most of it would be place it around a "main staircase" (3x3), try to imagine the little waterfall just one tile away from it (then it goes back to the other "half" of the river)
Now the question: how is going to spread the mist? I have no idea: is it going be able to go one z level down? How far will it go?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 02, 2012, 08:42:39 am »

Still, you all menace with spikes of awesomeness with these answers. First, I can play with the idea that silver bolts are for my elite marksdwarves, not some low skill newbies. And then I can also enjoy the thought that I can raise the overall skill level of the Dwarven civilization by making several forts in the same world.

exactly what I've been doing. My computer isn't that up to date so at some point I abandon due to fps death. I'm now regularly getting legendary migrants that I could swear I've seen before, hey isn't that the accountant from my first fort?

Getting a legendary +5 miner and a legendary grower in the first 2 migrant waves will really speed things up. Seeing that legendary weaponsmith or armorsmith that you trained from childhood will bring a tear to your eye and fear to your enemies ("crap, he lives here now? I hoped he was dead when that fort was abandoned."). Also, highly skilled animal trainers are important now and the game doesn't seem to cough those up very often, so having them practiced in an older fort saves a lot of effort.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 02, 2012, 11:33:18 am »

quick little question. I think I read somewhere that tamed/trained animals stopped flying. Is that still true? that would take the fun out of giant war Kea
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 02, 2012, 12:09:15 pm »

Yeah, I was chucking animals. Rhesus macaques and naked mole dogs survived it for about 60% of the time. Even though a Dwarf would be dead after two z-s. :U

A dwarf is a lot heavier than a mole dog. Gravity is a bitch.

I usually drop immigrant pets down a shaft (only legendaries allowed to have pets, sorry)
and while a goat will have its own bones run through the heart from the force of the impact, and bleed to death,
guinea pigs fall on their heads and it only bruises the skin.

This way I separated a cavy pup from its master, and she was spamming the announcement log with
Can't give water, animal inaccessible

for a month or so, until the guinea pig starved to death.
However, the spamming did not stop, it still tried to give water to something, even after I atom-smashed the corpse.
So I atom smashed the hauler to make the log readable again.

Must be a bug.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 02, 2012, 12:10:57 pm »

corpse not found, just missing, so the owner didn't know water was not going to help.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 02, 2012, 12:16:47 pm »

I was wondering if the cause of the demise of a caravan is important for the civilization losing it. i.e will the Elves be as mad against me if they lose their caravan against reanimated corpses, compared to me killing the caravan outright?

you know, evil biome. You can enter the edge, you are not sure to reach the fortress!  :o

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 02, 2012, 12:22:17 pm »

Pretty much yeah, you're responsible for security near your fort and they'll blame it on you should anything happen to them. They don't usually go to war though.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 02, 2012, 12:32:16 pm »

I don't know how the game models gravity, but in real life, a dwarf and a mole dog would both accelerate at the same rate, unless one of them has a greater amount of drag due to air friction.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 02, 2012, 12:32:58 pm »

I was wondering if the cause of the demise of a caravan is important for the civilization losing it. i.e will the Elves be as mad against me if they lose their caravan against reanimated corpses, compared to me killing the caravan outright?

you know, evil biome. You can enter the edge, you are not sure to reach the fortress!  :o
The elves will blame you for the loss regardless of the cause of death.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1018 on: April 02, 2012, 12:38:14 pm »

I don't know how the game models gravity, but in real life, a dwarf and a mole dog would both accelerate at the same rate, unless one of them has a greater amount of drag due to air friction.

In Dwarf Fortress, all creatures fall at a constant rate of 1 Z-level per 6 ticks.  There is no acceleration, it's a constant falling motion.

Somehow, even though the speed of a falling object is constant and unrelated to the distance fallen, damage does increase with distance.  There may also be a relationship between size of the creature and how much it is harmed, but I haven't seen any well-documented science on this yet.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 02, 2012, 04:52:28 pm »

IRL, lighter creatures can fall farther with less damage, in spite of the common amounts of acceleration.

The reason is because smaller creatures have a greater strength-to-weight ratio. For example, an ant can carry 200 times its body weight. Humans can barely carry their body weight twice over even if they're in great shape. So even if terminal velocity wasn't in their favor, ants would be able to hit the ground at a significantly higher speed than humans can without taking damage.

Another way to look at it (and part of the reason for the strength-to-weight ratio) is based on the fact that surface area increases slower than volume, so larger creatures tend to have more force on each cell that hits the ground, because each cell contacting the ground is responsible for stopping more cells...and the design of a cell doesn't vary that much between animals of different sizes, so larger creatures are (in general) more likely to squish their cells. Longer, thinner, broader creatures with more surface area would tend to have an advantage over thick, squat creatures for this reason as well.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 422