Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882592 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #450 on: March 05, 2012, 02:41:06 am »

So, I made the mistake of assuming wood barrels and rock pots were used identically. In an effort to conserve wood, I just made a bunch of rock pots. The result--all my food has just been laying out, and now I've got flies galore.

If I rush production of barrels, will dwarves automatically start sticking the food in them, or do I have to designate this labor somehow?

hrm rock pots should be used just like barrels if nothing has changed.

Except for large prepared meals.  They sit out in the open, but if they are in a food stockpile they will not rot.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 05, 2012, 05:01:38 am »

I'm in search of a 'medical courses and how to heal injuries' tutorial for dummies (me!!). Aside from the wiki, anything else? I can't even seems to cure light wounds  :o

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 05, 2012, 05:15:43 am »

I'm in search of a 'medical courses and how to heal injuries' tutorial for dummies (me!!). Aside from the wiki, anything else? I can't even seems to cure light wounds  :o

Create hospital zone.  Put some Beds, Tables, and chests or bags in the zone.  Traction benches too when you can.  Assign a chief medical dwarf and some medical dwarves.  Wait for stubborn, drunk, idiot dwarves to choose to go to the doctor.

Fixed it up a bit.  Thanks :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:33:18 pm by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 05, 2012, 05:18:45 am »

So, it's been a few years since I've played DF. I think I get the jist of the military, but is there a way that I can get someone to do something with all the wolverine corpses that I have? I have an axedorf that kills them as soon as they come in, so they don't disturb my lumberjacks, but I'm kinda low on meat, so it would be nice to use the wolverine corpses. Also, if a Yak dies of old age, can I get the meat from that somehow?
-st

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 05, 2012, 05:43:28 am »

So, it's been a few years since I've played DF. I think I get the jist of the military, but is there a way that I can get someone to do something with all the wolverine corpses that I have? I have an axedorf that kills them as soon as they come in, so they don't disturb my lumberjacks, but I'm kinda low on meat, so it would be nice to use the wolverine corpses. Also, if a Yak dies of old age, can I get the meat from that somehow?

You have to set them to collect from outdoors.  Also filter the vermin corpses option if you do have them collect from outdoors if you have active outdoor cats.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 05, 2012, 08:57:15 am »

So, I made the mistake of assuming wood barrels and rock pots were used identically.

hrm rock pots should be used just like barrels if nothing has changed.

Except for large prepared meals.  They sit out in the open, but if they are in a food stockpile they will not rot.

The only difference between a barrel and a pot is the pot can't be used at the farmer's workshop to process sweet pods into dwarven syrup.  That reaction requires a barrel (either wood or metal), not a pot.  (Bug 4356)

Otherwise, they both store food the same way -- stacks of 10 or less can fit, but larger stacks will just sit on the ground.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 05, 2012, 09:01:47 am »

Create hospital zone.  Put some chests or bags in the zone.  Assign a chief medical dwarf and some medical dwarves.  Wait for stubborn, drunk, idiot dwarves to choose to go to the doctor.

Also put some beds in the hospital.  I'd say those are more important than the chests/bags.  Most dwarves won't go to the hospital under their own power -- they'll usually be carried there.  If the hospital has no beds, then they'll either be diagnosed and treated in their own bedroom (wherever that may be), or they could be carried to a random bed (??).

In order to make your doctors give medicine a high priority, you probably need to disable all other labors, especially hauling.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 05, 2012, 10:16:59 am »

A thing I figured out is to turn off prepared meals at the Kitch food stockpile. Turn on everything except drinks and prepared meals. Then put 2 stockpiles very close to your cafeteria. In on, turn off all food EXCEPT for prepared meals. And the other one is just for drinks. All the raw ingredients are right there by the kitchen buildings and the preapred food is taken to the dining room. This turns out to be very space efficient, space wise. A good prepared meal can be stacked very high, like 50 or so. This solves the problem of running out of storage space and making food hauling much faster too, since its only one trip to carry 50 prepared roasts instead of 50 trips to carry 1 plump helmet at a time. For example. You can have you farms at the surface and the food storage deep down by the magma forges without requiring so much hauling labor. Any food that comes in large stacks is great for cooking. Eggs, tallow, quarry bushes...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:48:17 pm by GoldenShadow »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 05, 2012, 12:00:54 pm »

Couple questions on ice -> water dumping

Must the final level it lands on have no ice or doesn't it matter?

What exactly is required to disconnect the block and make it fall? Channels around it and space below obviously, what about above? Do I have to mine it out or what?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 05, 2012, 01:53:24 pm »

Couple questions on ice -> water dumping

Must the final level it lands on have no ice or doesn't it matter?

What exactly is required to disconnect the block and make it fall? Channels around it and space below obviously, what about above? Do I have to mine it out or what?

The idea is to drop the ice below the surface where it will warm up.  If it lands on ice, it's not below the surface-- you've got to drop it lower than that.

To disconnect the block, it must be disconnected from all adjacent rock/ice, including the ceiling, so yes, you have to mine out the ceiling.  But be aware that if you expose the area to the outside by taking out the top layer of ice, your caved-in ice won't melt, because it won't be considered underground.

This means that to get a single layer of ice dropped into water, you need at least 3 z-levels of ice.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 05, 2012, 02:05:10 pm »

Admantine caps use cloth to be made.  Do these caps rot like clothing, or are they considered an armor and not rot?  i need to know before I forge the caps as I don't want to waste my materials.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 05, 2012, 02:09:39 pm »

As of last version, adamantine caps were vulnerable to wear, same as any other clothing.  I don't imagine that it's changed.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 05, 2012, 03:13:37 pm »

As of last version, adamantine caps were vulnerable to wear, same as any other clothing.  I don't imagine that it's changed.

Thanks Nil!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 05, 2012, 06:34:11 pm »

Create hospital zone.  Put some Beds, Tables, and chests or bags in the zone.  Traction benches too when you can.  Assign a chief medical dwarf and some medical dwarves.  Wait for stubborn, drunk, idiot dwarves to choose to go to the doctor.

Fixed it up a bit.  Thanks :)

Also put some beds in the hospital.  I'd say those are more important than the chests/bags.  Most dwarves won't go to the hospital under their own power -- they'll usually be carried there.  If the hospital has no beds, then they'll either be diagnosed and treated in their own bedroom (wherever that may be), or they could be carried to a random bed (??).

In order to make your doctors give medicine a high priority, you probably need to disable all other labors, especially hauling.

Put my edits in original post and this post as well, thanks for the catch!

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #464 on: March 05, 2012, 07:09:31 pm »

Has the truetype fonts crashing been fixed in the latest version? That is the on thing that drives me crazy about .31 because it hurts my eyes to play with truetype fonts off.

Also, in my quest to upgrade, are there any other show stopping crashes/bugs that get in the way that weren't in .31?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 422