Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882558 times)

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #480 on: March 07, 2012, 12:47:42 am »

I am having some troubles with stockpiles.  I created a furniture stockpile that accepted only sand bags next to the glass forge.  I then set sand to collect, however the bags are being filled and left at the sand collection zone. 

(1) Make sure the stockpile has empty spaces.
(2) Make sure haulers are available.
(3) Make sure you did not disable anything but "types" in the furniture stockpile.  You must permit all core qualities, all total qualities, and all materials.  Only disable types.  And make sure "u: Sand bags" is brightly lit.

Thank you, I enabled core and total qualities and the sand bag stockpile is functioning.  I didn't have to permit all materials though.

I am also having trouble trying to seperate adamantine thread from other cloth.  Adamantine has its own stockpile, and the only other cloth stockpile has metal thread disabled, but the dwarves will only use the main cloth stockpile.

Know how to get to the mantis bug reporter?  If you doublecheck your settings and they are correct, then smells like a bug.

I had a look at the bug tracker, it is already reported, issue #0004473.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 07, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »

Weird question... how do you remove a down stair? I'm especially interested because I consistently use up/down stairs to sink exploratory shafts for finding magma, and I often run into the caverns. I can remove the up of the up/down, but... not the down?
I just build up stairs there. It works fine.

Nick

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 07, 2012, 02:30:23 pm »

Is there any way to trap enemies in a deathtrap - magma, water, marksmen training, whatever - that isn't vulnerable to building destroyers?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 07, 2012, 02:41:04 pm »

Use bridges?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 07, 2012, 02:48:52 pm »

Aren't bridges destroyable when they aren't retracted/raised?

Why is my tame jabberer killing me omg.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:57:09 pm by Yaotzin »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #485 on: March 07, 2012, 03:37:58 pm »

Building destroyers don't seem to have any interest in destroying bridges.  I've used bridge-based traps to contain forgotten beasts safely.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 07, 2012, 03:39:38 pm »

O. Cool, easy to set up then.

Anyone know why a jabberer I tamed then attacked me when I pastured it :?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #487 on: March 07, 2012, 03:40:41 pm »

Did the jabberer arrive as part of a siege?  Invader mounts are always hostile, even if you tame them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 07, 2012, 03:43:51 pm »

Oh are they :*(

Will all caverns-critters eventually spawn randomly down in the caverns, or are there restrictions based on biome or something?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 07, 2012, 08:33:12 pm »

Sigh, can't get my stupid marksdorfs to train consistently.

I have a 3man marksdorf squad with xbows and such. They equipped it all fine, they have a xbow, a quiver with 5x5 bone bolts, and there are 5 archery ranges for them to shoot at. Set for them to train and all.

Yet, after training maybe once or twice each, they just go into "Soldier (no activity)" mode, and stop training completely.

Any ideas :?

Also, what exactly does the ammunition stat mean? Is it simply how much each marksdorf must carry? IE there's no point putting it over 25v5?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 07, 2012, 08:39:45 pm »

Have the dwarves that have stopped training used up all of their ammunition?  If so, they won't train again until a)more ammunition exists b)that ammunition is assigned to them by the game and c)they go pick up that ammunition.  One reason this gets screwed up is if bolts are unforbidden and set to dump-- they can be re-assigned to a dwarf when unforbidden, and then the dump makes them forbidden again, and the dwarf is only assigned a bunch of forbidden ammo.

The ammunition stat represents how much ammunition the squad (not the dwarf) is assigned-- how much ammunition is reserved for the squad.  I don't know the maximum a single dwarf can carry, but if you had a 10-strong squad, you'd want to assign them ten times that amount.  Say, a good 500 bolts or so.

Ammunition is assigned in the order that dwarves show up on the military screen, so by default, your first 100 bolts are reserved for hunting, then your next x bolts for your first squad, then your next x bolts for the second squad, etc.  This can make it seem like your marksdwarves aren't picking up ammo, because 100 bolts are assigned to the hunters.

It's all very difficult to figure out, and can be frustrating.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 07, 2012, 08:50:51 pm »

Have the dwarves that have stopped training used up all of their ammunition?  If so, they won't train again until a)more ammunition exists b)that ammunition is assigned to them by the game and c)they go pick up that ammunition.  One reason this gets screwed up is if bolts are unforbidden and set to dump-- they can be re-assigned to a dwarf when unforbidden, and then the dump makes them forbidden again, and the dwarf is only assigned a bunch of forbidden ammo.
No they have like 25 bone bolts in their quivers, and ~600 in stockpiles. They just won't go train with them.
The ammunition stat represents how much ammunition the squad (not the dwarf) is assigned-- how much ammunition is reserved for the squad.  I don't know the maximum a single dwarf can carry, but if you had a 10-strong squad, you'd want to assign them ten times that amount.  Say, a good 500 bolts or so.
Ah for the whole squad, alright.
Ammunition is assigned in the order that dwarves show up on the military screen, so by default, your first 100 bolts are reserved for hunting, then your next x bolts for your first squad, then your next x bolts for the second squad, etc.  This can make it seem like your marksdwarves aren't picking up ammo, because 100 bolts are assigned to the hunters.

It's all very difficult to figure out, and can be frustrating.
No kidding...the game desperately needs a proper error log - if I could just know what the hitch was...

ATM 1 guy has 5x5 bolts, and the other 2 have 5x3 bolts. Dunno why the other 2 haven't filled up, but surely the first guy should be training...sigh.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 07, 2012, 09:10:51 pm »

Ah! I found mention somewhere that making channels to save bolts can break things, and it appears that's what was happening. Training is still annoyingly on and off, but that appears to be down to dwarf laziness, the bastards.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 07, 2012, 09:34:10 pm »

Can a door function if it's diagonal?

WW
  DW
    W

or will I be unable to even construct that?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 07, 2012, 09:45:22 pm »

Can a door function if it's diagonal?

WW
  DW
    W

or will I be unable to even construct that?

You can construct it, and it will work fine.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 422