Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878485 times)

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6060 on: March 14, 2014, 07:00:30 pm »

I would have to discord on Garath on the bolt thing (although, if you were like me, you would have selected all dropped bolts for melting, regardless of quality), although not on the food thing.

As soon as a bolt disappears from the sight of the overseer, a hairy invisible skinless troll from the 7th Astral Plane of Kom'Ra teleports to where the bolt is and takes it upon itself to stuff it into his Spotted Kangaroo Elephant Leather Quiver and then dances the hokey-pokey in front of whoever fired the bolt. Saddened by the inexpression of the dwarf (trolls aren't that smart to understand they can't see him dance), he frowns and walks upon a dimensional portal to a land filled with candy and gumdrops. He then passes the remainder of his days besides candypeople until Kom'Ra summons him, which is about a few seconds after he steps into the portal.

Really something tale aside, either you're melting the masterwork bolts accidentally or you are losing them by firing (which is something I could eventually check...eventually). In hindsight, you could always share your current fortress, maybe it's something we're not seeing through.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: March 15, 2014, 01:26:43 am »

I've used hundreds of MW quality bone bolts, even destroying the lesser quality ones in an effort to reduce clutterso I know MW bolts got destroyed in shooting at a range or a creature, and I never had a bad thought. Is metal that much different?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: March 15, 2014, 03:03:34 am »

Doktoro: FurnaceClans, the fort I'm basing the youtube series on, is always available (on request) for download.  It'd be hard to prove that the videos aren't lies if I didn't. :)

However, after 4 events of crankiness, 2 seasons later she's stopped whining at me and she's 'happy' (from ecstatic)... well, that works.

I haven't recreated the events, I don't know what fired them.  The only materials I regularly melt are in a stockpile that specifically excludes MW/Leg, so I'm simply boggled at her reactions... and now it's too late to figure out why.  FurnaceClans is pure ironman, simply because I refuse to look like a moron in public and publish some video with something that randomly no longer exists because I typed die in DFHack.

If it starts recurring, I'll fire up a few dozen bolt creations.  If nothing else, that should get me out of the mess.  I just have no idea why it started.  >:(

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: March 17, 2014, 02:30:57 am »

If I set my military to use two shields and no weapons, some dwarves will equip two shields on one hand, and no shield on the other (according to dwarf therapist). Is there a difference in terms of fighting mechanics? If yes, what is the best setup and how to achieve it consistently?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: March 17, 2014, 04:15:23 am »

no difference afaik
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: March 20, 2014, 03:38:40 pm »

how did it get there?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: March 20, 2014, 03:55:10 pm »

What's "it" that which you are referring to? IIRC cave fish spawn anywhere there is water on caverns and blood has the inconvenience of spreading whenever water flows.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: March 20, 2014, 04:45:30 pm »

why did the cave fish spawn there?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:33:37 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: March 20, 2014, 07:04:49 pm »

why did the cave fish spawn there?
Vermin magically teleport to appropriate squares in their home biome.

If you don't like cave fish appearing in random underground places where water has appeared your only option is to draft a bunch of fisherdwarves, because after they catch all the cave fish assigned to that biome no more can spawn there.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: March 21, 2014, 09:10:08 am »

Displayed vermin fish appear to have little to no bearing on whether (and if yes, which) fish will be caught in a body of water. Cave fish often become visible in cavern lakes, but fisherdwarfs will never catch any.

PS: found the report: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5703
In a nutshell: fishing in caverns suffers from a bug which makes it fail practically always, even if vermin fish are allocated.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:54:09 am by Larix »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: March 21, 2014, 08:52:33 pm »

I have embarked on a rocky wasteland with no trees or shrubs. Can I get them if I flood the map?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: March 21, 2014, 10:01:41 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't think so. They need existing trees to spread the sapling AFAIK. A viable alternative is to dig out a massive area in a soil layer, if possible, and breach the caverns. The moss and fungiwood should spread there in a reasonable timeframe.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: March 21, 2014, 10:13:21 pm »

Back to DF after a bit of a hiatus. A couple of questions.
First, is there a way to set up a stockpile to accept only items that have been decorated? In my last fort i had a furniture stockpile next to my jeweler, who was constantly encrusting. I didn't realize that gemdorfs would decorate the same item more than once, or that they would prefer nearby items (i guess that's what was happening). I ended up with a pigtail fiber bag worth more than 22k urists and an unengraved slab worth upwards of 60k. Something i would like to avoid in the future.
Second, can I modify the material properties of a stone for a game already in progress, or do i have to gen a new world? I want my obsidian shortswords to not be terrible.
Thanks.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: March 22, 2014, 03:14:07 am »

Back to DF after a bit of a hiatus. A couple of questions.
First, is there a way to set up a stockpile to accept only items that have been decorated? In my last fort i had a furniture stockpile next to my jeweler, who was constantly encrusting. I didn't realize that gemdorfs would decorate the same item more than once, or that they would prefer nearby items (i guess that's what was happening). I ended up with a pigtail fiber bag worth more than 22k urists and an unengraved slab worth upwards of 60k. Something i would like to avoid in the future.
Second, can I modify the material properties of a stone for a game already in progress, or do i have to gen a new world? I want my obsidian shortswords to not be terrible.
Thanks.

Stockpiles can be set to accept only items of specific base quality or total quality. It's not possible to set own stockpile for decorated things. I usually make a specific stockpile next to jeweller's workshops and set it to accept only thing I want to be decorated and then order dwarves to take things from my main finished goods stockpile to that stockpile.

And yes, you can mod your material properties without generating new world. Mainly changes in entity_default require new world.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 422