Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878468 times)

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6090 on: April 03, 2014, 03:41:32 am »

(o)rders -> (F)orbid
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: April 03, 2014, 06:02:16 pm »

I've got an injured soldier.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He is not bleeding or anything, he is conscious. He sits in the battlefield, obviously unable to walk. He is thirsty and in spite of having booze in his waterskin, he don't drink, probably due to impared grasp ability. Here is the problem: nobody is going to bring him to hospital or give water. How can I save him?
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: April 03, 2014, 06:08:02 pm »

Injured soldiers failing to Rest so that they can be treated is pretty common.  Usually the problem corrects itself, eventually, either by the soldier finally realizing she's wounded and needs Rest, or by her collapsing from exhaustion.

Failing that, sometimes I've been able to work around it by issuing a squad move order, waiting a little while, and then canceling it.  But this is not consistent.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sovereign

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: April 06, 2014, 02:29:56 am »

How can i get rid of skeletons and partial ones? My embark has a ocean tile and now three dead orcas have washed up on the shore. Dumping doesnt seem to work.
Is there a way to move them?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: April 06, 2014, 09:37:14 am »

By default, dwarves will not gather refuse (which includes dump orders) on outdoor tiles.  This can be changed in the options.  I think the keystroke sequence is o r o but I'm not 100% sure.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

scionkirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: April 07, 2014, 04:51:10 pm »

As for the soldier not being rescued - I have experienced, and I believe !SCIENCE! has confirmed, the 'rescue injured' job doesn't have any higher priority than any other job, so if you have a very busy fort, it could take awhile for a dwarf to get around to it.  I've seen dwarves collect goblin loot and reset traps before getting injured troops off the battlefield.  Best way around it is assigned an ambulance squad whose only enabled job is to rescue wounded.

thesuker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: April 08, 2014, 05:22:57 am »

So, I've created a world and disembarked in an area where there are multiple shallow and deep metals, but unfortunately it's all full of marble and absolutely no iron ore, but quite a bit of lead+silver, which I can't use to make armor.  So here I am, armoring up my military dwarfs in all sorts of bizarre combinations of bone+metal+wood items, and I was wondering, what would be a realistic option to armor them in iron items?  Wait for a dwarf caravan to come and buy it from them?  Keep on digging until I find iron ore?  Wait until goblins start appearing and melt their iron items?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: April 08, 2014, 05:29:28 am »

Goblinite + smelting everything that is iron/steel from the caravan.
If you're not above exploits, you could smelt one steel bar from caravan goods and then forge things that are melted for more than the material used.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

thesuker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: April 08, 2014, 05:35:50 am »

So, my next question is, how do I 'encourage' goblins to come to pay me a visit? By creating wealth?  Also, I found a cavern deep underground.  Would exploring it increase my chances of finding goblins or iron ore? (Never have explored one before)

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: April 08, 2014, 05:58:45 am »

Goblin time to arrival depends on distance to your settlement.
Goblin frequency and amount depends on wealth.
AFAIK.

RtDs!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: April 08, 2014, 07:24:09 am »

It's also extremely random, seemingly no matter what you do.  I've gone 5+ years without so much as an ambush despite equipping 20 soldiers with full suits of steel weapons and armor that increased my fort's wealth by an order of magnitude.

Exploring the caverns doesn't directly influence that so far as I know, but it might factor into migrant wave sizes.  I've read claims that the number of tiles mined influences that, but have no idea if the game treats the caverns as mined in that sense, probably not.  The caverns might help you spot iron ore, but again, likely not if you haven't seen it anywhere else on the way down to the caverns.  Most iron ore should be visible in the first few layers.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: April 08, 2014, 10:55:02 am »

How can i get rid of skeletons and partial ones? My embark has a ocean tile and now three dead orcas have washed up on the shore. Dumping doesnt seem to work.
Is there a way to move them?

greycat already mentioned checking that your dwarves are set to gather refuse from outside. This affects dumping(?) and should also let your dwarves haul the skeletons to a refuse stockpile with the subcategory corpses enabled.

Since these are wild orca skeletons, you should be able to butcher them for a skull and bones.

thesuker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: April 10, 2014, 03:09:27 am »

I got all my labor needs covered, a military squad of 10 to take care of problems and about 20 idle dwarves.  What would should I do with them? Form 2 more squads? Leave them as haulers? Goblin-bait?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: April 10, 2014, 03:12:34 am »

Some people like keeping idle dwarves while others think socialization is a threat to the fort because of tantrum spirals.
Sometimes, there's nothing to do.

RtDs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: April 10, 2014, 06:34:50 am »

how many dwarfs do you have? 20 idle on 40 is weird, 20 on 150 is pretty normal. But yeah, you can set them to train as soldiers if you want. Throwing them away as barely trained goblin fodder is wasteful though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 422