Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878493 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6045 on: March 09, 2014, 04:53:25 pm »

There are two possible problems:
1. buildings react to signals in a specific way. If a pressure plate is activated, the building goes into the "on" position. In the case of bridges, this means the bridge retracts (retracting bridge) or goes up (raising bridge). If the bridge is already in the "on" position, it will not react to the signal.

When the pressure plate resets, the bridge will return to the "inactive" (extended/lowered) state. Once again, a bridge already extended or lowered will do nothing when receiving an "off" signal.

2. bridges react with a significant delay to signals. They take 100 steps to act, and will ignore any new signals which arrive in the meantime.

If you want to open a passage, you get a prompter response when using a building that "opens" when getting an "on" signal: floodgates will open 100 steps after receiving an on signal, doors will open immediately. If you want to open a passage for the minecart itself, that's easiest done by a door.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: March 10, 2014, 12:16:34 pm »

No, the wall is solid. I thought the dwarfs wouldn't be able to see through it, but apparently, on a very short distance, they can see over the wall. Or they can hear zombies bumping their heads against it, I have no other explanation.

If the zombies are elevated (on a hill outside the walls), civilians will see them over the walls.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: March 10, 2014, 01:55:37 pm »

I have a soldier who has numerous war grizzlies assigned to him. While it is good inside burrows, when he leaves the burrows grizzlies stand at the border of burrow & won't move! What is the reason?
I have multiple civ alerts, but default 'active/training' with burrow activated causes this.
If you want to open a passage, you get a prompter response when using a building that "opens" when getting an "on" signal: floodgates will open 100 steps after receiving an on signal, doors will open immediately. If you want to open a passage for the minecart itself, that's easiest done by a door.
done by other means: I've made a hatch that opens same 100 ticks after pressure plate is pressed & drops the minecart onto the rollers.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:26:08 pm by nekoexmachina »
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: March 11, 2014, 03:50:22 pm »

I'm trying to make a large cistern of water, but it always freezes when winter rolls around. I've tried a few things to melt it down, but nothing seems to work. What should I do?
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: March 11, 2014, 04:29:30 pm »

Redig the cistern so that the whole thing is in Subterranean tiles.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: March 11, 2014, 05:07:38 pm »

Seems like the only option, but doing so would move it a bit further from my hospital... will fix it later.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: March 11, 2014, 05:19:56 pm »

Another option would be to scrape a few tiles off the existing walls (assuming that it's dug out of rock and not constructed above ground). This would give you a small store of water for the winter, while leaving the main reservoir (and its filling mechanism) for summer use.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: March 11, 2014, 06:22:17 pm »

Some points there as well.... Dwarf Fortress is slowly turning me into an architect.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: March 12, 2014, 02:38:00 pm »

While I probably could find some answers much faster on the wiki, I just want to post this here just in case I'm missing something.

How does one keep soldiers on a patrol route from simply going back and forth between points after flashing with a question mark? I have set the route up to loop twice to be sure I didn't fuck anything up, and after waiting a few cycles... still going back and forth.

Pictures will be given if needed.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: March 14, 2014, 03:58:53 am »

Iceblaster: I'll let you know, I'm about to start goofing off with that in the next few days.

However, to change the open question in the meanwhile, my countess has an urgent issue.  Being our primary metalworker, she's made the majority of the metal bolts for the fortress.  Some of these are masterwork.

Apparently, they're getting lost in target practice and this is upsetting her.  I would think ammo would be exempt from the masterwork rule, but apparently not.

Any suggestions?

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: March 14, 2014, 04:34:54 am »

However, to change the open question in the meanwhile, my countess has an urgent issue.  Being our primary metalworker, she's made the majority of the metal bolts for the fortress.  Some of these are masterwork.

Apparently, they're getting lost in target practice and this is upsetting her.  I would think ammo would be exempt from the masterwork rule, but apparently not.

Any suggestions?

Make more. Masterwork-related emotional losses are only lessened by the existence of even more masterwork items. Bolts are made in stacks of 25 and each one rolls for masterwork quality so a Legendary metalworker such as your noble would churn up several masterwork bolts in her lifetime. This suggestion is in the wiki also, IIRC...
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: March 14, 2014, 04:41:12 am »

I suppose that works.  Thanks Doktoro.

This is why I almost never use anything but wood and bone bolts, I guess.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: March 14, 2014, 07:34:21 am »

I don't think bolts destroyed in practise create the bad thought, just like a consumed meal doesn't. Bolts stuck in animals or invaders that then flee the map do, I think, just as a meal destroyed by vermin does.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: March 14, 2014, 11:12:59 am »

Iceblaster: I'll let you know, I'm about to start goofing off with that in the next few days.

Yay. Been wanting to mess with that for a while.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: March 14, 2014, 12:27:48 pm »

Garath, I could see that... but my dwarves in FurnaceClans are buried inside and I'm only melting down = (Exquisites), so I can't see what else could have caused it.  No combat reports from my dwarves for having shot something that made a run for it.

With the OMG, there's just about no way a thief can live to get into the fortress.   With all the dwarves on the central staircase, certainly not undetected.

I can't see any other way I'd be getting the complaint.
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 422