Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879165 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5340 on: October 04, 2013, 10:43:08 pm »

It's not pressurised at all.

However, an embark tile with a magma pipe will bubble up magma across its whole 48x48 area.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: October 05, 2013, 04:44:36 pm »

I was wondering if it's possible to name tame non-pet animals in your fortress?

'cos I'm having trouble keeping track of which ones I want to pasture, cage & butcher (respectively).

I could swear there was a mention of naming animals in an episode of a DF Let's Play I watched on youtube (& I've tried doing it with Therapist), but my best guess is it was an episode of Arumba's Ideneral DFLP, which has a fair number of episodes, & I can't identify which one it might have been in, to see how he did it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: October 05, 2013, 06:36:46 pm »

It's a feature in DFHack iirc
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: October 05, 2013, 07:22:22 pm »

Oh... Ok, Thanks.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: October 06, 2013, 03:05:36 am »

Öhm in the embark screen humans are displayed at second position. However it's now year 4 and no human caravan has showed up.
The elfses already showed up despite being only on 4th position.
Will humans still show up and when not why are they displayed at the embark screen?

The humans might be at war, or they might be really low population?  Copy yuor save folder into a new DF instance and end the game, then look through legends recent history for clues?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: October 06, 2013, 07:42:06 pm »

Are forgotten beasts supposed to show up in hell? Because one did just now.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: October 06, 2013, 07:49:44 pm »

Yea, FBs show up down there occasionally.

To be fair, it is technically the fifth cavern layer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: October 06, 2013, 07:51:57 pm »

You mean fourth? Unless you're counting the magma sea as a 'cavern layer'.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: October 06, 2013, 08:12:32 pm »

Yep, magma sea counts as the fourth.

You can set which cavern layer a creature spawns in using:

[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:min:max]

You can put in numbers from 0 to 5, with 0 being the surface.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: October 06, 2013, 08:19:11 pm »

I don't think I can do that with FBs though.

JeannieNitro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: October 07, 2013, 11:34:10 am »

It's not pressurised at all.
So, while you're already talking about magma pressure. I dont seem to understand it. To me it still seems to exhibit pressure. (Luckily I was playing around with its behavior before trying my first volcano embark. This would have been a very short fortress otherwise.)

Here's a picture along with badly drawn notes:

1: Here I channeled from above to get the magma down here. (So there's an upwards ramp at this spot.)

2: Here I dug a channel down to direct the magma flow. (So there's downwards ramps)

3: This and all other unmarked tiles are floor on the current z-level, though it's filled with magma.

4: Two z-levels up I channeled down to get the magma on this z-level.

If I understood the behavior of non-pressurised liquids correctly, the magma shouldn't rise up from the channel I dug at (2) to direct the flow of the magma. Just the same one z-level above it also overflows the downward channel and floods everything. If I got the wiki right, this should be the behavior of water and not magma.
Did I do anything wrong or is my dream of my dining room enclosed by a circle of magma dead?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: October 07, 2013, 11:55:41 am »

No issues jump out at me immediately, as long as you don't overfill the chamber.

My experience comes largely from water systems though, so take this with a grain of salt, or better yet, something magma safe. Gabbro, perhaps. Or mica.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: October 07, 2013, 12:28:56 pm »

The magma will rise up to the place where you breached and made the entrance. From your story it is somewhere above the current picture. The 'no pressure' means that even if you dig into the side it won't try to flood everywhere up to the level of the volcano top. It will still try to fill everything up to the level of your inflow
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: October 07, 2013, 12:33:42 pm »

I was checking since I thought I heard or read something about the magma sea being pressurized, but maybe it was a misinterpretation.

JeannieNitro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: October 07, 2013, 12:37:34 pm »

The magma will rise up to the place where you breached and made the entrance. From your story it is somewhere above the current picture. The 'no pressure' means that even if you dig into the side it won't try to flood everywhere up to the level of the volcano top. It will still try to fill everything up to the level of your inflow
Thanks, this explains it.

This will probably make my plans (beautiful magma streams on every level of the fortress for my dwarfs to look at (also: heating system) like in the dining room example) a lot harder. Channeling from the volcano top seemed to be the only safe way to get magma into these streams. Digging straight into the side of the volcano just seems so unsafe. (Well, let's just hope the "volunteer" miner can run fast enough.)
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 422