Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882559 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #495 on: March 07, 2012, 11:30:22 pm »

How can you safely tap the side of a vertical magma tube without losing the dwarf diggin the hole? I embarked on my first Volcano and set up a tunnel under my workshop room that is meant to fill up with magma. Everything was ready so I sent a engraver to smooth and carve fortification into the obsidian tube at a corner, not straight on. I was expecting the magma to ooze out slowly, but It shot out like a cannon and my dwarf died nearly instantly.  I thought magma wasn't supposed to be under pressure unless it was pumped.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 08, 2012, 08:26:42 am »

Is cutting trees in Glaciers and Mountains the only way to create sand where there was none on the map?

ie if I embark on a non-mountain/glacier area, and there's no sand, is there any way to make any?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 08, 2012, 08:28:13 am »

Did milk storage change?  I have a food stockpile, set only to allow milk, next to the farmer's workshop where the milking is done.  In previous fortresses, the dwarves would bring a bucket and an animal to the workshop, fill the bucket with milk, release the animal (eventually re-pasturing it), carry the bucket of milk into the stockpile, then eventually, dump the bucket of milk into a barrel or pot.  After a while I'd have a stockpile full of barrels/pots with 10 units of milk apiece, and then I'd start making cheese.

But in my current fortress (Fortress Defense mod, 0.34.03 world gen, playing in 0.34.05), the buckets of milk are just sitting in the stockpile and not getting transferred into barrels/pots.  There's one empty wooden barrel in the stockpile, but nobody's transferring milk to it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 08, 2012, 10:21:17 am »

Is there an easy way of making dwarves get interrupted less often, even a raw hack like removing eyes would be handy, i'm trying to survive in an evil biome but i can't finish the defencive wall around my wagon because of a floating boar head menacing everybody :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 08, 2012, 10:54:02 am »

Is there an easy way of making dwarves get interrupted less often, even a raw hack like removing eyes would be handy, i'm trying to survive in an evil biome but i can't finish the defencive wall around my wagon because of a floating boar head menacing everybody :(
Perhaps an easier solution would be in order, could you not have a crossbow dorf simply handle it?
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 08, 2012, 11:10:48 am »

Hmm, or i could engineer a cavein 10 stories above the head.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Kellnaved

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 08, 2012, 01:07:05 pm »

Hi. Is there any way to increase the likelyhood of encountering an evil cloud on embark? I embarked abou 20 times on terrifying biomes and only got 1 with these FUN clouds.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 08, 2012, 05:23:45 pm »

Can markdwarves dual wield crossbows?

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 08, 2012, 05:38:03 pm »

I've reclaimed a fortress, and found it full of friendly goblins and trolls.

They are hostile to traders (and I had to kill an elite crossbowman that was trying to beat a diplomat to death), but otherwise aren't causing any trouble.

Will they turn hostile eventually, or can I ignore them (until I'm ready to seek revenge, that is)?

(I've already had one ambush party turn up, and that didn't make them remember which side they were on).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #504 on: March 08, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »

I've reclaimed a fortress, and found it full of friendly goblins and trolls.

They are hostile to traders (and I had to kill an elite crossbowman that was trying to beat a diplomat to death), but otherwise aren't causing any trouble.

Will they turn hostile eventually, or can I ignore them (until I'm ready to seek revenge, that is)?

(I've already had one ambush party turn up, and that didn't make them remember which side they were on).

They will turn hostile during an actual siege event. I had this happen recently too and noticed they also seem to ignore traps I set about internally to put them down. There were only a handful so I put them down with a squad of 10 when the siege happened.

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 08, 2012, 10:22:32 pm »

Is there a way to close myself up with a drawbridge and then open it for caravan wagons?  It seems like if it is closed when they enter the map, the wagons immediately refuse to try again.  Does no wagons just mean the traders that come in (after I open the bridge) simply have lower weight allowance?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #506 on: March 08, 2012, 10:52:49 pm »

If there is no path to your trade depot, the wagons will not appear.  Without the wagons, the traders can't carry as much.

One way to deal with this is with an airlock setup.  Have two drawbridges - one between the trade depot and the outside, and one between the trade depot and the rest of your fortress.  When you are expecting a caravan, leave the outer gate open and the inner one closed.  The wagons will appear since the depot is exposed.  Once they're at the depot safely, close the outer gate, then open the inner one.  Trade, then once your dwarves are done putting the goods away and the traders are ready to leave, close the inner gate and open the outer one.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 08, 2012, 11:03:02 pm »

If there is no path to your trade depot, the wagons will not appear.  Without the wagons, the traders can't carry as much.

One way to deal with this is with an airlock setup.  Have two drawbridges - one between the trade depot and the outside, and one between the trade depot and the rest of your fortress.  When you are expecting a caravan, leave the outer gate open and the inner one closed.  The wagons will appear since the depot is exposed.  Once they're at the depot safely, close the outer gate, then open the inner one.  Trade, then once your dwarves are done putting the goods away and the traders are ready to leave, close the inner gate and open the outer one.

That's a great idea!  Why didn't I think of that?  I have already been quarantining my migrants for vamp detection.  Should have occurred to me.

Another question.  I want to take advantage of fishing the river, but I want to have a safe spot for my fishers.  Is it possible to wall around a piece of river bank and put a tunnel that leads to it, or will enemies just skirt around the corner and murder my fisherdwarves?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 08, 2012, 11:16:21 pm »

That's a great idea!  Why didn't I think of that?  I have already been quarantining my migrants for vamp detection.  Should have occurred to me.

Another question.  I want to take advantage of fishing the river, but I want to have a safe spot for my fishers.  Is it possible to wall around a piece of river bank and put a tunnel that leads to it, or will enemies just skirt around the corner and murder my fisherdwarves?

If there's a way for them to skirt around and murder your dwarves, they will, but it is possible to wall of a bit of river such that enemies have no way to get into that walled off area.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 08, 2012, 11:21:20 pm »

If there's a way for them to skirt around and murder your dwarves, they will, but it is possible to wall of a bit of river such that enemies have no way to get into that walled off area.

Do river banks shift around at all?  I could easily build a wall around it but I need to know if I will need to monitor the bank over time.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 422