Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 63

Author Topic: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Game Over!  (Read 187796 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Fifth Rest Phase
« Reply #675 on: March 21, 2012, 06:18:01 pm »

...and speaking of that...
Shakerag: Your digression about how it's hard to figure out the bastard setting seems to be taking up space and producing the illusion of contributing, when in fact you're just saying what we already know, if you aren't outright trying to dismiss what we do know (rest-shorten-extend). But, let's build off that. If you cannot figure out the "bastardness" of the setting, then what would you advise the town to do then on this potential LYLO?

Shakerag?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 21, 2012, 06:47:44 pm »

Oh...
Quote from: Shakerag
I've been trying to make at least one substantial post per RL day during the rest phases.  I have a fairly busy RL schedule that prohibits me from posting as much as many of you.  But, if I recall correctly, I think the last thing I posted was about Dariush pulling a "blackmail the town" gambit. 
Sorry for bugging you again. Just remember to reply to my question.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 21, 2012, 06:54:56 pm »

Okay, Jim, that confirms my findings at least. I'm a Telepath, and Jim's goal was to find. And I think we should stop claiming at this point, because we DO have someone with a protect goal - I identified them. I'd prefer not to get them killed off if there's another day/night cycle tomorrow, since we'd lose our pilot. Assuming there's no other pilots or protectors of course.

Everyone I scanned was Protect or Survive. I was only questioning my findings on Jim because "find" was a compatible goal with Xenobiologists. Hence why the return of "human" on him made that unlikely, but this IS a bastard.

Which leaves Shakerag and IronyOwl as our main suspects, unless the scum are Protect/Survive in which case what the fuck, my ability is useless anyways. :/

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 21, 2012, 07:07:07 pm »

... well that refusal to reveal my results was poorly thought out. -___-

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 21, 2012, 07:20:07 pm »

Was that seriously the only reason you had for forcing me to roleclaim?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 21, 2012, 08:02:48 pm »

Also, I'm a survivor cop. If I was coming out, I was dragging you with me to lower my own chance of getting killed, and I thought it was important to come out today. I'd have outed you with my own claim in the process of confirming my own role, so I figured I'd at least make sure you were a townish finder and not a xenobio finder role. After all, Xenos, our stated enemies, had the goal of find. I doubted they were survivors or protectors, and I got no other hits, so...

Admittedly that reason was kind of selfish, but since we've now got three cops out, regardless of who we lynch today we can at least coordinate our night actions.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 21, 2012, 08:14:40 pm »

Jim:  Do you think now's a bad time for a massclaim? 

Toaster:  Human Mil Sci (Vanilla)
Shakerag:  No claim
Servant Corps:  Kook FBI Agent
GlyphGryph: Telepath
Jim Groovester: Reporter
Urist Imiknorris: Alien Survivor (Anti-tech field)
IronyOwl: No claim

With 5/7 claims, given that Servant claims a protect goal on one of the remaining two, is it wise for us to allow them to clam up or force them to claim?  It may be a good idea to leave a potential protector in the dark, given that it seems likely Book was protecting UI.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 21, 2012, 08:21:46 pm »

I say we force them both to claim. Glyph confirms one and the other gets left behind.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 21, 2012, 08:32:15 pm »

Urist I: Since you're so interested to see them go, what's your case on them?  Why not any of the others?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 21, 2012, 11:16:18 pm »

Yeah... all things considered, since there's only two of them, best they just claim at this point, since I screwed up my logistics.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 21, 2012, 11:37:49 pm »

Jim:  Do you think now's a bad time for a massclaim? 

In a bastard game, it's always a good time for a massclaim!

If at any point the number of infiltrators outnumbers the number of escapees, I'm assuming the infiltrators win by simply being able to overpower us or slow us down enough that the guards catch up with us. With 7p, I think we're near enough that point that we should lay all our cards on the table. (Assuming three infiltrators, which is a decent guess in a 14p game.)
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 22, 2012, 12:02:33 am »

Jim:  Why say this, then?

Was that seriously the only reason you had for forcing me to roleclaim?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 22, 2012, 12:36:08 am »

That was before I thought about the merits of a mass claim.

Pressuring a role claim out of somebody because their goal differed from all the other targets is kind of ridiculous.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 22, 2012, 10:41:31 am »

Servent Corps:
Shakerag: Your digression about how it's hard to figure out the bastard setting seems to be taking up space and producing the illusion of contributing, when in fact you're just saying what we already know, if you aren't outright trying to dismiss what we do know (rest-shorten-extend). But, let's build off that. If you cannot figure out the "bastardness" of the setting, then what would you advise the town to do then on this potential LYLO?

I'm still not 100% convinced that shortening/extending has an actual, in-game effect.  From the way it was worded by Meph, in my opinion, seems like it is zero-sum. 

Rest shorter = (possibly?) run slower, but have more of a head start on our pursuers
Rest longer = pursuers have more time to catch up, but we run faster

To me, it seems like those things would balance out.  Each has a "benefit" and a "negative" which seem like they would cancel out.  I think consistently shortening *may* have a negative result, but for obvious reasons I think we shouldn't try that out.  I grant you that I could be wrong, and I'm open to changing my mind, but I do question if this isn't some red herring.

In regards to "potential LYLO":  I think what we've already done (massclaim) is likely the best bet.  Unfortunately, it's not as effective as it could be, since we don't have roleflips of eliminated players to compare notes to. 

Oh, and, trying to figure out the setting in a bastard game *is* contributing.  Reference Bastard Paranormal 1 if you don't think that it's important.  That game right there is why I'm nervous that I don't think we've nailed the bastard angle yet.

Thank you for being considerate of my schedule.  I was going to post last night, but Narcolepsy Happens(tm).

GlyphGryph:  If the kill last night wasn't random chance, then what do you suspect was done to Dariush to NK him?  Because, flavor-wise, bumping into a security guard coming out of a side corridor doesn't look like it would fit with any night action I can think of.  I'm not saying it couldn't have been someone's doing, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me that way.

Toaster: Same comment and question as to GlyphGryph above.

Also: (just making notes here as I go along) If shortening really was supposed to have done "something", then why would the flavor from last run seem to indicate that the security team was right behind us?  Shouldn't we have had more of a lead on them?

So, roleclaim.  I am an alien and a captured Agent Operative.  My flavor indicated that as I was escaping, I grabbed whatever loose items I could and ended up with a personal shield and a one-use scanner.  Nothing has triggered the shield so far.  While I was an Agent in the last Paranormal and had the luxury of invetigating each night, with just a one-use scanner I wanted to save it for later when there would be fewer people and I would have a better idea of who to use it on.  And having the shield made me feel safer about holding out to use the scanner as well. 

So I scanned IronyOwl last run phase.  I know his race and role.  So once he posts his claim, I can confirm if he's telling the truth or not.  Why did I pick him?  Because he was the person I had the worst read on and was being unusually lurky in my mind.  Also, his voting has felt awfully bandwagon-y to me, so that only further made me want to scan him.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 22, 2012, 10:57:02 am »

Wonderful target choice. But lets confirm both of you at once - IronyOwl, do NOT full claim. Claim your race OR your role, Shakerag can confirm. He can then reveal the other half, and you can confirm.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 63