Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So... is there a way to keep the dead ... well dead?  (Read 5697 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: So... is there a way to keep the dead ... well dead?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 01:32:28 pm »

I'm wondering if this is a bug now, actually.  Didn't Toady state once that only things with graspers were supposed to be animatable?

It's quite amusing that every body part comes back as a zombie infinitely, but it's kind of difficult to deal with.  Having just grasper-equipped bodies coming back would help a bit there at least, but I suppose you'd still end up with hands that never died for good.

Maybe we'll see something of this in the first bug fix update.  Maybe a limit on the number of times a body can come back.

By the way, does burying a dwarf prevent them from reanimating?  If not, that's hilarious.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 01:37:46 pm »

I'm wondering if this is a bug now, actually.  Didn't Toady state once that only things with graspers were supposed to be animatable?

It's quite amusing that every body part comes back as a zombie infinitely, but it's kind of difficult to deal with.  Having just grasper-equipped bodies coming back would help a bit there at least, but I suppose you'd still end up with hands that never died for good.

Maybe we'll see something of this in the first bug fix update.  Maybe a limit on the number of times a body can come back.

By the way, does burying a dwarf prevent them from reanimating?  If not, that's hilarious.
I think he also said that he left reanimated skins in because it sounded like something we would do.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 01:47:37 pm »

This isn't Evil Dead, Dawn of the Dead or Resident Evil... it's frikken Hellraiser!

Dump'em in a 1x1 pit before they reanimate.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 01:48:40 pm »

In relation to what I was jabbering about fire earlier, did some arena testing - corpses of thoroughly burning things seem to vaporize very quickly if you slay the thing, like elephant corpses vaporizing in a few ticks post mortem, even if the burning elephant is killed with a sword. On the other hand this one eagle corpse seems to be burning forever, probably to do with the fat thing.

Still, if you can find a way to weaponize fire (good luck) or just opt to light everything moving on the map on fire with the flame-topped fence, the corpses shouldn't be that big a problem even if your military dwarves kill the things after with preferably ranged weapons. May want to have emergency showers ready.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 01:54:22 pm »

I think he also said that he left reanimated skins in because it sounded like something we would do.

True, but I somehow thought that the grasper restriction would apply to the skin as well.  Thinking back on it... not sure how that would work.  Just hand skins flapping around?

I assumed that restriction applied to skeletons anyway, which makes a bit more sense at least.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 01:55:46 pm »

I think I'll just opt for making sure the refuse pit can be flooded with magma
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 01:58:42 pm »

In relation to what I was jabbering about fire earlier, did some arena testing - corpses of thoroughly burning things seem to vaporize very quickly if you slay the thing, like elephant corpses vaporizing in a few ticks post mortem, even if the burning elephant is killed with a sword. On the other hand this one eagle corpse seems to be burning forever, probably to do with the fat thing.

Still, if you can find a way to weaponize fire (good luck) or just opt to light everything moving on the map on fire with the flame-topped fence, the corpses shouldn't be that big a problem even if your military dwarves kill the things after with preferably ranged weapons. May want to have emergency showers ready.
I did some arena testing and apparently zombies don't take any wear from fire damage. Fire will destroy their brains and spinal tissue preventing them from standing but they'll burn forever just like I anticipated.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 02:02:36 pm »

I did some arena testing and apparently zombies don't take any wear from fire damage. Fire will destroy their brains and spinal tissue preventing them from standing but they'll burn forever just like I anticipated.

So it is the fat. That one eagle corpse is still burning, with arena mode having been running all this time. Meanwhile live elephants, dwarves, tortoises etc. were annihilated by being first caught on fire and then being stabbed in the head.

How to create zombies for arena mode testing, by the way?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 02:03:51 pm »

True, but I somehow thought that the grasper restriction would apply to the skin as well.  Thinking back on it... not sure how that would work.  Just hand skins flapping around?

I assumed that restriction applied to skeletons anyway, which makes a bit more sense at least.
To quote more or less what Toady said:

"I put a necromancer and a dead dude on Arena. He reanimated the skeleton AND the skin. I left it in because reanimating the skin makes as much sense as reanimating a skeleton" Something on the lines of that.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 02:09:21 pm »

So it is the fat. That one eagle corpse is still burning, with arena mode having been running all this time. Meanwhile live elephants, dwarves, tortoises etc. were annihilated by being first caught on fire and then being stabbed in the head.

How to create zombies for arena mode testing, by the way?
Actually I don't think the fat is it, the fire mechanics are the reason zombies don't burn to death but even a fatless corpse should burn. The animated corpses are living things so they don't take wear, they'll just keep burning and zombieying until their corpse is destroyed. It's also possible for a burning corpse to be reanimated which instantly puts it out.

Deons Witcher mod adds the Witch and Witcher caste of humans that have the natural ability to raise the dead, it's pretty convenient for testing purposes.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 02:14:03 pm »

I haven't actually embarked on to an evil biome yet, but here's my solution.

Build a small chamber.

Add in a 5-10 z level drop. Make the pit your refuse pile. Seal the chamber as well, obviously.

As well, add a bridge or something, either as a atomsmasher, or a way to release the hoard at a siege.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 02:16:43 pm »

Actually I don't think the fat is it, the fire mechanics are the reason zombies don't burn to death but even a fatless corpse should burn. The animated corpses are living things so they don't take wear, they'll just keep burning and zombieying until their corpse is destroyed. It's also possible for a burning corpse to be reanimated which instantly puts it out.

Deons Witcher mod adds the Witch and Witcher caste of humans that have the natural ability to raise the dead, it's pretty convenient for testing purposes.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll return to testing tomorrow after a way delayed sleep and then work day (damn you new release!!), but just to clarify - does it appear that the same strategy of 1. light on fire 2. kill with non-fire, that works well on the living, does not lead to zombie corpses being destroyed?

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 02:17:57 pm »

I haven't actually embarked on to an evil biome yet, but here's my solution.

Build a small chamber.

Add in a 5-10 z level drop. Make the pit your refuse pile. Seal the chamber as well, obviously.

As well, add a bridge or something, either as a atomsmasher, or a way to release the hoard at a siege.
Or, instead of making a refuse pile, zone a 1x1 garbage chute and dump cartilage and useless bones in it (spin hair and cook the rest)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 02:20:06 pm »

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll return to testing tomorrow after a way delayed sleep and then work day (damn you new release!!), but just to clarify - does it appear that the same strategy of 1. light on fire 2. kill with non-fire, that works well on the living, does not lead to zombie corpses being destroyed?
It depends on how rapidly your zombies rise, it's possible they'll get back up before they burn away and put themselves out.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 02:37:02 pm »

The time it takes for dead bodies to zombify is random here. (1-2 minutes.)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: 1 [2] 3