Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Girly Zombie Science  (Read 22410 times)

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Girly Zombie Science
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2012, 12:30:16 am »

if zombies dont regen on normal ground...

could  this lead to religions being useful by providing/building/maintaining hallowed ground?

Zombies will not raise on normal ground, nor will their severed parts. The corpse could be right next to terrifying ground, but as long as the tile the body (or part) exists on is a regular tile, it will not resurrect. Similarly, toxic rain will never fall on normal tiles, but will fall right next to them. Because the new rains don't spread at all, there is no risk of them spreading to normal tiles, either.

I know this because I realized after about nine tries that embarking on straight, 100% terrifying environment was suicide with these recent updates. Instead of completely giving up, I switched to a 50% terrifying environment, with the other 50% being untamed. Zombies would run to my side of the land, be killed, and not be able to come back. I think that is a good compromise, considering how utterly brutal evil biomes are in the new DF. My goal is to eventually move to the terrifying side of the map.

What I would like to know are the following things:

-Would zombies reanimate if I somehow transported them back to terrifying ground? This is assuming that they have died on non-terrifying ground and remained there for awhile. How about if they decomposed into skeletons? Is there a limit to how much you can kill a body part?

-More on the functional capabilities of werebeasts/ vampires in general.

-More on mists.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2012, 12:36:51 am »

GCS spiders were odd enough, now zombie farms. I sure love DF.
  Zombies: a potential new labor force[ NO_EAT][TRAINABLE] tag
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2012, 12:55:58 am »

Posting to watch, also i second the notion of testing various things related to zombies, paticularly anything about reanimation.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2012, 06:18:37 am »

Zombies will not raise on normal ground, nor will their severed parts. The corpse could be right next to terrifying ground, but as long as the tile the body (or part) exists on is a regular tile, it will not resurrect. Similarly, toxic rain will never fall on normal tiles, but will fall right next to them. Because the new rains don't spread at all, there is no risk of them spreading to normal tiles, either.

I know this because I realized after about nine tries that embarking on straight, 100% terrifying environment was suicide with these recent updates. Instead of completely giving up, I switched to a 50% terrifying environment, with the other 50% being untamed. Zombies would run to my side of the land, be killed, and not be able to come back. I think that is a good compromise, considering how utterly brutal evil biomes are in the new DF. My goal is to eventually move to the terrifying side of the map.

-Would zombies reanimate if I somehow transported them back to terrifying ground? This is assuming that they have died on non-terrifying ground and remained there for awhile. How about if they decomposed into skeletons? Is there a limit to how much you can kill a body part?

-More on the functional capabilities of werebeasts/ vampires in general.

-More on mists.

1. It is possible to reanimate the dead by taking them to a raising biome in a split embark and skeletal status doesn't matter I've done it often enough to be sure. It's possible to injure a zombie so badly that it immediately bleeds to death upon rising I don't know how much research has been done.

2. Vampires are strong and can work faster than regular Dwarves provided you can keep them good and drunk. I don't know that much about werebeasts, they never get anybody in my fort.

3. Mists roll through certain evil biomes and inflicts certain effect on whoever gets caught in them, they are not necessarily deadly but they don't have the same limiters that rain has.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2012, 06:49:31 am »

Probably been said, but try to do controlled dwarven were-cloning. capture a necromancer and a few zombiefied were-beasts, lop arms off, reanimate, see arms become full were-beasts. then try to use this force in a controlled manner as a fortress defense.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2012, 11:24:39 am »

Just going to bump this.  DFHack and Therapist are both working with .34.02 so the science is fully operational.

Warming up my world generator as I go eat a little.  First person to post a good suggestion gets science done in my newest fort!

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2012, 11:49:05 am »

Yes, they do. You can bring them back to normal ground, and they don't resurrect. If you then dump them or put them in a corpse pile on terrifying ground, they'll pop back up, though not necessarily instantly. I'm trying to set up a fort for actually determining the timing of these events.

There seems to be no limit on killing a body part to me so far. I had a louse man scale (or was it a leg?) that kept coming alive and getting shot down, and while it would sometimes rest for a while, it kept coming back. Needs more research.

Don't know about what happens with a skeleton, but I have one in a stockpile and should be able to test this. I would assume it will work.

Another interesting question is what happens if something is zombified, butchered on normal ground after being killed, and then its parts are transported back to terrifying ground. Presumably they come back. But once made into goods, they do not seem to resurrect, though I can't say this for certain. I would assume game mechanics prevent this. (That is, I've never run into bone bolt zombies.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:35:39 pm by nightwhips »
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2012, 12:01:48 pm »

Just going to bump this.  DFHack and Therapist are both working with .34.02 so the science is fully operational.

Warming up my world generator as I go eat a little.  First person to post a good suggestion gets science done in my newest fort!
Zombie mitosis! See if it's possible to replicate and exploit werebeast zombie limbs forming new zombies.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2012, 12:02:55 pm »

I think I have a better idea (well, easier idea).  But first, what can I do with an endless supply of zombie dwarf corpses?  Shall I attempt to repel an invasion using only zombie defenders?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2012, 12:08:28 pm »

I think I have a better idea (well, easier idea).  But first, what can I do with an endless supply of zombie dwarf corpses?  Shall I attempt to repel an invasion using only zombie defenders?
Locking up zombies and opening Pandoras box all over an invasion force is easy, the hard part is devising a way of getting the bastards back into their cage. You should figure out a reliable way to get a zombie army under control.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2012, 12:19:39 pm »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2012, 12:26:14 pm »

Pff.
Girls don't play Dwarf forteress.

As for science, attempt to determine exactly how many zombie minions you can get from a single Dwarf, because the only thing better than an army of dwarves is an army of dwarf body parts.
*Hugs*

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2012, 12:30:25 pm »

Zombie mitosis! See if it's possible to replicate and exploit werebeast zombie limbs forming new zombies.
I second this.
but i rather call it dwarven cloning.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2012, 12:32:41 pm »

Pff.

As for science, attempt to determine exactly how many zombie minions you can get from a single Dwarf, because the only thing better than an army of dwarves is an army of dwarf body parts.

well, seeing as how a werebeast dwarf will regenerate upon retransfer, provided a reliable dismemberment method is found without killing the supplier, the number is potentially infinite.

now the challenge is finding a reliable method of generating the infinite zombie arms. for best results, perform the dismemberment in non evil biomes and dump them down a hole into the evil biome for reanimation
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2012, 12:34:19 pm »

Pff.

well, seeing as how a werebeast dwarf will regenerate upon retransfer, provided a reliable dismemberment method is found without killing the supplier, the number is potentially infinite.

now the challenge is finding a reliable method of generating the infinite zombie arms. for best results, perform the dismemberment in non evil biomes and dump them down a hole into the evil biome for reanimation
I was thinking more in term of products per single dwarf, making the most of a limited supply seems more fun.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6