Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Your Dwarf Fortress anecdote - Illustrated!  (Read 104411 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Your Dwarf Fortress anecdote - Illustrated!
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2012, 11:26:58 am »

This moment has always seemed particularly cool when playing out in my head, so it stands to reason that it'd also look particularly cool as an illustration:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2012, 08:08:49 pm »

A little anecdote from my last, chaotic, doomed fortress.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:10:37 pm by Taffer »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2012, 05:26:56 am »

One little question before I post mine down, is it acceptable to tell the DF story in full narrative form? Is there a text limit?

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2012, 06:14:56 am »

Well, you can type up as much as you like, but each story only potentially gets a page of illustration in the book. Very long stories are probably not going to be easy to compress into a single page of illustrations.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2012, 09:40:45 am »

My teeth and my enemies' limbs are my only weapons.

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2012, 02:51:25 pm »

!!Fun!! with Cave Ins.

So, I was channeling out the roof of a part my farms that I wanted to start growing surface plants... and an idea hits me, rather than dig this thing out tile by tile... why not dig out the borders and let the rest of it just cave in! BRILLIANT!

And, I do so, and everything seems to have gone according to plan... but, where's Legendary Miner Urist..... and uh... why is there a hole... in my hole... and then I notice at the bottom of my screen: 'Urist McMedic cancels retrieve patie-*more*' and rather than bring up announcements, I zoom down to the end of the shaft that a chain of caveins made, straight down 6 Zlevels... right into my Hospital, and the corpse of Urist McLegendaryMiner.

All I could picture was, Urist McMedic, sitting at his desk, when he hears a rumbling crash roll through the Fortress, so he sighs, because he just KNOWS that SOMEONE is going to be hurt... stands up, puts on his gloves... and then about 10 feet behind him, the roof caves down with the mutilated body of the unfortunate Miner, he turns, looks, sits down, and strikes off Urist McMiner from his list of future check-ups with a whisperred "Nevermind..."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2012, 12:27:34 am »

There any preliminary sketches we can look at  :)?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2012, 12:47:08 am »

Got an anecdote about a very funny situation some time ago in one of my fort, i called it  :
The legend of the Leather Cap

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2012, 02:07:52 am »

Ha, this Minotaur fell in my Water Support and got killed :D .... Wait? Why is my Booze stockpile flooded????
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

Undercroft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2012, 08:47:45 am »

Fun with picking embark sites. My latest embark was joyous wilds praerie alongide a haunted ocean. I figure what can go wrong. I shouldn't be in any danger. All the nasty stuff will be in the ocean and not on the land with my dwarves.

Shortly after digging out my tempory storage my beachside wagon was attacked by an undead pod of killer whales that had rushed out of the ocean to happily murder my dwarves. I also learnt dogs aren't that good for basic defence anymore.

Random Spark

• Bay Watcher
  • Tales of Karma and Strategy
    • View Profile
    • My Art (Deviant Art profile)
NEVER NAME A PARTY MEMBER "YOUR BEST FRIEND."
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2012, 01:51:49 pm »

This is a rather long LOG i coppied from the game's text file after i quit. I have added some context and stripped all the formatting. It was too long and too old to screen shot all at once.
This is from DF. 35 (Before the current updates)

I made my account just now, yes. I've been lurking here for ever.
I thought i'd make my first appearance.

Some one should point this thread to the Legendary Duck story if they have not yet. (I'll finish reading the thread when i am done posting this)

I am an artist. I draw, write, and compose.
I am also a smartalek. I am also trying to design a game.

Graeldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2012, 04:03:53 am »

Here's my story from a while back, miraculously this did not create a major tantrum spiral as the majority of pepole in the room were recent immigrants waiting for jobs and hadn't had time to form bonds, and lots of high value decorations everywhere to boost happiness. On re reading it, it may be a bit long for one page but whatever. Most of it is my fault as well but wtv

I have terrible spelling and grammar btw

Oh, the sea of ooze? It's a tourist attraction.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2012, 07:17:48 am »

Here's a personal favourite of mine from way back in 40d. Only very minor artistic license is taken:

Thobatol was a prosperous community of about seventy dwarven farmers, miners and artisans. It had originally been settled as an iron-mining settlement, but after one of their number had a mysterious -some say divinely inspired- bout of inspiration they ended up becoming the region's foremost exporter of wholesale clothing. This led to them being on unusually good terms with the elves; in fact, their caravan with its dozens of bolts of cloth was anticipated eagerly, as the two raw materials Thobatol could never quite achieve self-sufficiency in were cloth and timber.

One year, however, the caravan had attracted some unwanted attention from goblin raiders. As the slow column of mules and their drovers made its way towards the trade depot, half a dozen goblins crept slowly towards it. But at the last moment, somehow they tipped their hand. Perhaps one of them startled a bird or dislodged some pebbles, perhaps Mighty Armok Himself looked down and sent a warning; we shall never know.

Whatever the cause of it, the ambush had gone off at half-cock and the goblins were trailing behind the caravan. Their leader raised his iron crossbow and shot one of the guards dead. The other found himself surrounded by half a dozen goblins with cruel iron swords, himself being armed only with a heavy wooden mace. Nevertheless, he steeled himself and let loose the traditional elven war-cry: "Oh aye? Come an' 'ave a go if ya think yer 'ard enough!"1

Thobatol was not a well-armed settlement, and boasted only a half-dozen lightly armed and armoured fortress guard. Worse yet, no sooner had the hue and cry gone up from the merchants than another party of goblin raiders fell upon a handful of dwarves taking the air in a sculpture garden near the rear entrance. Fortunately a couple of fortress guard were among their number, and they were able to hold their own while the others went running to assist the beleaguered caravan guard.

However, it turns out that these particular goblins were not 'ard enough. The plucky young elven warrior was clouting them all over the valley, launching one of them into the rock face with enough force to splatter, and dodging the occasional shot from the lone crossbowman with apparent ease. He raised his mace to the frantic militia-dwarves in a cheery salute... just as the squad leader took careful aim and fired his last crossbow bolt with deadly accuracy through the elf's back.

His triumph was short-lived; the enraged militia didn't even bother to nock a bolt, but came charging down the valley and impaled him from three sides with their bayonets2.

Thobatol raised a new squad of militia the next month, armed with swords and shields looted from the goblins slain by their elven comrade. A magnificent statue carved of blood-red bauxite stands on the spot where he fell in defence of the fortress.

Thobatol remembers.

1 For reasons much too complicated to go into here, I like to imagine DF elves having extremely broad Scouse accents.
2 My first ever modding project.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:20:49 am by Jake »
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2012, 09:05:51 am »

Mine plays out more like "The Thing" than anything else:

All was well in the early life of Battletemple, the original 7 had settled in and a wave of 10 immigrants had arrived. However, not long after, a body was discovered in the mines with no witnesses. As winter settled in, another dwarf went missing. Again, no witnesses. Things were getting tense, people were starting fist fights over the recent murders, and the Expedition Leader decided to take his frustration out on the lone swordsdwarf of the fortress. Needless to say it ended in bloodshed, which in turn lead to further fisticuffs. By the time spring had rolled around, 3 dwarves remained. Shivering in their bloody rags, food was short and booze had run out a while ago. As I prepared to command these dwarves to their new jobs in farming and brewing, I noticed one had gone missing and been reported as murdered... I looked into the meeting room to find the two dwarves either side of the well, staring at each other with hateful mistrust. Both had reported the other as the murderer...

Needless to say, the next wave of immigrants were very disturbed by these two filthy, malnourished dwarves, staring at each other with intense hatred amongst the fallen corpses and broken remains of a small tantrum spiral and vampiric murders.
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEVER NAME A PARTY MEMBER "YOUR BEST FRIEND."
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2012, 02:17:54 pm »

This is a rather long LOG i coppied from the game's text file after i quit. I have added some context and stripped all the formatting. It was too long and too old to screen shot all at once.
This is from DF. 35 (Before the current updates)

I made my account just now, yes. I've been lurking here for ever.
I thought i'd make my first appearance.

Some one should point this thread to the Legendary Duck story if they have not yet. (I'll finish reading the thread when i am done posting this)

That's a cool story.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15