Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Your Dwarf Fortress anecdote - Illustrated!  (Read 104412 times)

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Dwarf Fortress anecdote - Illustrated!
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2012, 08:26:57 pm »

Here's my little story.  It's not particularly epic in scale but it was my first ever experience with goblin babysnatchers and I remember it vividly.

As the wagons rolled into the small outpost's depot, the caravan guards, glad to finally be in out of the chilling late autumn rain, failed to spot the thin shadowy figures as they slipped into the fortress behind them.
     The ragtag outpost militia, mostly inexperienced recruits but well equipped in steel armor and weapons, were running their usual drills in the barracks when a commotion broke out near the trade good stockpiles.  When the cry of "Goblins!" was heard, the commander rallied his men and raced off towards the depot.  There they found three bag toting goblins trying to make their marks on children that were helping to haul goods to the depot for trade.  The goblins were no match for the well equipped dwarves and were hacked apart like old firewood.  Amazingly one of the goblin daggers made a lucky strike on a recruit's lower arm and managed to fracture the bone through the armored bracer.
     A fourth goblin, a purple haired female, had managed to slip away unnoticed to a different level before her companions were slaughtered.  As she tried to find a way out, the crying toddler in her bag drew the attention of two growling dogs.  Through either incredible skill or random lucky swings she managed to cripple the legs of both dogs without injury to herself.  Rather than taking the time to finish off the dogs, she bolted for the fortress entrance.  All she had to do was make it through the outer wall's gate and she'd escape.  In horror she skidded her run to a halt in front of the now closed gate.  She was trapped.  As she spun her head around wildly in the rain looking for any options, the militia emerged from the entrance and was now running her down.
     The commander, running ahead of his less fit comrades, spotted the last goblin by the closed outer wall gate.  The cries of the child from the goblin's bag spurned his rage as he tore through the cold rain towards his target.  The goblin turned to face him and gave a defiant howl just before they collided.  He charged against her with his shield raised and knocked the goblin straight onto her back.  As though his moves were guided by Armok himself, he simultaneously lowered his shield and swung his weapon at the now prone and stunned goblin.  His battle axe, still wet with goblin blood from the previous melee, struck her in the midsection and cleaved her body right in half.

agapetos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vegantletika
Three vampires going back streight (not so much) to their burrows
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2012, 03:46:48 am »

So,
after a minotaur appeared outside my fort, I've activated few of my squads (overkill :) ) including the secluded Vampire squad "Turquoise kisses" (notice the name (random)  :)- DF definately has a sense of humor turned on to the max) that I let out on this special occasion. Well, none of my dorfs was killed, and the Minotaur was dead even before the first dorf from the Vamp squad came.
So, I tell my "Turquoise kisses" squad to go back to their seqluded room where their train. I've went on with other bussiness around the fort being sure that they will respectfully obey my order, and then I get a reported cryme about someone being drained of blood... let me check the Vamp room - guess what - no dwarfs there... where are they?!? mingling with other dwarfs...
And of course, one of them is happy because she enjoyed in slaughter  8)... But wait ... what do I see? Other two have unhappy thoughts?!? It seams that they "Whitnessed a death receantly" :'(... awwww... poor incredibly-tough-with-pointy-teeth Vampires - they've whitnessed a death. Notice the amount of hipocricy. BUT WAIT - where are they going?!?!? They are going to report the crime .... and, they did.
Screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After a nice drink, and after they picked up and filled their new waterskins with some booze, they are back to their burrows grumbling around. Well... all but the one who had a grin on his face and a full stomach.

Grey570

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Why is there always so much blood?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2012, 09:42:19 pm »

I took a break from DF and came back to zombies and necromancers and such so I hunted out a necromancer tower and settled next to it.

Our initial settlement was nearly destroyed before it began as Necromancers came leading the undead before we could even finish the walls forcing us to hide and retreat. Our upper levels lost to the undead and cutting us off for two years as a complex set of alternative entrances were carved out and lined with traps to lure the dead to their demise. We finally ended the siege at great cost. The undead proved very resilient to our crude traps and in the end the entire fortress was drafted at the last moment. Two dwarves showed great heroism beyond all others. Husband and Wife both elite marksmen who had kept the fort alive with their hunting in the first years after irrigation problems lead to a lack of food. Both fired every bolt they had before charging through the undead throwing them aside and going straight for the last necromancer killing him before becoming surrounded they managed to kill 30 undead between them before falling tragically.

Years later life goes well the above ground fortress and fortifications dug into the mountain side are finally finished we are truly an impenetrable bastion now Balista cover the walls and two full squads of seasoned well trained marksmen as well as a large milita who are ready to take up the crossbow if needed and man the walls to rain hell on the undead who dare come here, to The Armored-Angel. A proud Bastion from to battle the undead...

After the third siege of undead we have had to begin creating large pits to dump the endless corpses, plans are in works to pump magma from the center of the earth to create a great river of molten rock. This will further strengthen the bastion as well as give us a much better way to dispose of the endless dead.

Tragedy and sorrow has come hope is lost. Our graveyard was dug deep deep under ground to protect it from the tainted uses of the necromancers. Alas we didn't see our downfall till it was too late. A long dead necromancer rose from the dead, his ghost unnoticed for months. Suddenly the heroic dead warriors of our great bastion rose once more to gut their home from the inside. The lower levels were defenseless as all our defenses systems were designed for an attack from outside not from within! Many dwarves died in their sleep to the undead or were slain as they came to eat and drink celebrating our latest triumphs. The lower levels provided no clear line of sign for the crossbows and the swordsmen were under trained and out numbered our Batista made useless, our traps pointless all hope was lost. From a population of hundreds only 10 dwarves made it out of the Bastion. (Who actually survived the abandon and joined later forts as badasses who no longer felt emotion had 10+ kills and legendary craftsmen skills - every dwarf of the Bastion was trained with the crossbow and carried one at all times) The rest fell to the necromancer's horde and joined it in death. The Armorered-Angel had fallen. The idea of besieging it to take it back seemed impossible. The upper levels are an endless track of Balista lined walls killing hallways and trap lined corridors.

In the end we gave the Necromancers a more powerful home then they could have ever made themselves. In the end there were about 100 dead dwarves the graveyard was massive and the dead and missing page was so large I couldn't find specific entries anymore such as a necromancer ghost who I missed the message for. It actually said a cheesemaker has risen or something so I opened the grave yard to place more coffins assuming I didn't have enough. This is what let the horde out. The fortress level wise went *above ground fortress dug into the mountain wall *Underground fortress with fortifications and such to shoot the undead if they traveled deeper into the fort if they made it past the walls *Trap infested maze of tunnels full of balista and fortifications. *Armed trade depo a third fortress much smaller then the other two around a underground depo *Military district the barracks and hospitals which had fortification so each squads room could be sealed and act as mini keeps to hold the undead off. *Hopital area with a small pit to drop anyone who dies if necromancers to close *Workshop districts designed to make movement minimized 0 defensibility *Dinning and living districts designed to make movement minimized 0 defensibility. Then about 20 z levels down the Graveyard with a spiral staircase directly to the Dinning and living districts.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2012, 09:46:58 pm »

How is this coming along, anyway?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2012, 02:50:39 am »

Hey there - we have a short, short list and Tim is starting the arting soon. We are still interested in more stories tho!

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2012, 09:04:27 am »

Here's a short one.

At the beginning of a fortress in a cold biome, I dug out a little alcove, but pierced an aquifer. With the water flowing, I evacuated the dwarves. Since my items were in the fortress, I decided that to survive I needed those items. So, I sent a dwarf to carve fortifications in the wall right next to the water, forgetting that it was a cold biome, in very early spring. (still snow everywhere.) Long story short: Ice dwarf achieved, no more stoneworker.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2012, 07:31:58 am »

I have a pretty neat little story about a Vampires, probably someone has had something like this before already, but I thought it was pretty awesome and I'd like to share. Anyway, here goes:

"Sit, little Urist and let me tell you a bit about the history of our fortress, Konosolin, the Brasstongs. You see, it wasn't always the bustling dwarven metropolis you have known for all seven years of our life. When I came here many years ago, it was still an outpost with only some twenty odd dwarves scratching their livelihood out of these barren rocks. A few years before, it was only seven brave pioneers who laid the foundation of this great city. At the time I arrived here, we still had one of those original seven as our leader. A brave and wise dwarf I ever I've seen one, not like the wimps you young folk elect every year these days. But I digress. See, a few years earlier, dwarves had begun to vanish mysteriously. Ever so often we would find someone's body... drained completely of blood. First it was our Mason, Cilob Regdeg, one of the original seven. A dwarf that had worked hard to make many of the wonderful doors, thrones, and tables we still use to this day. A few months later, we found Litast, a Fisher, also completely drained of blood. Again a few months later, it hit Inod, an experienced Armorer, that proved to be a harsh blow to our fortress in the goblin invasions that would follow very soon.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. This time, our wise leader decided he'd had enough. And this time, we actually had someone who claimed he had seen the whole thing. He claimed that one of our hunting squad had killed poor Inod in his sleep after a hard day at the forge. But when he reviewed the personal files we get on each dwarf from the mountain homes, our leader found that that the witness, Èrith Logemsigun, had lived in over twenty different settlements before he immigrated to Konosolin. Seeing this, he decided in his great wisdom that it was very likely that Èrith had done the bloody deed his very self."

"Even though he had no hard evidence, he convicted him anyway. Now I know that many of you young people call this period the dark times of our fortress, because you claim that our wise leader wasn't elected by the will of the people, and that he had used oppressive and dictatorial means. Humbug I say! Those were the glory days of old when a leader took swift action for the best of his people. He did absolutely right in convicting Èrith as you will soon see."

"You see, in those days, we didn't have the lavish prison next to the dining hall. That is a place where the young ones even like to try and sneak into, because they marvel at the craftsdwarfship of the golden chains, and the comfortable beds. No, in those days, we had nothing but two leaden cages we bought from the Elves a few years before. It was one of these very cages Èrith was locked away in. And since he was still unsure, our leader ordered walls to be constructed around these cages. A door was placed and firmly locked, to see if Èrith would cry for food after a while. But even after almost a month into his prison sentence he wouldn't display any signs of malnourishment. Not easily fooled, our leader concluded that he must be a blood sucking fiend, responsible for the others as well, and swiftly sentenced him to jail time for these deeds as well."

"By the time he had done about two thirds of his time, a change of heart befell Èrith. He rued what he had done, and yet he knew his vampire nature would drive him to do it again if he was to be set free. So he asked our leader to be drowned in a pool of hot magma as is still our custom for the most vile of crimes, such as being a goblin. But our leader hesitated. You see, Èrith was a famous black smith at this time already - he created Ariseth, that very marvelous bronze statue of the founding of our great metropolis that we have in the statue garden near the living quarters. So our leader announced that he couldn't stand to waste such god given talent for craftsdwarfship. Yet he couldn't allow Èrith to go free once again and continue his murders."

"What our wise leader did instead is this. He had a complex of chambers excavated deep in the bowels of the earth near the magma pipe. A table and chair was placed there, and a bed as well. Also a magma forge with only the finest tools. A crafty system of dump chutes leading in and out of the complex was devised. Finally, we would place Èrith's cage in there and hook it up to a lever outside, and then seal off the entire complex with thick granite walls. When the lever was pulled, Èrith's cage opened and he was set free, to wander these quarters, but not to leave it ever again. He has a dining room, yet he never eats. He has a bed, but he never sleeps. He just dwells there, brooding, in the dark, and ever so often, a bin with bars would come down the chute, with instructions on metal items he can make, to enrich our fortress with the beauty of craftsdwarfship, and to atone for his sins. They say his craftsdwarfship has even improved in his isolation. Some say it's because smithing is all he ever does, but I believe that it's his way of speaking to the outside world. He can never directly speak to a living dwarf again, so he uses his ornamentation to tell his fellow dwarves he's sorry for what he did, and he's trying his best to be an honor for dwarfhood."

"Your stories are stupid, grandma. Everyone knows vampires aren't real. No dwarf can live for years without eating. Why even a few years ago Cilob's uncle starved to death while excavating a drainage pipe. There's no way we have an undying master blacksmith here."

"Oh really? Have you ever wondered why not a single dwarf in this fortress has any experience or interest in blacksmithing, yet our dining hall is full of master work metal furniture and our baron sits on a golden throne? Have you never wondered why sometimes we ask you to drop a few bins with bronze bars in that dark hole far down in the earth? And have you never wondered why sometimes we ask you to pick up masterful bronze furniture from that tiny room even further below? And have you never noticed the moans in the staircase wall next to the old magma forge?"

tl;dr: Had legendary vampire blacksmith, sealed him off in a small room and had him make masterwork metal furniture for the rest of his life time. Planning to train another vampire as gem setter BTW.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2012, 06:45:20 pm »

Well written story! Thanks :)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2012, 09:28:09 pm »

Well written story! Thanks :)
I have to agree with that, this story completely sucked me in.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2012, 05:47:37 am »

Rodem Sestaura was a an adventurer, his skills with the sword was unmatched, and for years he traveled from town to town offering his sword in the service of the people.
Many a monster fell to his blade and soon word of his exploits reached the queen herself. When she heard the tale of Rodem she demanded to see him at once, there was one creature that still plagued the countryside.. Monom Saszar, the Sizzling Glow, a mighty dragon with over three thousand kills to his name.
This was a mighty challenge, even for Rodem, and he requested a military detachment to assist him in taking down the beast; The Queen agreed.
Rodem and a detachment of 20 soldiers left the castle and headed north towards Monom Saszar's cave.

The mighty dragon had made his home in an abandoned temple. Huge marble columns surrounded an open area where the dragon slept on his hoard.
As they approached, the dragon stirred, black smoke bellowing from his nostrils, there was no turning back now..
The battle was joined, the soldiers charged forwards, Rodem at their head when suddenly the world turned red.
Liquid Fire spouted from the dragons mouth enveloping everyone but rodem, who just barely managed to dodge out of the way. The screams of the burning soldiers rang in his ears as he charged the last few meters towards the dragon.

He swung his sword towards the dragon's neck, but it failed to penetrate deep enough, and only left a small gash. In retaliation the dragon slashed out with his claws, slicing through Rodem's Iron armor and tearing into his flesh. Another claw strike followed, and another. Rodem rolled away from a furious attack and managed to get his bearings, he was bleeding, but he was still alive. He got up and charged towards the dragon, aiming for his head this time he plunged his sword into its right eye, tearing it apart.
The dragon roared and rushed forwards, knocking Rodem on his back, the dragons maw clenched around his right arm and bit down hard. There was a sickening crunch as the dragon pulled away his arm from the elbow down.
Rodem was bleeding out, this was it, it was all over now, the legendary swordsman had finally met his match. The dragon opened his mouth, a red glow emanating from deep in his throat, as it prepared another gout of flame to wash away what was left of Rodem.
Suddenly, a lone arrow came flying out of the ash and smoke from the initial attack and struck the dragon clean in his remaining eye, a lone archer had survived the burns and bleeding the fire had caused, and was ready to rejoin the fight. The dragon was now blind, but he still managed to catch the archer in a massive billow of flame.
This was the only chance Rodem would get, he rolled over to his discarded forearm, threw away his shield and picked up the sword. This wasn't over yet.
The dragon turned around and saw Rodem back on his feet, he charged forward, Rodem charged to meet him and plunged his sword into the dragon's mouth and buried it deep in his skull.

Rodem awoke some time later, still bleeding from a number of deep gashes and the stump of his right arm. He picked himself up bandaged his wounds as best he could and staggered through the carnage of the battlefield.. twenty charred corpses surrounded him, some had tried to crawl away, paths of blood and burnt flesh marred the marble floor.

He left his sword there, in the dragon's skull, and would never wield another again...

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2012, 12:12:54 am »

I have one that made me laugh a bit. I already posted this somewhere else, but it fits here too.

Dear Little Urist McNoPants,

I understand you're upset, I would be too if I was naked.
But instead of throwing bins of clothes at everyone else,
just take a second and put some on.

Sincerely,
Mr. McOverseer

PS: Please, if you are going to stay mad leave the clothing stockpile.
There are other dwarves perfectly willing to dress themselves that want in.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2012, 10:47:04 pm »

Here's a story I posted a while ago:
So I embarked out in the savanna, and although I was only initially bothered by a few buzzards, year 5 or so rolled around and we've got a horse problem. I'll spare you all the long rambling narrative, but here's the rundown of what happened leading up to my problem:

1) The horses initially just sorta played "chicken" with the dwarves going in and out of the fort. A few cancelled jobs, but no real problems.
2) Finally, they got really bold and a couple ran INTO the fortress, causing mass panic and job cancellation.
3) I enabled the military on a "kill:horse" expedition, but since they were all barehanded and trying to wrestle the horse to death (and horses are fast), it ended up with the wrestlers just chasing the horses back and forth, presumably to this music.
4) After locking the horse in th dining room with my wrestlers, I was hoping they'd chase it around long enough to allow me to build a few cage traps outside of the door to catch it. Alas, just as I unlocked the door and the wrestlers moved to chase it out into the cage traps, the horse freaked out and trampled on a dwarf carrying her baby, trampling the baby to death and knocking the mother unconcious on top of the cage trap, triggering it to catch her instead of the horse.
5) Cage trap plan part 2: I trapped the horse in the hospital, and had my wrestlers once again chase the damn thing around while I built more cage traps around the door. Just as I was unlocking the door, the horse fell down the well. I assumed that It would drown or something, but instead, it swam up into the tunnel (the one that I dug to open up the lake into the well) and just stood there in 3/7 water. For about 2 seasons.
6) I finally got sick of seeing the horse in my well, so I dug a flight of stairs down to it and waited for it to exit the well, go through the hospital, and get caged. Sure enough, after waiting for another 2 seasons, he did exactly that.
7) Elated that I'd finally caught the hooved menace, I toyed with what to do with him. I had my ranger train him to make it tame, but then I thought better of the "pet horse that once pissed me off and killed a baby" and decided to butcher it.
8) After setting it to be butchered, the dwarf opened the cage, and THE DAMN HORSE escaped, running amok like some sort of angry galloping santa with job cancellation spam instead of presents. And now I've discovered that because of the (tame) tag, I can't target him with my military dwarves to make them chase him around anymore. Without the dwarven keystone cops chasing him around, it's hella hard to route him through specific doorways...
So the horse (now named Rumadabsam) is finally locked away in my tower-cap farm down on the cavern level. I've already cleared out most of the beasties in the cavern level, but I'm trying to think of what to do with the bugger now...

Does Giant Cave Spider Silk mean that there's a Giant Cave Spider nearby? I haven't run into one in my explorations of the cavern, but I keep seeing the silk around...
and so, the reign (rein?) of terror of Ramadabsam came to an end. I sent the wrestlers down to to the tree farm and had them patrol in a circular path for a while. Eventually, the horse got spooked in the proper direction and went out the airlock into the newly penetrated second cavern system. This particular cavern is yet unexplored, so we'll see what fun Ramadabsam gets himself into as he trots around down there among the mushrooms.

[EDIT]: "Troglodytes" is the answer, lol. He ran into a pack of them, and they chased him all of the the cavern. Since he's technically "(tame)," the chase revealed all of the nooks and crannies of the cavern, so I know exactly what it's full of now (more troglodytes). They got tired of chasing him eventually, but he's still down there, and they say that if you listen carefully, you can hear his hoofbeats and whinnying deep in the caves...
 8)
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2012, 12:56:16 pm »

Found a necromancer tower in the middle of an icy tundra during a blizzard. Seeking shelter from the storm, I walked inside.
What proceeded can be summed up by me luring several dozen undead out into the storm, picking them off groups at a time with a silver mace, until just the necromancers remained inside the tower. The ring leader was on the floor above, away from the books, so I left him alone.
One of the books caught my eye.
The Dwarf is my life.
I put the book back on the table, turned around and headed down the staircase. The Dwarf Necromancer caught sight of me, and gave chase, calmly raising all the undead I had slain, before giving up and walking back into the tower - as I walked out.
The blizzard had ended.

Henrietta

• Bay Watcher
  • watery mouth lambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 01, 2012, 07:37:21 am »

Once we had a Baroness and her consort show up to our skeleton and vomit encrusted series of meandering caves that passed for a fort. The Baroness was a perfectly sensible Dwarf and apart from her intial demands for an opulent bedroom she pretty much minded her own business. Sometimes we'd hear an order to construct granite hatch covers, not that the fort actually needed any hatch covers, but we were happy enough to carve a few lumps of granite into slabs.

Her consort, the Baron however... in the first month he demanded we make him... mittens. Wool mittens. This was not considered an appropriately Dwarven request, and so it was rightly ignored. Time passed, and some months later there came another request from on high for mittens. This too was ignored. The bleak chill of midwinter set in and we huddled down in our misreable rat infested dirt pile, shivering in the blood stinking halls.

"Mittens."

"No."

Spring arrived, then Summer, and then the least Dwarven mandate we'd ever recieved. The Baron demanded that we construct an ornate gem window for his bedroom. This was ignored. Unfortunately, after mocking and studiously ignoring him for the better part of two years the Baron went berserk. He smashed through his bedroom door and began flailing his fists at a nearby Dwarven child, screaming in incoherent rage. This minor kerfuffle was noticed by a pack of the fortress hounds who set upon the Baron with great fervour, tearing out his throat and biting off both of his hands. The child scampered away, cursing at the mad Dwarf over his shoulder, and the Baron Consort bled to death shamefully, torn to pieces by half-starved mutts.

I ordered half of his remains to be buried in the paupers graveyard, the other half incinerated. Then I renamed his only child "Disgraced".
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:41:20 am by Henrietta »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2012, 07:44:46 am »

The first story has been illustrated! Congrats to imperium3 for his story about a Bronze Colossus!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15