Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3763940 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #11130 on: July 02, 2014, 02:48:15 pm »

Well, DTs UI is a heck of a lot more user friendly than the job interface ingame. Can't play fort mode without it.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: July 02, 2014, 02:56:25 pm »

I just cannot play a fort past the first year without DT's layout.

I suppose I could play without Hack, but I'll really miss the bugfixing tweaks, if they're not already done in the game itself, and the cleaning commands. It really helps out with mod-testing too.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11132 on: July 02, 2014, 03:11:23 pm »

Puny mortals. I have transcended the material plane and play manly, raw DF without wimpy 3rd party utility seasonings and tileset spices.

Long live the vanilla*!

*Excluding my additions like ashandarei and blue-crowned conures[/sub]
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: July 02, 2014, 03:17:28 pm »

Ashandarei?

Where could one obtain said addition? :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: July 02, 2014, 03:21:29 pm »

Puny mortals. I have transcended the material plane and play manly, raw DF without wimpy 3rd party utility seasonings and tileset spices.

Long live the vanilla*!

*Elitism Brofist*
You, you are allowed on my lawn.

Joking aside though, I see why folks really need the utilities, and when DFHack is available I do have it installed, I just usually don't use it outside of fixing a bug or incomplete feature. (My most used DFHack feature is the siege engine targeting)  I just figure everybody who hasn't tried vanilla should give it at least an hour or two shot. 

There's just something satisfying about knowing you accomplished a task without 3rd party tools.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:23:20 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: July 02, 2014, 03:25:11 pm »

I only use Dwarf Therapist.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: July 02, 2014, 03:27:21 pm »

Same. I tried Therapist and it didn't really do much for me. The automatic assigning to custom job sets was nice, though.
I went through a phase of using Therapist etc.and it was very useful while learning the game. But after a while, I realised that it just isn't that necessary to micromanage that much. Just let immigrants keep their default labours, and if a job isn't getting done, just grab a nearby idle dwarf and turn it on. Who cares if you end up with a Farmer-Blacksmith?

I happily trade in a sub-optimal armour production line for ease of play and not having to jump back and forth to multiple windows.

Exactly how I play. It might not look good, it might not be the most efficient, but Armok! The blood and the magma will still flow.
And there'll be things to trade.

Long live the vanilla*!

*Elitism Brofist*
You, you are allowed on my lawn.

Joking aside though, I see why folks really need the utilities, and when DFHack is available I do have it installed, I just usually don't use it outside of fixing a bug or incomplete feature. (My most used DFHack feature is the siege engine targeting)  I just figure everybody who hasn't tried vanilla should give it at least an hour or two shot. 

There's just something satisfying about knowing you accomplished a task without 3rd party tools.

I like the fixes too.  But honestly, I can't use anything but the default tileset and I find it more complicated to use the utilities.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: July 02, 2014, 03:28:20 pm »

I only use Dwarf Therapist.
Whenever I try to do that, all I get is a pop-up asking if I'm sure Dwarf Fortress is running ;)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: July 02, 2014, 03:30:06 pm »

:P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11139 on: July 02, 2014, 05:26:17 pm »

I do like Therapist for quickly disabling and enabling a ton of jobs--like, when I decide everyone needs to work on a mass hauling project.  It's just faster than using the keyboard commands since I can commit 15 changes at once.  But other than that, I don't use any outside tools, since I just don't find them useful enough for my own purposes.  Some of DFHack's finish-something-not-currently-working-right features have seemed interesting, but I don't generally play forts long enough to really have a buildup of problems it would fix.  I tend to be too addicted to modding in a new race or creature that I have to regenerate to have right now...
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11140 on: July 02, 2014, 06:46:46 pm »

The new conversation code has shaken things up a bit, so the liaison will probably be able to get passing acquaintance status now, but I think with the way it cycles them out over time if they don't get to full friendship, they might not ever build into anything.  I don't have a particular plan for changing it at this point, but it could afford to be more interesting.  Start scenarios/hill dwarves will also introduce some other off-site dwarves that regularly visit the fort (and the whole inn/tavern bit will probably lead to repeat visitors as well).  It'll be neat to see how the relationships between all those critters evolve.  Even now, any rep issues between the liaison and other historical dwarves can come into play, as uncommon as those might be.  I suppose it could be most pronounced if a former adventurer with a colorful career is appointed liaison or migrates to a fort.

I'm a little out of the loop, but I've always hoped that a sort of Tavern/Inn thing would be potential. Designating a series of rooms as an Inn, such as an Inn Dining Hall, specific rooms for guests. I think the game could get more interesting, say a Werebeast chose to stay the night haha.
I suppose my question here is: Can we look forward to making a Fort have "Hospitality" as a factor in the Economy, such as running Inns or Taverns, even being able to have a sort of Tourism Income? Potentially designating a tower of Soap as a "Landmark", making an event in the history, and thereby creating a site of forms? Or will the Tavern/Inn bit more be just the Trading Depot where the Caravan stays?

It would also be interesting to see the Mayor become close with a Liason for example, even marrying. I mean, a long distance, seasonal relationship would be quite impressive. Heheh, Dwarven Custody Battles
Are there plans for the Liason or other Visiting Persons to become involved with a resident, making a sort of Long Distance Relationship? Could this lead to repeated visits? Or could it potentially lead to the gain of a visitor and potential children, or the emmigration of a citizen? On a further note, is there any plan for a "Divorce" and resulting moods if a couple has been exceptionally distant, has had a public fight (leading to divorce by court order), and an actual custody battle?

Sorry if what I'm asking sounds crazy.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: July 03, 2014, 04:41:03 am »

(...)
Um, game suggestions disguised as questions are frowned upon in this thread.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11142 on: July 03, 2014, 08:26:25 am »

The new version will offer us amazing stuff like insurrections; But i wonder- Is some of it restricted to humans and goblins, civilizations with variable positions, and if so which aspects? Just wondering because currently some events, like demons taking over civilzations, will only happen if the civilization in question has variable positions.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: July 03, 2014, 11:50:57 am »

In the same vein as the post above, Necromancers lead insurrections? If so, would both sides turn on them when the Necromancer/s undead minions are raised? When they attack?
[/quote]
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #11144 on: July 03, 2014, 01:12:24 pm »

Kinda related to the above:
Was there any mention of the undead not using the old "kill all living, ignore others" system anymore?

Because that way we could have two necromancers fighting it out with their undead armies or zombies vs vampires or similar. Seems reasonable for the undead to have a system similar to the one humans and other creatures have (or is that system related to souls and thus not applicable?). That could also lead to zombies being turned to someone else's side or being controlled by another necromancer's spell temporarily in the future.
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 748