Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3763985 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #11115 on: July 01, 2014, 05:54:00 pm »

I have not played for months but I will be playing non stop once a few bug fix releases get put out. Though I would say that bugs drive me insane so I tend to have a hard time sticking with forts due to bugs...wish Toady would spend a good 6 months on bug fixing...

He usually spends a while making bug fix updates...

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11116 on: July 01, 2014, 06:05:36 pm »

yes I believe I was talking to someone while typing and accidentally typed "which" instead of wish...there is no supposition...only the desire of a more bug free DF...I am more than aware of how long it takes Toady to do bug fixes after a release.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11117 on: July 01, 2014, 06:12:33 pm »

which Toady would spend a good 6 months on bug fixing...

On what are you basing your supposition ? How long did it take last time ?

[...] the 31.01 release required months of followup work -- 31.02 through 31.12 (July 25, almost 4 months later) all had fixes for game-breaking crashes (with the exception of 31.04, which integrated the 40d* rendering updates).  19-month release cycle => 4 months of bugfixing.

32a (the first 3D release) followed a similar pattern -- it was followed by 6 bugfix releases over almost 2 months.  9.5 months of work => 2 months of bugfixing.  Actually, that's more than similar -- it's almost exactly the same ratio, 1 month of bugfixing for every 4.75 months of work.

That predicts 5+ months of bugfixing for this 25-month release.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:18:11 pm by Footkerchief »

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11118 on: July 02, 2014, 01:31:32 am »

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about how long it'll take to bring the mods up to date, and as a result I'm half-pondering waiting for a bit until at least DFHack and DwarfTherapist are enabled, along with a couple other bits and pieces (Though the two I mentioned are the main ones I can't live without, honestly!)
Jump in and use the standard interface. It puts hairs on your chest!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11119 on: July 02, 2014, 03:29:39 am »

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about how long it'll take to bring the mods up to date, and as a result I'm half-pondering waiting for a bit until at least DFHack and DwarfTherapist are enabled, along with a couple other bits and pieces (Though the two I mentioned are the main ones I can't live without, honestly!)

What? There's another way to play this game? Blasphemy! Heresy! Anything-Else-That-Can-Get-You-Burnt-At-A-Stake-y!

Or as Wrex from Mass Effect would put it: This is a MAN EMERGENCY!
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11120 on: July 02, 2014, 06:12:14 am »

I'm already going bald, I don't want to speed up the process!
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11121 on: July 02, 2014, 08:47:28 am »

The standard interface is a grave tool, only to be used in times when nothing else can prevail...

Standard interface. Got it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11122 on: July 02, 2014, 08:59:17 am »

I'll just use the standard interface. It's not like a x.0 fort lasts more than a couple of years anyway, due to bugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11123 on: July 02, 2014, 11:41:35 am »

At any rate the current interface and mechanics are still better than they were years ago.  Imagine playing the game without being able to forbid items, or without restricting dwarves to burrows during sieges, or without the ability to build walls...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11124 on: July 02, 2014, 12:39:06 pm »

The interface is workable. I've never extensively used anything else.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11125 on: July 02, 2014, 12:43:03 pm »

The interface is workable. I've never extensively used anything else.

Same. I tried Therapist and it didn't really do much for me. The automatic assigning to custom job sets was nice, though.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11126 on: July 02, 2014, 12:44:33 pm »

I used tools when starting to get familiar. After it I only use graphic mods at home and pure vanilla at work.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11127 on: July 02, 2014, 01:30:57 pm »

Same. I tried Therapist and it didn't really do much for me. The automatic assigning to custom job sets was nice, though.
I went through a phase of using Therapist etc.and it was very useful while learning the game. But after a while, I realised that it just isn't that necessary to micromanage that much. Just let immigrants keep their default labours, and if a job isn't getting done, just grab a nearby idle dwarf and turn it on. Who cares if you end up with a Farmer-Blacksmith?

I happily trade in a sub-optimal armour production line for ease of play and not having to jump back and forth to multiple windows.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11128 on: July 02, 2014, 01:40:47 pm »

Even with dwarf therapist I tend to have multi job Dwarves...I personally just like the easier interface...I could never do one job only dwarves I dont think...way to much micromanagement

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11129 on: July 02, 2014, 02:07:19 pm »

Dwarf therapist has been making crazy progress in micromanagement and easing the appointing of fit dwarves for every roll. I will probably play a lot with it again, specially since I'll sure be rusty.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 748