Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809271 times)

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10710 on: May 20, 2014, 09:15:49 pm »

(nothing exclusive -- what they didn't say is that I acknowledged at the event that people were trying to guess the release date and to avoid spoiling all the fun the 38% figure was very approximate...  it could be anything!)

the 38% figure was very approximate...  it could be anything!

it could be anything!

it could be anything!

it could be anything!

it could be anything!
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10711 on: May 20, 2014, 10:28:54 pm »

(nothing exclusive -- what they didn't say is that I acknowledged at the event that people were trying to guess the release date and to avoid spoiling all the fun the 38% figure was very approximate...  it could be anything!)

the 38% figure was very approximate...  it could be anything!

it could be anything!

it could be anything!

it could be anything!

it could be anything!

[POSSIBILITY INTENSIFIES]

No but seriously, Toady, do you think that the later (laaaater) versions of DF will have built in GUIs with similar form and function to (for example) DTherapist and StoneSense?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: May 20, 2014, 10:43:50 pm »

At least things like DT and StoneSense point towards methods that work.

Who knows, he might be able to incorporate a variant of it (without some of the bells and whistles probably) into the game itself.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: May 21, 2014, 11:10:20 am »

Just remember that the case will likely be that it will be up to whoever Toady trusts with the graphical and UI code if he thinks such a major overhaul is next in the list. IIRC Toady really doesn't like messing with that part of the code, and it was someone other than him that moved DF over to SDL.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10714 on: May 21, 2014, 07:43:10 pm »

It's a continuing process as usual. more climbing tweaks, culminating with the new debug button to place all of the dwarves in the fortress up in the tree tops and see if they can make their way down. That all seemed to work, so hopefully there won't be too much stranding upon the release.

Why did the dwarves make their way down from the treetops? Did any fail their climb checks and fall down to the ground, if that happens?

Under what non-combat situations will units climb?

Will dwarves stuck in holes try to climb out now?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10715 on: May 21, 2014, 10:54:15 pm »

It's a continuing process as usual. more climbing tweaks, culminating with the new debug button to place all of the dwarves in the fortress up in the tree tops and see if they can make their way down. That all seemed to work, so hopefully there won't be too much stranding upon the release.

Why did the dwarves make their way down from the treetops? Did any fail their climb checks and fall down to the ground, if that happens?

Under what non-combat situations will units climb?

Will dwarves stuck in holes try to climb out now?

I can think of a dozen reasons why they would make their way back down from the treetops.

In addition to Urist Da Vincis questions:

Will dwarves climb down if they manage to get themselves stuck on a wall which has no access down?

Quote from: 5/21 devlog
I ended up needing a preliminary conflict state "encounter" to handle some wilderness animal interruption issues. It doesn't do much at the moment aside from manage job cancellation issues, but I imagine it'll be the foundation for things like threat displays etc. later.

What do you mean by threat displays here? Like what frilled lizards do for example?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:11:07 pm by smjjames »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: May 22, 2014, 07:47:13 am »

I ended up needing a preliminary conflict state "encounter" to handle some wilderness animal interruption issues. It doesn't do much at the moment aside from manage job cancellation issues, but I imagine it'll be the foundation for things like threat displays etc. later.

What do you mean by threat displays here? Like what frilled lizards do for example?
I can't think of anything else that Toady could reasonably mean here. It pretty much has to be that kind of display.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: May 22, 2014, 08:11:21 am »

Yeah I'm basically wondering if that's what he means.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: May 22, 2014, 09:29:16 am »

I can't think of anything else that Toady could reasonably mean here. It pretty much has to be that kind of display.

I know Toady said that this change wasn't that much significant by now, but if "manage job cancellation issues" means what I think it means, maybe our dwarves won't stop their lives when there's a snake wandering down inside a nearby, unreachable hole... Also, threat displays, I can only think of building "fear-inducing turrets" around this concept, with horrible beasts with their cages facing outwards, deterring potential interlopers.

Does this "cultural identity" affects directly which kind of management choices (e.g buildings, infraestructure, mining preferences) and conflicts involve these dwarves? Or is just for flavor measures and choosing the kind of engravings they might tend to carve?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: May 22, 2014, 10:09:15 am »

Has jumping been tested on NPCs yet? Sometimes it's easier and quicker to jump down instead of climbing...

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10720 on: May 22, 2014, 11:28:38 am »

Will dwarf fortress have seamless terrain? Like,if you walk to the west long enough,and swim across the seas,you will end up back where you started? The map would not need to be mapped on a sphere.Just a seamless texture.It would add very much to the immersion.

and

Also,will the NPC-s stop being psychic in this update? It seems so very unlikely that the villagers and kings know about EVERY minor bandit and night creature.

as well as

Also,cave entrances? So far they have been holes on top of hills. I suggest having more,more NATURAL cave entrances,in locations other than the top of a hill,and less random holes in the ground,and more holes in the ground inside a CAVE,for the night creatures to live in.
I am a Goober.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10721 on: May 22, 2014, 11:51:00 am »

Will dwarf fortress have seamless terrain? Like,if you walk to the west long enough,and swim across the seas,you will end up back where you started? The map would not need to be mapped on a sphere.Just a seamless texture.It would add very much to the immersion.

and

Also,will the NPC-s stop being psychic in this update? It seems so very unlikely that the villagers and kings know about EVERY minor bandit and night creature.

as well as

Also,cave entrances? So far they have been holes on top of hills. I suggest having more,more NATURAL cave entrances,in locations other than the top of a hill,and less random holes in the ground,and more holes in the ground inside a CAVE,for the night creatures to live in.

This thread is for questions, not suggestions (or suggestions disguised as questions). None of the things you asked will be on the next update, but npcs won't know the exact localization of quest targets.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: May 22, 2014, 11:51:16 am »

and

as well as

Right now the edges just have this invisible barrier, but migrant groups and certain foreign materials can come in off the edges depending on the version you're playing; it's just not really well defined right now, what the world is. But it would be easy to make a torus or a cylinder, or to fudge a sphere with the proper edge behaviour, like something going off the top edge and then coming half way over on the other top edge. I don't remember if you actually get a sphere from that or some kind of weird projected space, but it's close enough. So we'll probably mess around with that later on ...

Capntastic:   [1f]Concerning cave entrances like for the megabeasts - I just know this from adventure mode - when you're sent to go kill a dragon or something you go to the area where the cave is and the entrance is just like a hole in the ground, is that going to be changed eventually/soon? Where it's like it's actually a cave? I mean I'm sure it's going to be eventually ...
Toady:   When cliffs come back - when we get a notion of a cliff as an external feature - the problem with cliffs coming back was that you didn't have a way to climb, they were everywhere and you didn't have a way to climb in adventure mode. But cliffs can start to come back first probably as external features, just like the lava and so on, like lava and bottomless pits used to be these features underground, there are going to be special features above ground where you have a bit more interesting things that it also can have a handle on so it doesn't just put them everywhere and at that time you can start to think about a cave entrance that looks more interesting. The problem was that there's no real sheer faces to make a cave entrance look more like you'd expect a cave entrance to look like, so it just has to dig down, right? It has to dig in the dirt until it gets a cave entrance for you, which is really disappointing because you go and they all look like these little pits. So it's something we want to change but it's something that has an intermediate step that needs to go in first and I'm not sure when the aboveground thing ... when we put in things like canyons and mesas and other interesting constructions aboveground.

That should answer your first and third question at least, no idea on the second one though.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10723 on: May 24, 2014, 05:12:05 am »

While you wait, here, have something I dreamt about today.

DF2014 dreams keep coming back!

[...]

The DF part was about Toady posting a devlog in which he mentioned that people have to take a shot of beer a day if he doesn't release the new version before the 28th of May, whiskey if it's not out by the 4th of June and whatever else afterwards.

[...]
Still, that's another DF2014 dream. Too bad I'm not legal to participate in Toady's drinking game, but I don't like alcohol anyway.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10724 on: May 24, 2014, 05:14:23 am »

While you wait, here, have something I dreamt about today.

DF2014 dreams keep coming back!

[...]

The DF part was about Toady posting a devlog in which he mentioned that people have to take a shot of beer a day if he doesn't release the new version before the 28th of May, whiskey if it's not out by the 4th of June and whatever else afterwards.

[...]
Still, that's another DF2014 dream. Too bad I'm not legal to participate in Toady's drinking game, but I don't like alcohol anyway.

((Seven dreams? You're catching up :P)
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 748