Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809370 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10650 on: May 14, 2014, 03:54:46 pm »

(re: dev list, I just skipped that whole capture section by mistake)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10651 on: May 14, 2014, 03:58:57 pm »

Is the green text officially meant to be for Toady? As in using it for other things in this thread isn't allowed or was it just done to make the posts stand out?

It's done to make our questions for Toady stand out so Toady can easily locate and answer them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing D&D Counts as Partying
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/
« Reply #10652 on: May 14, 2014, 08:21:27 pm »

Thank you so much for updating that page! It'll probably help answer a lot of questions that would have otherwise been asked here.
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10653 on: May 15, 2014, 08:44:08 am »

Being able to look at a list of all known creatures you've seen and where

Pokedex, Dwarf edition.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10654 on: May 15, 2014, 10:57:00 am »

Pokedex, Dwarf edition.
I'm now picturing a dwarf in full steel armour, covered in blood, holding up the damn thing.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10655 on: May 15, 2014, 04:14:54 pm »

Pokedex, Dwarf edition.
I'm now picturing a dwarf in full steel armour, covered in blood, holding up the damn thing.
"Crap I forget the type weakness this night creature had. Was it silver or copper?"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10656 on: May 15, 2014, 09:02:36 pm »

Oh, I have a couple technical questions for you to answer when you're not slaving away to armok. I hope this isn't a repost.

In the upcoming version of DF, will you upgrade to the much improved yet backwards-incompatible SDL v2.0, or stick to what ain't broken? I seem to recall that SDL support was implemented by another person, so you might not be the right person to ask.

And, to what extent is DF hardware accelerated? Do physics simulations, such as water flowing down a river, take any benefits from GPGPU? I would imagine the parallelization that comes with it would be beneficial, but I don't know if the flow of water relies on ticks in the main loop or what. If nothing like this is implemented right now, do you think utilizing GPU Compute would be viable? Would it be something you'd even consider doing yourself, this project being a one-man-band and such?

And of course, thank you for your dedicated work!  ;)
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #10657 on: May 15, 2014, 09:05:23 pm »

Since there will now be the possibility of non-lethal fights, one assumes they'd also be present in Fortress mode.  How would this work if a goblin surrenders instead of fleeing?  Would the dwarf simply leave him, execute him, or could we somehow cage him to keep him as a prisoner? Thanks for your dedication to the project.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10658 on: May 15, 2014, 09:16:44 pm »

Unless the state has changed since the last WoT on the subject, Toady has stated that Fortress mode combat is still no quarter. That means no surrender is accepted, basically.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10659 on: May 15, 2014, 09:35:34 pm »

In the upcoming version of DF, will you upgrade to the much improved yet backwards-incompatible SDL v2.0, or stick to what ain't broken? I seem to recall that SDL support was implemented by another person, so you might not be the right person to ask.

And, to what extent is DF hardware accelerated? Do physics simulations, such as water flowing down a river, take any benefits from GPGPU? I would imagine the parallelization that comes with it would be beneficial, but I don't know if the flow of water relies on ticks in the main loop or what. If nothing like this is implemented right now, do you think utilizing GPU Compute would be viable? Would it be something you'd even consider doing yourself, this project being a one-man-band and such?

Toady has said before that he doesn't really understand the SDL code, and the collaboration was a bad experience.  On that basis the upgrade is not planned for any time soon, unfortunately. 

DF is almost entirely single-threaded (with minor exceptions), and there are no plans for multi-threading support in the foreseeable future.  There's an old joke: I had a problem, so I decided to use multithreading - I/four/Now/problems/have...

Basically, things which require painful rewrites are deferred in favor of adding (simulation) features - remember that DF is only about a third of the way towards a complete alpha version!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10660 on: May 15, 2014, 09:49:59 pm »

Toady has said before that he doesn't really understand the SDL code, and the collaboration was a bad experience.  On that basis the upgrade is not planned for any time soon, unfortunately. 

DF is almost entirely single-threaded (with minor exceptions), and there are no plans for multi-threading support in the foreseeable future.  There's an old joke: I had a problem, so I decided to use multithreading - I/four/Now/problems/have...

Basically, things which require painful rewrites are deferred in favor of adding (simulation) features - remember that DF is only about a third of the way towards a complete alpha version!

I could have sworn that the collaboration went fine, but that nobody has heard from the collaborator in about 2 years and we are all just happy that the code he wrote and included works.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10661 on: May 15, 2014, 10:23:33 pm »

Yeah, IIRC they had a good working relationship, but Baughn went on to bigger and better things; not many potential collaborators can commit to the "twenty years or so" timeframe DF is scheduled for, which is among the reasons Toady doesn't collaborate much.

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10662 on: May 15, 2014, 11:46:47 pm »

the collaboration was a bad experience

I'm sorry to hear that.

...huh? I never mentioned anything about multi-threading. Concurrency is difficult and bug-prone, I'm talking about stream processing.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:50:49 pm by Streeter »

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10663 on: May 16, 2014, 02:38:42 am »

I could have sworn that the collaboration went fine, but that nobody has heard from the collaborator in about 2 years and we are all just happy that the code he wrote and included works.
He is reachable, i wrote to him and he answered. Also anyone can modify the graphics part as it's available online. Though not sure if toady would accept changes. One thing that is not finished is TTF support for opengl mode (afaik it is not implemented).

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10664 on: May 16, 2014, 03:11:10 am »

I should clarify - the output was fine and the code works, but Toady doesn't want to do it again (IIRC).
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 748