Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806760 times)

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9630 on: March 17, 2014, 09:00:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With the inclusion of bandits working out of abandoned sites, and wandering armies. Will we see the movement of bandits away from their camps or lairs to harass towns and roads, while we can sneak in and raid their stuff before they return?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:12:16 pm by darklord92 »
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9631 on: March 17, 2014, 09:46:58 pm »

Will refugee populations from occupied towns sometimes turn into bandit gangs?

In addition to our newfound ability to make people cry, will we have any means to comfort them or make people happy?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9632 on: March 17, 2014, 09:57:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With the inclusion of bandits working out of abandoned sites, and wandering armies. Will we see the movement of bandits away from their camps or lairs to harass towns and roads, while we can sneak in and raid their stuff before they return?
That should be a yes. While they might never be entirely empty, but if you can catch a bandit group away from camp you should be able to get to their site with just a token presence.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9633 on: March 17, 2014, 10:29:10 pm »

I'm curious, Will a civ, say a goblin one, attack a human settlement, sparking a war between the two nations, if they aren't already at war?

(Unsure if this has been asked before)
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9634 on: March 18, 2014, 12:22:19 am »

Will refugee populations from occupied towns sometimes turn into bandit gangs?

Yes:
Note that taking over a site doesn't necessarily involve killing everybody in the main structure -- the upcoming plan is that if they yield, they can become regular citizens of the new entity, or if they run (or are sent away), they'll become bandits (taking their old entity and its site claim with them).

In addition to our newfound ability to make people cry, will we have any means to comfort them or make people happy?

Not yet.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9635 on: March 18, 2014, 02:19:49 am »

Bandits forced out of an invaded entity will be different in any way from other bandits? They will become more like of a freedom fighter group or will harass everyone like regular bandits?

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9636 on: March 18, 2014, 02:38:52 am »

Given that there will be substantially more developed non-human sites in the next version, will the Sites and Roads Legends mode map export include them now?

I'd like to know that for future reference in making my map maker. Sorry if it's been asked before.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9637 on: March 18, 2014, 05:05:10 am »

I support the last demand. I like the site maps (but if goblin cities are all in volume, 3D maps will be hard to make, and same thing for Dwarf Fortresses, I'm afraid...)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9638 on: March 18, 2014, 08:25:19 am »

Today I dreamed I was playing the next version for the first time. I was an adventurer in a small town and the starting scenario text said me it was accosted by bandits led by a werewolf. Then I woke up.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:45:14 am by thvaz »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9639 on: March 18, 2014, 08:43:15 am »

Given that there will be substantially more developed non-human sites in the next version, will the Sites and Roads Legends mode map export include them now?

I'd like to know that for future reference in making my map maker. Sorry if it's been asked before.
I support the last demand. I like the site maps (but if goblin cities are all in volume, 3D maps will be hard to make, and same thing for Dwarf Fortresses, I'm afraid...)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that several of the new sites won't be exportable on account of being too 3D. I suppose hill sites, and forest retreats might be exportable depending on how their zoning works, but the goblin towers and dwarf fortresses are likely not designed in a way that supports single-image maps. Deep sites might or might not have the same problem, and I am a bit sceptical about forest retreats.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9640 on: March 18, 2014, 08:47:29 am »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that several of the new sites won't be exportable on account of being too 3D. I suppose hill sites, and forest retreats might be exportable depending on how their zoning works, but the goblin towers and dwarf fortresses are likely not designed in a way that supports single-image maps. Deep sites might or might not have the same problem, and I am a bit sceptical about forest retreats.

For my purposes I only need the ones that are visible on the surface, so as long as there's some kind of demarcation at least, that'd be really useful.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9641 on: March 18, 2014, 01:36:32 pm »

So the new devlog clearly means that the elite military dwarves who become refugees when we abandon our forts will become bandits and plague legend mode, right?

I would say possibly, but not necessarily. It's a potential possibility, but from Toady's wording, not every refugee will become a bandit.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9642 on: March 18, 2014, 01:57:22 pm »

I can smell the progress... no idea when the release will be though.  Argh.  Things are getting done every day at least.

So the new devlog clearly means that the elite military dwarves who become refugees when we abandon our forts will become bandits and plague legend mode, right?

Quote from: december 17 2013 devlog
If a site gets a rumor that a force of critters is coming to eat them or torture them for fun (checking the ethics of the invading civ), many of the citizens decide it is worth it to leave. There'd normally be refugees with regular wars as well, but we don't have large-scale regular wars and related economic/agricultural hardship etc. yet, so I didn't bother with anything there at this point. In any case, the groups look for a safe spot to head for, often ending up together in a camp outside of a nearby non-hostile market town. Having historical figures going to live with their relatives will also be a possibility.

Becoming a bandit is one of multiple options refugees have at the moment.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9643 on: March 18, 2014, 02:33:32 pm »

I'm slowly beginning to hate hearing "it should be out in 2-3 months".

It's like we're a pig, ridden by Toady, holding the new release on a stick in front of our nose. It's literally just that.
I am a patient man (when it comes to games, anyway), but Toady is really putting our trust to the test here, I feel.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9644 on: March 18, 2014, 02:37:34 pm »

I'm slowly beginning to hate hearing "it should be out in 2-3 months".

It's like we're a pig, ridden by Toady, holding the new release on a stick in front of our nose. It's literally just that.
I am a patient man (when it comes to games, anyway), but Toady is really putting our trust to the test here, I feel.

Meh, the end result should be worth it. Better to have said trust, and gain, than have no trust and therefore have no gain.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 748