Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806827 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8655 on: January 09, 2014, 03:59:18 pm »

In the current version, there can quite a few difficulties in getting Dwarf civilisations to grow, especially when there are a lot of good-aligned mountains or on smaller maps. Larger maps, meanwhile, end up with large amounts of empty space. How much has this changed in the new version, especially with the new sites?

So I gotta ask: What were the settings for the following world? Seems to me like natural savagery and number of forgotten beasts was set to very high (along with a few other settings) for it to see so much travesty...
I don't think there's anything special about the settings. Forgotten beast number depends solely on world size and depth (though mega- and semimegabeast number can be varied), and savagery would mostly apply in this scenario to reduce the number of sites to conquer. I don't have comparison numbers, but 39 dwarf fortress sites sounds like a good number for a 100-year medium world.

Were these including the deep sites or hill sites or just the Dwarf Fortresses?

According to the wiki, the number of forgotten beasts is related to the size of the world. I'm not sure if they appear during worldgen after it starts running the world history though.

Do forgotten beasts spawn or demons escape from the underworld during active gameplay now?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8656 on: January 09, 2014, 04:08:56 pm »

Were these including the deep sites or hill sites or just the Dwarf Fortresses?
The devlog said forts, so I'm assuming it didn't include deep  and hill sites.

In the current version, there can quite a few difficulties in getting Dwarf civilisations to grow, especially when there are a lot of good-aligned mountains or on smaller maps. Larger maps, meanwhile, end up with large amounts of empty space. How much has this changed in the new version, especially with the new sites?
Hill sites appear outside mountains, so they should help if you get an excess number of aligned mountains.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8657 on: January 09, 2014, 04:28:28 pm »

Perhaps refugee mechanics were at work, and most people who weren't leaders (and some defenders) simply fled in the wake of the incoming beatdown?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8658 on: January 09, 2014, 04:34:23 pm »

Man, I loved today's devlog. And some say fort mode is being neglected!

This post raises one major question for me, which is: if a player adventurer kills a megabeast occupying a fort and makes a claim on the site, is the fort still reclaimable through fort mode? Will a reclamation party have to fight a hostile band of adventurers if they're an enemy of the dwarves' home civ? Can such a site claim generate hostility by itself?

The presence of moving armies on the world map during play also raises tactical and strategic concerns about the placement of forts. How do hostile civs target each other's sites for attack? Could an "outpost" fort placed between a metropolitan fort and a necromancer tower or dark fortress divert attacks away from the larger fort? Will attack frequency and strength be reflected by proximity? (apart from the 20-tile necromancer tower "attack radius")

I suspect that this purported emptiness on large maps isn't really as empty as it feels, primarily due to the lack of other entities moving around the world map and the lack of dwarven, elven, and goblin (goblen?) sites. Other things being equal, worlds will probably feel well-populated compared to the way they are now, simply due to these changes.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8659 on: January 09, 2014, 04:51:24 pm »

Do forgotten beasts spawn or demons escape from the underworld during active gameplay now?

No (except by player action, but you probably know that).  That would imply that your adventurer could watch dwarves mining out new tunnels (or otherwise releasing underworld creatures), which would be a big change.  We've heard about many ways the world will be more active during gameplay, but this isn't one of them.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8660 on: January 09, 2014, 04:56:26 pm »

In 2010 I "got" 5 days off work after the release. The hype for the new release is at least as stronger than in 2010.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8661 on: January 09, 2014, 04:58:50 pm »

Megabeasts can be defeated in worldgen currently.  It actually doesn't take that much.  Often random elves will somehow beat them in one on one combat.  Although on the other hand there are often megabeasts who last for centuries and have a hundred kills to their name.  Which is still ridiculously low for a rampaging dragon or whatever, but it looks like this release has sorted that out.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8662 on: January 09, 2014, 05:19:48 pm »

I dunno, In my checking the people who kill Megabeasts often have pretty good combat skills, except when the Megabeast was already injured.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8663 on: January 09, 2014, 06:03:36 pm »

How exactly would a single elf kill a dragon in the current combat system though?  I mean a born and raised elf, not one of those snatched or conquered ones that is OK with using metal weapons.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8664 on: January 09, 2014, 06:09:22 pm »

How exactly would a single elf kill a dragon in the current combat system though?  I mean a born and raised elf, not one of those snatched or conquered ones that is OK with using metal weapons.

By firing the lucky wooden arrow that hit the weak spot exposed by the thousands of other wooden arrows?
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8665 on: January 09, 2014, 07:05:48 pm »

I just wanted to say this:

TODAY DEVLOG IS AWESOME.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8666 on: January 09, 2014, 09:16:13 pm »

I just wanted to say this:

TODAY DEVLOG IS AWESOME.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8667 on: January 09, 2014, 10:47:24 pm »

Have you ever world genned a city/town/hill fort/fortress that was completely inhabited by vampires?
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8668 on: January 09, 2014, 11:06:31 pm »

this will be interesting when I make newer 10k year old worlds, as some beast, even vulnerable hydras, can make it from the dawn of time to surviving in the play year. Many descendants and stories from those I think.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8669 on: January 10, 2014, 12:59:45 am »

Guys, it's still too early to be alarmed, but the International Consortium of Bay Watchers has recently recorded a spike in the DFX of several thousand urists. Here's the latest graph from the site:

Official breifings to governments are being organized and I assume responsible and informed policy will be the result thereafter.
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 748