Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806857 times)

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8640 on: January 09, 2014, 02:04:29 pm »

Of course, some of the forgotten beasts occupying worldgen fortresses will be comically weak.

Maybe there is some sort of combat test that avoids it in world gen? This leads to the question:

Forgotten Beasts and Megabeasts will always win or can they be defeated or beaten back by the defenders? Their strenght plays a part in these attacks or is it random?

Quote from: EnigmaticHat
It looks to me like Toady enabled megabeasts to launch army style combat rather than attacks targeted at single historical figures.  AKA the old system of a dragon sneaking in, breaking one dwarf's leg, and then leaving.  Now it looks like we'll get the legends entry with the battle description where it will be like "A: 1 dragon, 0 losses/D: 120 Dwarfs, led by Urist Mcgeneral, 105 losses" and a description of all the duels that happened.

In regards to how combat works in worldgen, it takes skills, size, and maybe attributes into account, but nothing else as far as I know.  So a forgotten beast made of snow is almost exactly the same as one made of diamond.  That is, until it gets loaded into play and a hunter one-shots it with a copper arrow.
Even then, a few of those challengers get lucky and manage to kill a dragon, titan, colosus, FB, et cétera. So yes, there might be chance of not only fighting back, but also winning over the attacking creature, no matter how dire the odds may appear.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8641 on: January 09, 2014, 02:07:51 pm »

From the dev log it seemed many other fortress where doing okay, I can only infer some where attacked by megabeasts and either killed them or made them route.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: January 09, 2014, 02:16:51 pm »

Excellent devlog. It looks like the world is being brought into proper form, without much missing anymore. We can finally adventure into dwarf fortresses and goblin towers and elf retreats.

I hope road networks between the new sites are sorted out as of the release. Can you provide us with one of these worldgen maps?

We can reclaim ruined dwarf fortresses built by the computer now? Can you provide a screenshot of the place on embark?

Will there ever be an option to start at Necromancer towers?

Do the necromancer towers form some kind of confederacy or organisation themselves, like The Alliance from Warcraft?.

Is there any point at which the necromancers will say "[REDACTED] it, this tower is getting crowded, lets build a new one"?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:20:38 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8643 on: January 09, 2014, 02:21:07 pm »

Excellent devlog. It looks like the world is being brought into proper form, without much missing anymore. We can finally adventure into dwarf fortresses and goblin towers and elf retreats. I hope road networks between the new sites are sorted out as of the release.

We can reclaim ruined dwarf fortresses built by the computer now? Can you provide a screenshot of the place on embark?

Yes, we can.
Quote from: Toady One, 01/08/2014
Today seemed like a good day to finish reclaiming forts that happened to become ruined in world generation, so that's working in the game now. The fortress designs probably blow out all the metrics experienced players have figured out in terms of efficient placement of workshops and living areas and all that, but I guess you can consider yourself a bringer of a golden age to their stagnant civilization as you remodel. I'm also not trying to do anything fancy with mechanisms or anything like that for this time. I'll be happy if they don't flood the lower levels with their poor decision making. All of the world gen fortresses have access to the open cavern layers, and most of them also have built up underground tunnels off to the deeper sites, though those sites won't interact with your fort in play until around the time we get to fortress hill dwarf interactions.
As for screenshots, we'll have to wait.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8644 on: January 09, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »

Thought as say by the man himself, don't expect the AI made fortress to be completely logical, they will be heavy inclined to be creatures of chaos.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: January 09, 2014, 02:33:36 pm »

Of course, some of the forgotten beasts occupying worldgen fortresses will be comically weak.

Maybe there is some sort of combat test that avoids it in world gen? This leads to the question:

Forgotten Beasts and Megabeasts will always win or can they be defeated or beaten back by the defenders? Their strenght plays a part in these attacks or is it random?

Materials don't matter in world gen combat, although strength does:
Rainseeker:   I have a question from Nill; he or she wants to know more about combat during world generation, how it works; do you just put a bunch of armies in front of each other or do they actually travel and cause trouble for each other?
Toady:   It's pretty weak right now, they have their enemy, you have the civilization, it has its target that it wants to attack and then they pull all of the able bodied people they can from their civilization and lump them into a group and send them at their target which then lumps its people - generally the defenders at the site but they can pull in more people I think if they have that kind of civilization that isn't just site based - and then it ... I'm trying to remember here if it just pairs them off and fights zillions of little duels ... Like when you read the details of a duel between important historical figures, where it just says 'his right arm was wounded and then the other guy ran away', that is what's happening with every single fight, with every single person, you just don't see it. That's why when you go into their legend you can still read the details of how their arms and legs were hacked off, even if they're not the civilization leader and it doesn't show up in the era based list as an important duel. But it's not like the new adventure mode/dwarf mode combat with all of the specific tendons and materials because it would just grind to a halt if you had thousands of people fighting each other every single year in world generation, so right now I think it classifies things as wounds or killing blows and then assesses what a wound might be - what's a feasible would that could have been caused - it matches up a few things like is the thing fire resistant versus does this guy breath fire and that kind of stuff, and gives some plausible wounds to the ... mostly chopping crap off, but occasionally just saying 'this was wounded' or whatever. I don't think I've even added scars yet, that's one of the things that was on the list that I haven't gotten the chance to get to was adding scars to people that were injured in world generation without severs, just giving them cool looking scars when you meet them. So it's pretty simple and there's nothing like ... there's another thing that was written down, doing military tactics and little strategy things to spice it up before we actually get to those when we start doing the improved sieges and sending out armies, but I didn't get a chance to do any of that so it's still just throwing people at each other. There are terrain bonuses, so if you're in a cave and they send an army at you then I think it improves your combat rolls by two or three times, things like that. It's stuff that you'd see in the more traditional strategy game where people get a hundred and fifty percent defensive bonus from a fortified position, that kind of stuff. Once we add in some tactics and things it'll talk about that and you might be able to have a general with really high military skills not at the individual combat level but more up at the strategic and tactical levels being able to defeat a superior force, and it could say what happened even if it's just waving its hands a little bit about pincers and flanking manoeuvres and attacking at night, doing a ruse to lure this group of people away from their position; all that kind of stuff. You can pay lip service to that in world generation and then you can start actually working it in over in the actual gameplay modes. But right now it's very blah blah blah.

The devlog makes clear that, as with the current world gen battles, the defenders can win:
Before the first winter had passed, a demon named Mete Deepterror and a couple dozen goblins and trolls killed almost everybody, but the king managed to hold out with the help of the baron he placed over the fortress, who single-handledly killed more than half of the attackers.

How are civilians reacting to an invading monster that happens to be their object of fervent adoration? I know this happens seldomly with dwarves, given that their usual spheres might be related to a few titans and creatures from deep below, and they'll often kneel before their appearance while those same twisted gods rip their heads and souls apart.

It's treated like any other attack.  They aren't smart enough to have cognitive dissonance yet.

Also, is pilmigrage only considered with marriage and violent displacement in the next release? Or do you plan to enable bare-bones religious or political reasons to show up as well? Now that the personality rewrite is up, I was thinking about scenarios of moving to the town that has the temple of a preferred god or just because a peasant is "sick of it all" and packs up to a place with an agreeable government, and they seem valid and simple (not trying to shoehorn them as suggestions, mind you). Maybe not for this release, but in regard of both questions, it would be awesome to see a lot of ill-advised townspeople flocking to the outskirts of a ruined fortress or town, just because their megabeast of choice is nesting there for the time being.

In addition to marriage, people will travel for succession purposes, i.e. if they are appointed to an office:
01/06/2013 Toady One Entity position succession (and the filling of open positions) is underway. It'll recognize when succession is necessary and try to schedule things effectively, and I set up a claim system so that there can theoretically be more than one person that says that they hold a given civilization's position (three dwarven counts vying for an open monarch position, for example). Competing claims don't have a resolution yet, and I need to work out appointment lists properly. I probably need to further specify some of the positions in the raws as well, since we don't want things like bookkeepers in every hill dwarf site.

01/03/2013 Toady One Children grow up throughout the world now, as you are playing, and new relationships are scheduled properly. There aren't always people available, especially in the smaller sites, so they can look down the trade network at times. Members of a new pair don't move to each other's sites yet, though. I'm going to handle that with entity position succession, which is next, so we should see various travellers on occasion when that is done. I'm looking forward to the world being a bit more of a churning mass of activity, and it'll be nice for fortress mode especially to have proper replacements for all of the people that eventually pass on, so that you can keep up successive games for longer in the same world at the same level of involvement as time goes on.

But that's it -- pilgrimages and other political stuff would be significant changes; we'd have heard about them.

I hope road networks between the new sites are sorted out as of the release. Can you provide us with one of these worldgen maps?

"Sorted out" how?  Are you referring to these bugs?

Will there ever be an option to start at Necromancer towers?

All kinds of starting scenarios are fair game as long as they make some sense in the context of the world.

Do the necromancer towers form some kind of confederacy or organisation themselves, like The Alliance from Warcraft?.

Is there any point at which the necromancers will say "[REDACTED] it, this tower is getting crowded, lets build a new one"?

No, these behaviors are unchanged from the current release.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8646 on: January 09, 2014, 02:53:06 pm »

The next update is basically what would have happened if Tolkien and Lovecraft had written the Silmarillion.

I can't wait to hear the stories that come out of the next update. They're going to be absolute gold.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8647 on: January 09, 2014, 03:04:09 pm »

So I gotta ask: What were the settings for the following world? Seems to me like natural savagery and number of forgotten beasts was set to very high (along with a few other settings) for it to see so much travesty...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: January 09, 2014, 03:05:16 pm »

The devlog makes clear that, as with the current world gen battles, the defenders can win:
Before the first winter had passed, a demon named Mete Deepterror and a couple dozen goblins and trolls killed almost everybody, but the king managed to hold out with the help of the baron he placed over the fortress, who single-handledly killed more than half of the attackers.

No, demons and goblins attacking configure a normal siege, as it already happens, and nowhere he said he uses the same calculations as the megabeast attacks. None of the examples have a megabeast or forgotten beast losing or being beaten back.  Although this used to happen in the previous versions, they did as someone said very little damage and ate some livestock and then got away. Something clearly changed, and my first question stands.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:09:05 pm by thvaz »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: January 09, 2014, 03:25:21 pm »

None of the examples have a megabeast or forgotten beast losing or being beaten back.  Although this used to happen in the previous versions, they did as someone said very little damage and ate some livestock and then got away. Something clearly changed, and my first question stands.

I would chalk this up to coincidence or selective reporting and leave the confirmation for the release, but that's just me.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8650 on: January 09, 2014, 03:37:34 pm »

None of the examples have a megabeast or forgotten beast losing or being beaten back.  Although this used to happen in the previous versions, they did as someone said very little damage and ate some livestock and then got away. Something clearly changed, and my first question stands.

I would chalk this up to coincidence or selective reporting and leave the confirmation for the release, but that's just me.

If the release comes before the end of the month we will know, but we don't have a release date.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: January 09, 2014, 03:43:48 pm »

So I gotta ask: What were the settings for the following world? Seems to me like natural savagery and number of forgotten beasts was set to very high (along with a few other settings) for it to see so much travesty...

There's always a ridiculous number of forgotten beasts.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8652 on: January 09, 2014, 03:43:49 pm »

I don't think there's anything special about the settings. Forgotten beast number depends solely on world size and depth (though mega- and semimegabeast number can be varied), and savagery would mostly apply in this scenario to reduce the number of sites to conquer. I don't have comparison numbers, but 39 dwarf fortress sites sounds like a good number for a 100-year medium world.

It seems pretty clear to me that the beasts do not always succeed - "I went ahead and made the reclaims more interesting by allowing forgotten beasts to be active in world generation and I also let the other large beasts sometimes have very successful attacks ending in a lasting change of residency." Though I guess it can be read differently.

Edit - I can't addition.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:49:29 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8653 on: January 09, 2014, 03:44:30 pm »

I'd be with Footkerchief that this may be selective reporting.  Perhaps by Toady to illustrate the more interesting types of fall out.  Perhaps just that legends mode only had one good line for Toady to read anyway about a FB made of soup vapors being beaten back by a child with a kitchen knife in one strike.

As always, the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: January 09, 2014, 03:46:07 pm »

It seems like coincidence and a low number of defenders, though it's hard to say for sure.
The first fort was severely weakened by a demon they defeated, so it certainly was in no state to fight a dragon.
Third fort: Only the leaders were killed.
Fourth: Mayor dead.
Etc...

I'm guessing some citizens may have abandoned the forts after the leadership was killed. Probably something with the military+leadership defining if the fort can still be kept, though I'm prob missing something/wrong.

Then again, it might just be selective snips or exceptionally powerful megabeasts. Or an unlucky civ/civs.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 748