Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807352 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8220 on: December 08, 2013, 10:47:46 pm »

Putnam: Well, the devlog does talk Toady doing his best to limit the numbers of historical figures, so yes, even if it probably doesn't have any effect on performance, there's still something to be said for intensive exploration that leads to a huge rise in historical figures that leads to much more memory hogging. And the raw number of 3 GB or the data on worldgen isn't really useful here, since we're talking about the stuff the game has to add after we begin playing it.

I think historical figures impact heavily on world generation, but not so much during play. Hence the great increase in time to generate a new world in the last cycle of releases.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8221 on: December 08, 2013, 11:46:44 pm »

Imagine it this way. Every week during world gen, every historical figure has to make a set of decisions about how they are going to live their life. Before DF2012 they had fewer decisions to make, and maybe longer spans of time between when they had to make these decisions. They still have to make these decisions during actual gameplay, but the speed with which you try to move through gameplay differs from the speeds you want during world gen. Even in fortress mode, the overhead from worldwide decisions wouldn't have a massive effect. However when you're trying to move through entire sets of years at a time, it can take quite a few clock cycles to move through the decisions that every active participant in the world has to go through -- even if they choose to do nothing. They have to be presented with their choices regardless.

I don't think world gen is ever going to get back to the speeds we could get through it before, and this might be a necessary evil to have worlds as complex as we're getting. But restricting the number of individuals who each would add more cycles to each year's overhead is a wise move in terms of keeping it from going into a stall.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8222 on: December 09, 2013, 12:01:45 am »

So any knowledge on how much exploration (number of cities) the game can handle, and exactly how many resources will a city eat? With the game set to become even slower as cities are explored, it might be a disincentive to explore many different civilizations in favor of staying in a few cities. And is it going to affect dwarf mode? I'm not dissatisfied with the changes, I'd just like to be aware of the dangers of starting a world for too long, or starting a fort after playing adventure mode. (In case Toady doesn't, would be nice to have some !Science! done on this after release.)
I would imagine that anything that caused the game to slowly lose FPS to be a bug. (DF has quite a few of these already)

Visiting lots of cities shouldn't be a problem, because places visited are regenerated every time they are loaded. The only thing that's saved is the results of the player's actions. The new thing is that there are now people and armies moving about, but that happens regardless of if you visit those places.

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: December 09, 2013, 12:14:20 am »

Not to derail, but I've been wondering this lately... With the deep sites being closer to the HFS, how do the dwarves resist being changed by the ambient magic down there? I mean the stuff that makes the subterranean animal people hostile and creates all of those weird creatures like floating guts and hungry heads. Will they have issues with the stranger underground fauna?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8224 on: December 09, 2013, 12:21:32 am »

Not to derail, but I've been wondering this lately... With the deep sites being closer to the HFS, how do the dwarves resist being changed by the ambient magic down there? I mean the stuff that makes the subterranean animal people hostile and creates all of those weird creatures like floating guts and hungry heads. Will they have issues with the stranger underground fauna?

They go deep, but I don't think they go that deep.

Pretty sure deep sites only go as deep as cavern layer one.

Besides, deep dwarves would already be adapted to subterranean life.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:29:15 am by BlackFlyme »

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: December 09, 2013, 12:24:36 am »

Imagine it this way. Every week during world gen, every historical figure has to make a set of decisions about how they are going to live their life. Before DF2012 they had fewer decisions to make, and maybe longer spans of time between when they had to make these decisions. They still have to make these decisions during actual gameplay, but the speed with which you try to move through gameplay differs from the speeds you want during world gen. Even in fortress mode, the overhead from worldwide decisions wouldn't have a massive effect. However when you're trying to move through entire sets of years at a time, it can take quite a few clock cycles to move through the decisions that every active participant in the world has to go through -- even if they choose to do nothing. They have to be presented with their choices regardless.
Sure, which explains why the already-mentioned guards aren't added as historical figures during the world generation. However, if we talk about "keep them non-historical for longer" after the world generation ends, it doesn't really address the issue. And since last I checked the world generation stopped after the game began, it isn't really relevant. Once again, I'm not saying it would have an effect on active memory, or even passive one, but I'd like to know if it does, or else there isn't any real reason to try to limit the numbers of historical figures after the world generation ends.

Visiting lots of cities shouldn't be a problem, because places visited are regenerated every time they are loaded. The only thing that's saved is the results of the player's actions. The new thing is that there are now people and armies moving about, but that happens regardless of if you visit those places.
Well, there is still the part that it has to devote at least a little of memory once you visit a city to be able to regenerate it properly. I forget how exactly Toady said it works, but there's that. And the entire elevating of random people to historical figures that happens once you visit a city, is something that has been explicitly stated in the devlog. There's quite a lot of stuff now that is elevated from abstract to specific as you play.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8226 on: December 09, 2013, 12:46:18 am »

Who says they will?
Quote from: Dwarf Fortress Talk 20
Capntastic:  So the deep down dwarves, when they come up, maybe they should just be very very allergic to the sun?
Toady:        Well they will be cave adapted.
Rainseeker: Exactly.
Capntastic:  But extremely cave adapted, have another tier.
Toady:        Maybe blind, they'll just lose their eyes.
Capntastic:  They'll be blind and they'll be completely white, you know, like those cave fish.
Toady:        Beardless, beardless, no, they'll have flesh that replaces the beard or something like these tendrils that come out..
Capntastic:  Fleshy beards?
Toady:        Translucent fleshy beards that generate light, but they don't have eyes, so it doesn't mean anything. And yeah, they have alcohol detectors in their stomachs and so on, they waddle around and roll in the mud. And yeah, so that's about like a dwarf. That's what we expect from a dwarf.
Rainseeker: Ya, that's pretty good.
Toady:        A Cthulu-esque mob that comes out of the deep.
Capntastic:  But they're friendly and they talk with a Scottish accent.
Toady:        That's right. Scottish deep spawn. It's interesting being in this position, because now we've got all kinds of choices. I'm not sure those are the choices we're going to make, but got all kinds of choices, so it should be cool.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:18:11 am by King Mir »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8227 on: December 09, 2013, 04:00:23 am »

Sure, which explains why the already-mentioned guards aren't added as historical figures during the world generation. However, if we talk about "keep them non-historical for longer" after the world generation ends, it doesn't really address the issue. And since last I checked the world generation stopped after the game began, it isn't really relevant. Once again, I'm not saying it would have an effect on active memory, or even passive one, but I'd like to know if it does, or else there isn't any real reason to try to limit the numbers of historical figures after the world generation ends.
It might be that an often requested feature is the ability to restart world gen conditions after stopping it, and Toady realizes that this is something he will never be able to do if he doesn't try to keep historical figures down in the framework before attempting this down the road? Somewhat like the letting the genie out of the bottle conundrum.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8228 on: December 09, 2013, 10:32:04 am »

It might be that an often requested feature is the ability to restart world gen conditions after stopping it, and Toady realizes that this is something he will never be able to do if he doesn't try to keep historical figures down in the framework before attempting this down the road? Somewhat like the letting the genie out of the bottle conundrum.
Toady has said before (Cue Footkerchief with quotes) that restarting world gen is already impossible because of genie bottle issues. He might add the ability to do time skips, but they won't be at the speed of worldgen.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8229 on: December 09, 2013, 01:02:54 pm »

However, would it still be possible for historical figures to emerge from the guard through enough notable kills, turning into a vampire/werewolf, or a change in leadership?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8230 on: December 09, 2013, 01:14:59 pm »

Do you plan to include alloys in the game? If so, how might it be handled?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:31:13 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #8231 on: December 09, 2013, 01:28:45 pm »

Do you plan to include alloys in the game? If so, how might it be handled?
...This question puzzles me.  Do you mean alloys in some figurative sense?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8232 on: December 09, 2013, 01:31:30 pm »

Right. Brain fart. Carry on.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8233 on: December 09, 2013, 01:43:31 pm »

I think is just a post traumatic shock or withdrawal if you like, caused by the lack of release of a new version of DF.

I like to believe that after this one, the most significant release of DF, where you actually have a living world now to toy with, things will be metaphorically "downhill" for Toady One, development wise. Emphasis on metaphorically and "downhill", as I meant that this living, active world was a needed for a lot of things to be organic and logical, and others to exist at all.

No, I don't think that the programing will be easier or that the speed of development will be increased from now on, actually I think it will even harder and slower to develop or at least the same phase Toady has keep all this years.

What I mean with this is that the child will be birth, the bird will be hatched and it will finally take it's first breath of air, filling it's lungs full with life, and now all it takes for it is to keep growing and become a whole animal.

Or at least that's how I see it. Carry on.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:06:49 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8234 on: December 09, 2013, 01:57:47 pm »

When you mention village relationships, does that apply only to human villages or is it all civilized and populated sites? And if so, do all the villages act independently, or is there now a concept of nations/civs in their interactions with each other? Do the village warlords have any relationship with their lieges?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 748