Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805867 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7950 on: November 07, 2013, 12:50:25 am »

Well then, I have an extension for it:

Toady, can we punch our companions in the face without them drawing a blade on us? Just what will they do when we punch them in the face?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:53:02 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: November 07, 2013, 12:50:49 am »

Yes, it does seem more asking about is it safer to train companions as a result of the new systems, than it does seem to be about if the additions could lead to an overhaul of another system.

Er, that seemed clearer in my head.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: November 07, 2013, 02:28:31 am »

Quote from: devlog
.... It's cool that things like that are happening during play now, though of course the really juicy stuff relating to relatives and so on hasn't been done yet.

"Cool" is an understatement.  Making this kind of meaningful interaction occur in gameplay has always been the big promise of DF's ground-up approach.  It's really exciting to see it beginning to happen.

This is a great little story, but I'm unclear what Toady means when he talks about relatives.  Can anyone tell me what he has in mind here?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: November 07, 2013, 02:46:50 am »

Quote from: devlog
.... It's cool that things like that are happening during play now, though of course the really juicy stuff relating to relatives and so on hasn't been done yet.

"Cool" is an understatement.  Making this kind of meaningful interaction occur in gameplay has always been the big promise of DF's ground-up approach.  It's really exciting to see it beginning to happen.

This is a great little story, but I'm unclear what Toady means when he talks about relatives.  Can anyone tell me what he has in mind here?

I think he might be talking about inheritance, though it's certainly more than just inheritance, I'm not exactly sure what things other than inheritance (which is in the next version I believe) he is talking about though.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: November 07, 2013, 08:27:42 am »

I think he might be talking about inheritance, though it's certainly more than just inheritance, I'm not exactly sure what things other than inheritance (which is in the next version I believe) he is talking about though.

My bet is on 'I am the son of the deposed king, help me get my throne back.' type of stuff.

Also to all the pessimists out there, who think the release will be in December, keep in mind that Toady has a beard now, so the development cycle will be much faster.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: November 07, 2013, 11:47:22 am »

Considering just before he says that we got:

I also cleaned up how they set up the new government -- during the first test, a kidnapped child that grew up to be a scout for the goblins was the one they selected to be the ruler of the town under occupation.

So I believe he was talking about how the relatives of said kidnapped child will react to this and how the child would react to them.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: November 09, 2013, 08:20:24 am »

With the implementation of nonlethal combat, I was wondering... let's say some pissed off bandits set out to track and kill you and your companions, but their leader is taking it personally and wants to take you out himself. Do you think it's feasible, code-wise, to implement a way for the game to reproduce this scenario?

Duels already happen in world gen during battles, so it's reasonable to assume they will happen in gameplay eventually.

I'm not really talking about duels. But here let me picture the scenario in more detail. A bunch of bandits slaughter your companions, knock you out or restrain you in some way and their leader comes in and slits your throat. Or maybe they actually wound you gravely but leave the final blow to their leader. And in this case maybe one of them actually winds up killing you and the leader beats him up for disobeying. There are many fun possibilities, and it'd be great to read about incidents like this happening to other characters and in other circumstances that don't involve bandits, or even being able to do it yourself. I just wanted to know if Toady had considered this and how do-able it is in terms of concept and coding.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: November 09, 2013, 11:52:00 am »

I'm not really talking about duels. But here let me picture the scenario in more detail. A bunch of bandits slaughter your companions, knock you out or restrain you in some way and their leader comes in and slits your throat. Or maybe they actually wound you gravely but leave the final blow to their leader. And in this case maybe one of them actually winds up killing you and the leader beats him up for disobeying. There are many fun possibilities, and it'd be great to read about incidents like this happening to other characters and in other circumstances that don't involve bandits, or even being able to do it yourself. I just wanted to know if Toady had considered this and how do-able it is in terms of concept and coding.

Seems to be getting into suggestion territory.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: November 09, 2013, 03:31:34 pm »

I have a strong feeling that we're in for release 3-4 weeks from now on. (assuming that Toady gets the notes done next week)
At least I hope that this happens. This release has been (rightfully) delayed more than Half-Life 2: Episode 3 (or Half-Life 3, as the case may be).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: November 09, 2013, 03:39:05 pm »

I have a strong feeling that we're in for release 3-4 weeks from now on. (assuming that Toady gets the notes done next week)
At least I hope that this happens. This release has been (rightfully) delayed more than Half-Life 2: Episode 3 (or Half-Life 3, as the case may be).

Half-Life 2 Episode 3 was set to come in 2008.

I wouldn't say so :P

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: November 09, 2013, 04:28:47 pm »

Still though, my hype is (relatively) high. :)
Then again, pretty much everyone else's is, so that's not a surprise in the least.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: November 09, 2013, 04:35:10 pm »

Threetoes hasnt told us that the release is "around the corner" yet. So january-february is optimistic isnt it?
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: November 09, 2013, 07:16:27 pm »

Threetoes hasnt told us that the release is "around the corner" yet. So january-february is optimistic isnt it?
Toady has said that he hopes for the release to be finished by the end of the year. Also, earlier he has said that he is on track to finish adding features this month.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: November 09, 2013, 07:16:51 pm »

what features planned in DF2013 development log still hasn't been added yet?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: November 09, 2013, 08:27:58 pm »

11/09/2013  The list is being continued along with. I ran through some kidnap rescues and added various conversation bits to allow you to know where to go to reunite them with their relatives and so on, and set up the companion agreement for that case, so they know why they are with you and when they should leave. I also made world animal populations restore themselves slowly (including the local populations in fort mode), handled non-historical population management for sites, respected the world pop cap for historical figure conceptions, and fixed an indexing error that has apparently been around for years involving families not being placed together in buildings (I noticed when I returned a child to a town and the parents were living in different houses).

PRAISE THE LORD! Extinction problems should be lessened. Does this also mean we will be able to fish in the caverns?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 748