Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809014 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7455 on: September 09, 2013, 07:31:36 pm »

From Bay 12 Games twitter: "Footsteps and fighting are audible now, and there's workshop noise. Giant toppled tree? Not a sound yet..."

This is backwards from what the wiki says. I wonder what that means about tree cutting sounds? Did toady accidentally delete the feature?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: September 09, 2013, 07:34:07 pm »

He did kind of do a complete overhaul of trees and the chopping thereof.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: September 09, 2013, 07:40:05 pm »

Might as well ask.

Is there any plans with the old tree code? Perhaps create bushes and larger bamboo, for instance? Would the woodier of bushes and bamboo be able to be harvested for things like charcoal (and in bamboo's case, construction)?
In an early reply, Toady said that you can't have single tile trees any more. Only saplings, and taller trees.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7458 on: September 10, 2013, 04:43:49 am »

Also did it make a Sound?

I assure you, it will.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: September 10, 2013, 07:44:47 am »

Might as well ask.

Is there any plans with the old tree code? Perhaps create bushes and larger bamboo, for instance? Would the woodier of bushes and bamboo be able to be harvested for things like charcoal (and in bamboo's case, construction)?
In an early reply, Toady said that you can't have single tile trees any more. Only saplings, and taller trees.

From a screenshot though, it looked like we will still have trees that are a single tile horizontially, or at least the trunk would be.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: September 10, 2013, 08:01:20 am »

Pines perhaps? Coniferous trees could still have a single tile trunk.
Oh great Toady One, maker of reality and God of the eternal code, I humbly ask: How many logs will be produced by the average tree? By what I can understand from your log, the trees will create logs after being chopped down. But how? Does it falls down into logs ready for the taking or does it requires an extra work once is on the floor to be chopped in logs? And how many logs per tile would it give a tree? Does depends on the type of tree or something else?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: September 10, 2013, 08:05:48 am »

Oh great Toady One, maker of reality and God of the eternal code, I humbly ask: How many logs will be produced by the average tree? By what I can understand from your log, the trees will create logs after being chopped down. But how? Does it falls down into logs ready for the taking or does it requires an extra work once is on the floor to be chopped in logs? And how many logs per tile would it give a tree? Does depends on the type of tree or something else?

One ready-to-use log per trunk tile.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: September 10, 2013, 08:13:51 am »

[One] log per trunk tile right now. It increases wood greatly at first, but trees grow more slowly, have to see how it plays out

Earlier he mentioned that enemies can be smacked by flying logs and that it uses projectile damage, so I guess it's safe to say that trees collapse into logs with no extra work required.

Edit: semi-ninja'd. Oh well.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: September 10, 2013, 08:16:38 am »

The smaller ones anyway and I suppose other smaller trees or narrow trees like say, birch could have a single tile trunk.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: September 10, 2013, 09:10:21 am »

Since when does Toady (I'm assuming that's Toady, anyway) use the twitter for DF updates?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: September 10, 2013, 09:40:40 am »

Since the last dev updated. He didn't mention the specifics but apparently somehow he ended up having to open a twitter account for Bay 12 "As a result of meeting a zillion independent developers over the last weekend", and while at it, might as well use it for more express communication with us.

However I'm afraid that twitter might just take much of his time. I know people getting addicted to it.

Anyway, the account for now will be used by both brothers as it's still undecided how they plan to use it officially on the long run: "Zach and I are both on there, at random, and we're not really sure how it'll be used."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:43:17 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: September 10, 2013, 09:43:59 am »

Since the last dev updated. He didn't mention the specifics but apparently somehow he ended up having to open a twitter account for Bay 12 "As a result of meeting a zillion independent developers over the last weekend", and while at it, might as well use it for more express communication with us.

However I'm afraid that twitter might just take much of his time. I know people getting addicted to it.

Anyway, the account for now will be used by both brothers as it's still undecided how they plan to use it officially on the long run: "Zach and I are both on there, at random, and we're not really sure how it'll be used."

I kind of like how they answer the questions in this thread and not everybody looks at twitter.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: September 10, 2013, 12:58:49 pm »

I kind of like how they answer the questions in this thread and not everybody looks at twitter.

They should link the twitter somewhere where it's visible so that I don't need to look through this thread or my bookmarks to get to it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: September 10, 2013, 01:00:56 pm »

I like this thread better too. It's more cozy and organized. However twitter can be useful in order to spread our ways, the true ways, the ways of the Toad onto the unbelievers.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:29:45 pm by LordBaal »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: September 10, 2013, 03:02:14 pm »

They should link the twitter somewhere where it's visible so that I don't need to look through this thread or my bookmarks to get to it.

It's linked right above the devlog at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ ;)
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 748