Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808980 times)

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7485 on: September 14, 2013, 11:08:51 am »

The devlog entry about the personality changes were a nice surprise. The dwarves already were unique, special snowflakes, but now they'll be even more so :D Nice to see even more diversity between them and other cultures as well.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7486 on: September 14, 2013, 11:41:07 am »

Of course as one of the crazy people who rarely playes dwarves I need to ask this.

You mentioned Dwarven society highly values craftmanship.  How moddible is what different civs value?  Could I say for example make a fortress race that highly values combat proficiency over crafting skill?  Or perhaps number of kills?  Or even crazy societies that value high amounts of pets, owned items, number of children, or extremely high or low bodyweights?

Urist McTwig was proud to weigh under 50 pounds today.  She was happy to add another ☼Ceramic Troll Figurine☼ to her collection.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: September 14, 2013, 12:59:16 pm »

These new personality traits, do they already actually do something, or they are just for show (for now)? Can you have dwarf with different ethics than general ethics of his civilisation? (like dwarf butcher happily converting goblins to food... of course, only dwarves with same ethics would eat it at all)
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: September 14, 2013, 01:05:31 pm »

These new personality traits, do they already actually do something, or they are just for show (for now)? Can you have dwarf with different ethics than general ethics of his civilisation? (like dwarf butcher happily converting goblins to food... of course, only dwarves with same ethics would eat it at all)
The devlog implies that they are used somewhat, but can certainly be expanded, and will be used in some way before the release:
Quote from: Toady One
As usual, the system isn't used everywhere it could be, since it is a large project, but I'm finding myself much more enthusiastic about the new personality facets and values vs. the old system which was a bit wishy-washy, and this first release will use them at least as much as before, with some new stuff.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: September 14, 2013, 01:35:09 pm »

Quote from: Putnam
@Bay12Games Any raw changes *other* than attacks and trees, so far? Also, will attacks have to be updated, or are there default values?
Expand
Quote from: Bay 12 Games
@Putnam3145 Yeah, defaults.  Others...  gaits, tracking, new personality traits...  Could ask again on FotF for better accounting now.

Then I'd better.

Any raw changes *other* than attacks and trees so far, especially ones that must be accounted for when updating mods?

I'm especially concerned about personality traits ._.

"Concern" seems like a strange reaction to new features.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7490 on: September 14, 2013, 01:42:28 pm »

I made that post right before the devlog :P It turned from concern to abject elatedness.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: September 14, 2013, 02:45:04 pm »

The mention of philosophies and religions in the future stemming from cultural values made me think of the philosopher noble from 2-D. Will the philosopher ever be returning to Dwarf Fortress?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: September 14, 2013, 02:49:03 pm »

The mention of philosophies and religions in the future stemming from cultural values made me think of the philosopher noble from 2-D. Will the philosopher ever be returning to Dwarf Fortress?

Quote from: devlog
The value system (combined with the old ethics) also makes it pretty clear to me now that philosophies/religions are going to be able to be generated and impact play immediately once that rolls around (not for this release).

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: September 14, 2013, 02:50:52 pm »

That doesn't really answer my question.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: September 14, 2013, 02:53:27 pm »

The last thing we heard about philosophers is this quote, I believe.
Quote from: Objective
Do you plan to add the philosopher back later with more usefulness? Or are they scrapped?
The philosopher as a single dwarf called "the philosopher" is likely out.  Adding dwarves with a philosophical bent that get into arguments and get followers and sway segments of the population toward one way of thinking or another are something we'd like to do.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: September 14, 2013, 07:07:34 pm »

I made that post right before the devlog :P It turned from concern to abject elatedness.

Oh, that makes more sense now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: September 14, 2013, 08:23:22 pm »

Toady, if you had to guess when the next update would come out, what would you guess?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: September 14, 2013, 08:36:12 pm »

Quote from: Bay12 September '13 Report
Looking over things, I think the realistic and hopefully somewhat conservative estimate (for a change) is that I'll be through the list in mid-November, and then I'll just have to deal with the bad-to-really-bad stuff that Zach and I find in the meantime.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7498 on: September 14, 2013, 08:53:06 pm »

On the other hand, the paragraph writeups do criticize dwarves a bit harshly at times (since it highlights the extremes and doesn't mention the average personality facets at all), and they can be fundamentally worse people than before. The presentation can be a little overblown, since some good/useful things about dwarves (like high skills) do not appear on the personality page, so it might be good to give them a chance before you rush to the drawbridge or magma lever.

Reads the new devlog. *Puts on his religious hat*

Seems that the players, as all gods, will now have to learn the values of mercy and forgiveness. For every person deserves a magma bath if they are looked at without mercy, when one can fully see all their deeds.

*Takes off his religious hat.*

Well, seems like the game is complicated enough to unintentionally be entering into social commentary. (Not that it wasn't before.) This is going to be fun.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: September 14, 2013, 10:03:14 pm »

Oh, I doubt it. Dwarves are still plenty expendable if you're careful. However, since we are running a simulation of true communism, the introduction of original sin could pose new and interesting problems- probably not now, but later on, once Toady has done a few more releases.

What would be a major game-changer is dwarves going batshit if they're kept from fulfilling a life dream. And new forms of batshittery, too- dwarven mass murderers who decide, one day, to steal a crossbow from the fort armory and start shooting at random in the meeting hall; dwarves who get a revelation from God and turn your fort into Jonestown; dwarves who try to start revolutions, or refuse to participate in fortress life.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:05:41 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 748