Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808923 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7425 on: September 06, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »

Doesn't January mean something about something called jupernalia or something like that? Or I have my brain fried by the heat again. Also getting a flu.

Today, will we ever see an artifact for time measure, like the goblets, toys and music instruments we have now? Will different civs carry different calendars with different lengths of the year? Or will it remain as something more abstracted, under the control of no one.

Also, now that towns are fleshing out, do you plan on anything like annual or season fairs or something to occur? Or I am too much ahead of time?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:53:53 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: September 06, 2013, 02:53:49 pm »

That digression aside... Toady, you mention bug fixes and job priorities in discussion of future focus. When job priorities are revamped, will we have any level of control over changing those priorities, or will the priorities only be improved in weight and/or in the algorithms used? At risk of being suggestiony, I think right now simply letting us change the priority system's weights so things like cleaning don't have to always be apparently lower priority than idling would be sufficient to alleviate most of the complaints I've heard about the current priority system.

Yes, that's the plan.

Req86, JOB PRIORITIZING, (Future): Right now, there is a fixed order in which units decide to do the different types of jobs. This could be changed for a given unit (or for the whole fortress).

What about just making a RAW file with every job in it and the order they appear in the file determines  their priority?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: September 06, 2013, 03:56:23 pm »

What about just making a RAW file with every job in it and the order they appear in the file determines  their priority?
That wouldn't allow priority changes on the fly, like if you really need that one lever pulled.

Also, now that towns are fleshing out, do you plan on anything like annual or season fairs or something to occur? Or I am too much ahead of time?
We'll get there eventually. Fairs are specifically mentioned on the dev page under World Economy, and Toady also talks about them a bit in DF Talk 11.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: September 06, 2013, 08:08:50 pm »

Changing the last-in, first-out tendencies of jobs might help some.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: September 06, 2013, 08:39:44 pm »

Wait, do jobs use a queue or a stack?

With the new job priorities, will that mean you can give *orders* in adventure mode to your allies?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: September 06, 2013, 08:45:42 pm »

Currently, jobs use a stack. Which, as far as dumb systems go, is probably the best one for jobs, since it means jobs you frantically designate in an emergency situation are done first.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7431 on: September 07, 2013, 02:26:20 pm »

Currently, jobs use a stack. Which, as far as dumb systems go, is probably the best one for jobs, since it means jobs you frantically designate in an emergency situation are done first.

Usually.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: September 07, 2013, 02:31:31 pm »

If you make an "emergency lever pull" burrow and put an idle dorf in it during an emergency, it should be done post-haste.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: September 07, 2013, 04:43:37 pm »

No wonder population growth was so slow back then- nine months would have been much more time with fewer months in the year!
From what that wiki article mentioned, it seems they had days that weren't part of any month but were still there, so it seems they weren't that much longer.

Doesn't January mean something about something called jupernalia or something like that? Or I have my brain fried by the heat again. Also getting a flu.

January (Januarius) supposedly is named after Janus. I suppose it makes sense that a god of "beginnings and transitions" would have the month that starts off a new year attributed to him.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: September 07, 2013, 05:15:43 pm »

March started the new year.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: September 08, 2013, 01:11:33 am »

Ninth before January and February were added, yeah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_calendar , if it's of any real interest - although it didn't have anything to do with the roman emperors for whom July and August are named, which is what I assumed. I knew two were added, just not which two. Ah well, I suppose that'll just serve as a reminder to actually check things before saying them, from time to time  :)

Huh. Could've sworn it was July and August that were the new ones.

Also, on the subject of optimization: “Premature optimization is the root of all evil.” — Donald Knuth (ie. working code first, optimization later)

[snip]...and proving their assembler-based library is several times faster, but I don't really know how they get that good at that sort of programming

It's not too difficult once you start. The worst part is how much more verbose you have to be about the simplest things, and that's not too bad. (Admittedly I've only ever worked with "small" assembly languages, such as 6502 and whatever chip's in my Arduino Uno. I'm not quite desperate enough yet to get into x86_64 :P)

Think of it like embarking in an evil biome instead of a more sane one: death is swifter and more horrendous, but the essentials of fortressing remain. Death is a program crashing and fortressing is programming. Writing assembler in as few instructions or clock cycles as possible is subjecting yourself to some great self-imposed challenge while in a terrifying biome. And in either situation, having a working fortress or program is way more rewarding when it's done in a terrifying biome during a bare-bones challenge than when you've done it in the most benign of biomes having started the journey well-stocked.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: September 08, 2013, 11:21:58 am »

Toady on Twitter:
I have seen large trees fall.

:o I hope that fall was recorded! Also did it make a Sound?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: September 08, 2013, 11:26:18 am »

Toady has a twitter?
:O

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7438 on: September 08, 2013, 11:29:40 am »

Check the main page. It's the link that says @Bay12Games.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: September 08, 2013, 11:48:13 am »

Okay, so here's my question:

Regarding the new moving army feature, how does the large-scale pathfinding will work? Will the game consider the local terrain features too, or it will just ignore all obstacles (and distances) like merchants do in the current version?
I would like to know will it be possible to build 'The Great Dwarven Wall' with connecting walls between adjacent sites, and locking the fun outside the dwarven territory.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry if I asked a previously answered question.
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 748