Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807304 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6030 on: April 13, 2013, 04:46:50 am »

Foot, I think your sentient search engine gave you the wrong bug.  That one seems to be about throwing creatures.  The question was about killing people by throwing a spear through their chest.

Oh yeah, the other throwing, the one that is actually overpowered.  That needs the ranged combat overhaul, which probably won't happen for a while.

Although I haven't yet killed a zombie elephant with water, I killed an archer by throwing ice at his head (jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain etc.).
That was one hell of a shot.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: April 13, 2013, 04:58:09 am »

You could kill someone with a hunk of ice and a good throwing arm. In fact, you could kill someone with a baseball. Easily. Just as long as they weren't wearing a helmet.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: April 13, 2013, 09:37:35 am »

You could kill someone with a hunk of ice and a good throwing arm. In fact, you could kill someone with a baseball. Easily. Just as long as they weren't wearing a helmet.

the problem however isnt that its possible to kill someone by throwing things. the problem is the way you kill people when you throw things at them. in df, you can break someones legs by throwing pebbles and when you hit someones head the cause of death is not trauma from the brain hitting the skull or something like that, but the skull being jammed through the brain, as usual. but im pretty sure things like that will be addressed at some point, i dont think there is a need to ask for that.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: April 13, 2013, 10:39:30 am »

If the combat state is at the brawl level, will an NPC surrender to another NPC if the player just stands back and doesn't get involved?

Can the player be not involved in a ongoing fight/brawl in a town that they visit, or is one side likely to view the player as an enemy?

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: April 13, 2013, 11:10:59 am »

I'm fine with thrown rocks being potentially lethal to a humanoid. There's a reason stoning was (and in some nasty places, still is) a method of execution. Thrown pebbles, not so much, unless you're adding a sling, slingshot, or other such force multiplier to the equation.

I suppose it makes some sense if there's no air resistance in the calculation as people have said. Light objects would lose more inertia to air resistance, so without it a pebble would be more like a bullet. Tumbling comes to mind as another aspect, thinking about the bullet comparison. Modern firearms use rifling to spin the bullet and gyroscopically stabilize it. Fletching does the same for arrows and bolts. Without that sort of stability, accuracy would probably be the factor to suffer the most with light throwing ammo.

As for the skull being jammed through the brain, I tend to envision that as a fractured skull fragment being forced into the brain, but that's my human rationalization. To the code and the raws, they're probably just interchangeable layers.

One thing I think should get added sooner or later: Helmets with visors and other face guards. Though I wonder if that might make things a little too easy for dwarves in full candy armor. Still, there are ways to kill dwarves without involving armor.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: April 13, 2013, 11:36:20 am »

Although, are those stones you pick up in Adventure mode really pebbles? Aren't they literally called "stones"? Are there pebbles anywhere in the game right now?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: April 13, 2013, 01:10:10 pm »

-snip-
I'm fine with thrown rocks being potentially lethal to a humanoid. There's a reason stoning was (and in some nasty places, still is) a method of execution. Thrown pebbles, not so much, unless you're adding a sling, slingshot, or other such force multiplier to the equation.
-snip-
hm, it might be true that they arent pebbles, but i still think they are far smaller than a brick. judging from the distance you can throw them they fit comfortably in a hand.
_my_ legs dont snap like twigs if you throw something like that at me, im pretty sure about that.

-snip-
As for the skull being jammed through the brain, I tend to envision that as a fractured skull fragment being forced into the brain, but that's my human rationalization. To the code and the raws, they're probably just interchangeable layers.
-snip-
the way you envision it is probably how it is intended, however, that is not how you die if you get hit by a baseball or a small rock.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: April 13, 2013, 03:09:22 pm »

Do you think in development games like starbound (by the people of terraria) represent any hoped for random plants generated in future releases visually? each forest is random on the planet

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: April 13, 2013, 03:42:19 pm »

-snip-
-snip-
hm, it might be true that they arent pebbles, but i still think they are far smaller than a brick. judging from the distance you can throw them they fit comfortably in a hand.
_my_ legs dont snap like twigs if you throw something like that at me, im pretty sure about that.

-snip-
-snip-
the way you envision it is probably how it is intended, however, that is not how you die if you get hit by a baseball or a small rock.

While thrown objects probably need a better max speed calculation, slings were used as deadly weapons for thousands of years.  Sling bullets are about as big as a child's fist and mass between 50 and 500 grams.  Slings have ranges up to about 400m, or about 1/4 mile.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: April 13, 2013, 04:07:06 pm »

Or in other words, current throwing mechanics assume everyone has a base-quality pigtail sling with them. To make it more "accurate", throwing needs to be nerfed, but slings be implemented and made even more OP with the addition of quality modifiers.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: April 13, 2013, 04:15:12 pm »

Do you think in development games like starbound (by the people of terraria) represent any hoped for random plants generated in future releases visually? each forest is random on the planet
Randomly generated plants are planned, but Starbound wasn't an inspiration.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: April 13, 2013, 06:26:52 pm »

I know, I just meant is it going to be that amount of random generation. I am not good at these questions X3

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: April 13, 2013, 07:20:47 pm »

I know, I just meant is it going to be that amount of random generation. I am not good at these questions X3

Ah! Well, we know that trees are going to be quite varied.

Quote from: Auning
How moddable will the following be: tree shape, size, quantity of fruit bearing
Will all trees have different defined varieties of leaves/petals/etc? For example, pine trees will have pine needles, oak trees will have oak leaves, palm trees will have palm fronds.
Will the varieties of tree produce have different specific uses? IE sap from a maple tree could be made into a syrup, while syrups made from saps taken from other trees would be inedible.
With the implementation of the other new sites, will this in turn allow for more variety with human sites, since the code has been expanded upon?
Will trees legitimately spread through methods such as seeds in fruit, or will they still just spawn?

As for the first few lines, yeah, all pretty good there.  Haven't done anything with sap.  I haven't expanded human sites, but yeah, the potential increases as I add non-human sites, but not really modding wise for this time.  I haven't gone down into actual seeding yet.
Quote from: Devlog 09/28/2012
Moving on to defining various things that grow from the plants -- flowers, fruit, and leaves, mainly, but the raws should be fairly generic here. There are just "growths" from the plants, with various timing, development and item type variables, and if you're modding you should be able to call them whatever you like or have a tree that grows bronze swords or whatever. We should have apples or some kind of edible fruit soon... we have choices for fruit trees to add now I suppose.

Since plant shapes and the growths themselves are going to be moddable, there will be many possibilities for random plants.
Neither Starbound nor the new DF version are released yet, but I'm fairly sure that with the potential for bronze sword trees, random generation in DF will be at least on par with Starbound.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: April 13, 2013, 07:37:17 pm »

Hasn't it already been established that the lack of resistance a skull provides is because the curvature of objects is not considered? In other words, skulls are more brittle because the geometric force deflection of objects isn't considered in DF?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: April 13, 2013, 08:11:29 pm »

Hasn't it already been established that the lack of resistance a skull provides is because the curvature of objects is not considered? In other words, skulls are more brittle because the geometric force deflection of objects isn't considered in DF?

One of the largest issues with Dwarf Fortress is that for a lot of things... How is Toady doing to know?

He could add something that would imitate that aspect of the skull (a sort of structural integrity stat) but for everything else what is he going to put down?
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 748