Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807286 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6015 on: April 11, 2013, 01:44:33 am »

If they've got a head pointed every which way at all times, sure. Sounds a bit tiring unless they've got necks going weird ways so backwards is actually resting position. Maybe field of vision can vary depending on how alert a creature is and thus how much it's looking around?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: April 11, 2013, 09:32:41 am »

7 heads, but...one heart.

Go for the heart, Boo, go for the heart!
Is it bad that I just imagined a miniature giant space hamster leaping towards a gnoll and burrowing into it's chest?

I always imagined hydra heads in almost a perpetual state of discomfort, only two or 3 ever managing to stay in a comfortable positions and all the other heads fighting to try to push them out of the way so they can be comfy instead.   Poor hydra heads... :(
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: April 11, 2013, 11:16:22 am »

Edit: Wait a second, If there is a brain in each hydra head, which one controls the body?

All of them, as can be verified in the arena.

Will we ever be able to come upon beasts asleep in their lairs? Or will they always be awake and alert for balance reasons?

Beasts don't sleep in their lairs because they don't do anything in their lairs.  There are many dev items about fleshing out their existence:

Adventurer Role: Slayer of Night Creatures

Night creatures and the undead
        Replace skeletons and zombies with generalized generated types of creature corruption/undeath etc.
        Causes -- existing from the beginning, death circumstances, being cursed, focusing on specific historical figures at first
        Goals, if any, as individuals, even if it is murdering or mutilating wayfarers in the woods
        Weaknesses, restrictions on movement, other limitations
        Nicknames for them that are used by the villagers
    Torment the living
        Night creatures must act out their goals during play
            Villagers should react using the same systems as with villains or player thieves, so that you can overhear conversations or use bounty-type systems
        Some victims can end up drained as subvillains or slaves in the same way a bandit leader has subordinates
        Stranger/thief tracking systems could be used to generate some paranoia surrounding night creatures with a human/etc. appearance or that utilize human/etc. slaves
        Diseases/plagues could be included as indirect torments, as well as famine once site resources can be assailed
    Hunting them down
        Sometimes they are trackable through methods above, sometimes there are special signs
        Killing them might ultimately require burying or burning a body, etc.
        Religious or other groups might be able to tell you how to defeat or protect yourself from a night creature and support you with supplies if you can provide reports of its activity/victims etc.
    Curses and exposure
        Can be cursed by night creatures when you put them down
        The slaves of night creatures could have extreme effects from proximity that also affect you if you make a business of hunting them
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:20:05 am by Footkerchief »

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: April 11, 2013, 11:37:06 am »

Heh. Silly thought, since a lot of adventure players like to turn themselves into necromancer vampire werellamas: What if NPCs could accuse you of being a night creature? I doubt Toady has that sort of thing in mind for the next update, though, just the regular methods of getting caught. I do recall a thread or two where retired night creature adventurers were called out by their predecessors.

I am getting curious about that line about night creatures cursing you when you put them down. I might have forgotten if it's been covered, but what kind of curses will they be able to put on you?
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: April 11, 2013, 01:24:39 pm »

I am getting curious about that line about night creatures cursing you when you put them down. I might have forgotten if it's been covered, but what kind of curses will they be able to put on you?

The game already has a general curse ("interaction") system that includes were-curses, vampirism, husk-ifying, and the mummies' bad-luck curse.  Those would all be fair game for night creatures.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:28:44 pm by Footkerchief »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: April 11, 2013, 01:34:30 pm »

Heh. Silly thought, since a lot of adventure players like to turn themselves into necromancer vampire werellamas: What if NPCs could accuse you of being a night creature? I doubt Toady has that sort of thing in mind for the next update, though, just the regular methods of getting caught. I do recall a thread or two where retired night creature adventurers were called out by their predecessors.

Toady talked about curses in relation to mummies (who already have the "bad luck" curse they put on tomb robbers) - the ideas should work out the same for curses other night creature put on you (in addition to the stuff that already exists, as Footkerchief points out). From DF Talks:
There are different styles of curses, they can just go hardcore and give you some disease or turn you ... or just kill you or whatever; that would be kind of boring though. So other things they could do is ... either just kind of by giving you some kind of bad vibe, or by making you completely hideous or half-rotted or something they could kind of ostracize you from society, that was one of the things we were going to toy were. We were going to toy with having them have other things in the crypt that get disturbed and maybe haunt you; no matter where you go you've always got something slowly shambling after you or whatever, so that whenever you sleep you'd have to deal with the fact that this thing has found you, and then you'd have to run off again or kill it temporarily and then continue on.
So with multiple worlds and stuff, that would be a great thing to eventually have ... like, as a curse, you just straight up get sent to a bad world ... you know, there's lots of rocks here and not much else. You make a mummy mad, and then that's what they do ...

From a FotF reply:
Quote from: EmeraldWind
From the sound of Threetoe's teaser in the Dev Log, it sounds curses can possibly alienate you from normal not cursed individuals. Will these curses be causing effects that might make you unpleasant for normals to deal with?
For example, a curse of sores or a curse of ugliness.  I imagine these types of curses might make it in because of how they are tied to mummies in fiction and simply want to know if they are within the scope of working on mummies. The idea of a curse making you an outcast is not uncommon either and that what it sounds like could happen from the Dev Log...
These powerful beings that can be disturbed. Will they all be Historical Figures that have been buried or will they be other Fun things as well?
I'm not sure exactly how it's going to work yet, but something that separates you from people is what we are after, whether it's warty or a bad vibe or whatever ends up happening.
We are starting with historical figures that have been buried, and perhaps that's all we'll get to.

One of the ThreeToe stories (A Terror to Behold) also has some night creature evilness going on.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: April 11, 2013, 01:56:09 pm »

Thanks for digging that up. Forgot all about it.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: April 11, 2013, 11:32:01 pm »

omg omg omg OMG omg omg omg

Can we have attack raws now pretty please?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: April 12, 2013, 12:03:40 am »

You mentioned the lower extreme of combat states being horseplay- does this mean rough-housing is in for children/animals?

Do accidents occur, particularly with mismatched opponents (two kittens playfighting isn't so bad, a gorilla and a kitten moreso)

Mostly I ask because I read that line in the voice of the chief Marauder from Adventure Time.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: April 12, 2013, 01:10:01 pm »

What are all the severity scales?  For instance, you mention "Lethal without Quarter"... does that imply you have a "Lethal but Quarter Will Be Given" level?  At what point would a foe realize that you've escalated from Lethal but Quarter to Lethal Without Quarter?  (I assume the player will know when your enemy has escalated when they shout "NO MERCY!" at you)

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6025 on: April 12, 2013, 06:50:42 pm »

Are you planning to make throwing less overpowered?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6026 on: April 12, 2013, 08:18:49 pm »

ToadyOne plans to make throwing even stronger, there are a series of pending bugs that prevent thrown objects from acting as strong as they should.

>.>
<.<
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: April 12, 2013, 09:27:38 pm »

ToadyOne plans to make throwing even stronger, there are a series of pending bugs that prevent thrown objects from acting as strong as they should.

>.>
<.<

Yeah, throwing used to be overpowered circa 40d, but since the 2010 release it's been underpowered if anything.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: April 12, 2013, 10:14:32 pm »

Foot, I think your sentient search engine gave you the wrong bug.  That one seems to be about throwing creatures.  The question was about killing people by throwing a spear through their chest.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: April 12, 2013, 10:53:43 pm »

Foot, I think your sentient search engine gave you the wrong bug.  That one seems to be about throwing creatures.  The question was about killing people by throwing a spear through their chest.

Oh yeah, the other throwing, the one that is actually overpowered.  That needs the ranged combat overhaul, which probably won't happen for a while.
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 748