Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807493 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5325 on: February 15, 2013, 02:40:58 am »

Maybe Legendary Fighters get to punch, stab, and kick with all their fists, daggers, and feet at the same time. Where as a less skilled fighter trying that punches, stabs, and kicks himself in the lower body, and is propelled by the force of the blow!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: February 15, 2013, 03:16:14 am »

Maybe Legendary Fighters get to punch, stab, and kick with all their fists, daggers, and feet at the same time. Where as a less skilled fighter trying that punches, stabs, and kicks himself in the lower body, and is propelled by the force of the blow!
An excellent example of such a difference can be found on Red Vs Blue Season 8 Episode 10.

But seriously, will creatures be able to queue a combination of attacks and abilities? Or even attacks and jobs... It would be amusing to see one of my Deathcaster Sapiocoatl fire off a venom web at an attacker, then promptly harvest it for +frozen sapiocoatl venom thread+.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: February 15, 2013, 04:20:25 am »

I am really curious as to how mighty Hydras will be with that release.

That? It's this. I do believe that, yes, hydras can attack with each of their heads in one turn now.

Although it doesn't makes much sense if they could do that against one small target. Wouldn't the heads collide in mid air?

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: February 15, 2013, 05:22:06 am »

Although it doesn't makes much sense if they could do that against one small target. Wouldn't the heads collide in mid air?

Like hitting all the keys on a typewriter at once ...

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: February 15, 2013, 10:00:30 am »

Lol, I never would have thought of the typewriter analogy.  :D

Well if you think about it penalties would emulate that in a way. But oddly enough is a hydra has a serpentine neck like in Disney's Hercules, you could argue that two of its heads can attack at once so long as they are aiming from and for different sides of defender's body.

Plus there's also the idea that the instant of attack is a bit longer and the heads don't attack exactly at the same time just rapidly in a small frame of time.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: February 15, 2013, 11:48:36 am »

Lol, I never would have thought of the typewriter analogy.  :D

Well if you think about it penalties would emulate that in a way. But oddly enough is a hydra has a serpentine neck like in Disney's Hercules, you could argue that two of its heads can attack at once so long as they are aiming from and for different sides of defender's body.

Plus there's also the idea that the instant of attack is a bit longer and the heads don't attack exactly at the same time just rapidly in a small frame of time.

Dunno if it works already like that, but are abilities "bound" to certain bodyparts?
If so, would giving hydras ability to breathe fire allow them to fire seven streams of "hydrafire" at once/in shorter periods of time than it works currently?

Because gorynyches are a huge !FUN!-inducing material. (3-7-headed flying dragons - how isn't that fun?)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: February 15, 2013, 11:52:24 am »

As I recall, the downside of queueing up a ton of attacks is supposed to be that it leaves you increasingly open to reaction-moments for those you are attacking to respond.  If that's the case then that's a pretty good estimation of the reason it's stupid to try simultaneous kick/punch/stab maneuvers in real life - doing so is complicated and harder to pull off.

Sure, but that aspect of having it be complicated and harder to pull off will have to be put in somehow. And kicking with both feet, for example, should be trickier than stabbing with two daggers at a time or some such.

Well, what I'm worried about is that the penalties won't really be large enough to reflect reality.

It's like the modern thing where people try to make some archers look "badass" by making them fire more than one arrow from a bowstring at once - it's just incredibly stupid, since there's a finite amount of force the bowstring can impart, and you're dividing it between both arrows.  (Meaning, you're firing two arrows that will have less than half the actual force behind them, be far less accurate, and likely do no damage even if they hit.)

Trying to kick with both legs isn't just stupid because you'll fall on your ass, it's stupid because you won't be able to get any power behind your kicks, anyway, without having something to press off of. 

Windmill-swinging dual-weapons is likewise stupid because without balance, you can't throw your body weight behind the attack, and without that weight, you have no momentum to lend the attack enough power to pierce a target.

In fact, to a degree, the game already kind of models this well - it's not getting a bunch of attacks in quickly that matters, it's getting that one lethal attack in.  A two-handed weapon that cleaves a limb or a spear thrust that hits a vital organ is worth more than even hundreds of bruises.

I'm just hoping that this update helps move DF combat more towards a model like what you see in something like Mount and Blade, where it's a matter of guarding and feinting and blocking and shoving and positioning and trying to wait for the moment where you can get in that strike that knocks them off-balance, and then going for a brutal finisher, rather than a game where you just windmill your swords at someone and hope that sheer volume of strikes leads to a lucky crit or more aggregate damage.

I'd rather DF combat be like a puzzle game where you try to force the opponent into an error than this kind of utter crapshoot where you just try to roll more dice than the opponent to get lucky first.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: February 15, 2013, 12:04:59 pm »

Will there be any kind of conduit of information from the rest of the world to your fort regarding succession and army activities? Asking caravans or diplomats for news etc.

If so, will that information be useful? Being able to predict imminent goblin attacks because a nearby village was recently razed, for instance.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: February 15, 2013, 01:28:49 pm »

For the record, 2-legged kicks do make you fall on your back and knock the wind out of you, but they also knock the target down and possibly break their ribs. You basically jump forward with both legs first.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: February 15, 2013, 01:29:38 pm »

Will there be any kind of conduit of information from the rest of the world to your fort regarding succession and army activities? Asking caravans or diplomats for news etc.

If so, will that information be useful? Being able to predict imminent goblin attacks because a nearby village was recently razed, for instance.

an extension to this:
If so will it be through the liason? replacing one of the "you've carved a fine place for yourself" dialogues with some news of what is going on in the world?
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: February 15, 2013, 04:22:49 pm »

Now that we have vision arcs implemented, how are we supposed to determine what direction is a certain creature looking in?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: February 15, 2013, 04:39:28 pm »

i think it shows in a certain mode.
hit button, triangles appear.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #5337 on: February 15, 2013, 04:56:02 pm »

Now that we have vision arcs implemented, how are we supposed to determine what direction is a certain creature looking in?

Do you mean other than looking at the visible on-screen vision arc?

My understanding is that you go in to stealth mode and the vision arcs show up on screen.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: February 15, 2013, 08:11:53 pm »

For the record, 2-legged kicks do make you fall on your back and knock the wind out of you, but they also knock the target down and possibly break their ribs. You basically jump forward with both legs first.

2-legged kicks with a running start to build momentum do that. 

For that matter, you can do much the same thing with one leg if you're doing a jump-kick, or even just a running tackle, or better yet, a spear-first charge, especially since Toady is throwing in the rules for a running start in this release, so that there's little reason to get confused between an attack with momentum and without momentum.

From a standing position (like a regular kick, but with both legs at the same time, which is what was being discussed,) it's just sweeping your own legs out from under yourself and maybe brushing the target before you land butt-first on the floor.  That's why it was used as an example of either defying physics or suicidal stupidity, depending on how the code was implemented.

With being able to perform multiple attacks at once such as dual-wielding, will any special affects happen from kicking with both feet at once? Will we fall to the ground if we attempt this, or are we assumed to be ninjas?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: February 15, 2013, 11:34:27 pm »

New Devlog!

Okay, so I wasn't too surprised at the restraint he showed with the criminal tangent, but I didn't expect him to pass up a conversation overhaul, particularly with all the new information he needs to be able to impart to the player with all the volatile political situations going on now. I still feel giddy every time he says the word "insurrection," though.
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 748