Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807506 times)

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5310 on: February 13, 2013, 10:05:37 am »

Question for the community

Is this release have the combat split already? I cannot remember and I cannot infer.

Unless combat split means the split in combat speed and movement speed, I don't know what it means. If that is what it means, then I believe this release did have that, yes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: February 13, 2013, 10:08:36 am »

I am really curious as to how mighty Hydras will be with that release.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: February 13, 2013, 08:41:56 pm »

****. Hadn't thought of that. 7 bite attacks at once... Hopefully ballistae are back to being powerful again.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: February 13, 2013, 08:48:12 pm »

That? It's this. I do believe that, yes, hydras can attack with each of their heads in one turn now.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: February 14, 2013, 01:04:50 am »

The hydra is always the truest indication.

Quote from: Toady One
03/10/2010 I started testing out the hydra this morning and found I couldn't quite hack off its heads with an adamantine two-handed sword. While I was working through the numbers there, I got a crash report which ended up being this horrible intermittent doesn't-happen-with-any-debug-information-enabled beast I've only finished off just now, so I'll be back at the hydra tomorrow! I understand what's happening with the neck severing now so I should be able to get to testing bleeding, KOs, and so on without much trouble.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: February 14, 2013, 01:07:54 am »

Ah, 6/18/12.

[The combat move/speed split will] also clean up some weirdness with rider combat that was exacerbated by the changes of the last week. Splitting movement and combat reactions should lead to some cool side benefits, such as creatures like horses and cheetahs being able to move quickly without getting extra attacks, and things like hydras and many-armed critters being able to use numerous attacks at once.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: February 14, 2013, 03:51:50 pm »

That makes me think...
With being able to perform multiple attacks at once such as dual-wielding, will any special affects happen from kicking with both feet at once? Will we fall to the ground if we attempt this, or are we assumed to be ninjas?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: February 14, 2013, 03:53:22 pm »

Can we jump down onto baddies, knocking them down and stabbing them at the same time or similar things?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: February 14, 2013, 04:05:01 pm »

That makes me think...
With being able to perform multiple attacks at once such as dual-wielding, will any special affects happen from kicking with both feet at once? Will we fall to the ground if we attempt this, or are we assumed to be ninjas?

I really hope not, we've had arguments over this exact line of thought before... windmilling your arms around at the same time doesn't exactly properly model dual-weapon combat any better than being able to kick with two legs at a time without falling down models martial arts in general.

I would certainly hope some sort of "balance" or "concentration" mechanic comes into play to prevent someone from blocking an attack with a shield, from the right, chopping someone's head off with an axe with their right hand on a creature to their left, while firing off their Heat-Seeking Armor-Piercing Spitwad (no-handed weapon) at a dragon behind them.  The Munchkin card game made up that last one as a specific joke on the sorts of abuse players will typically try to make up to get more attacks in a round...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: February 14, 2013, 04:39:29 pm »

... on the sorts of abuse players will typically try to make up to get more attacks in a round...
Such as wielding 47 shields in one hand, and attacking with all of them at one time.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: February 14, 2013, 04:48:41 pm »

Such as wielding 47 shields in one hand, and attacking with all of them at one time.

Yes, I really hope we get a mechanic that stops nonsense like that from happening, much less getting worse.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: February 14, 2013, 10:41:53 pm »

I hope for a single bugged release with incredibly unbalanced 47-shield hijinks before the fixed one 24 hours later, so we can have the most hilarious arena fights ever.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: February 15, 2013, 01:39:08 am »

As I recall, the downside of queueing up a ton of attacks is supposed to be that it leaves you increasingly open to reaction-moments for those you are attacking to respond.  If that's the case then that's a pretty good estimation of the reason it's stupid to try simultaneous kick/punch/stab maneuvers in real life - doing so is complicated and harder to pull off. 

Quote from: Devlog on 06/22/2012
Things haven't been very exciting recently -- the gutting of combat and movement code is fairly wide reaching, and there won't be anything interesting to report for a few days yet. I did manage to explode myself by having a goblin load up five overlapping swings with the same sword that all struck in erroneous and rapid succession. Once all that's working you should be able to, for example, thrust at the same time with two daggers at one or more opponents (with various penalties etc. that you might expect from attempting that) -- stabbing both eyes or doing a double kill, that kind of thing. The interface there has a chance to veer to further clunkiness, so we'll probably have you default to a single action on your turn with the power to initiate multiple simultaneous actions with an additional keypress.
where is up?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: February 15, 2013, 01:43:53 am »

Might things currently try to perform as many attacks as once, regardless of penalties? Can we set things to do that?

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: February 15, 2013, 02:29:04 am »

As I recall, the downside of queueing up a ton of attacks is supposed to be that it leaves you increasingly open to reaction-moments for those you are attacking to respond.  If that's the case then that's a pretty good estimation of the reason it's stupid to try simultaneous kick/punch/stab maneuvers in real life - doing so is complicated and harder to pull off.

Sure, but that aspect of having it be complicated and harder to pull off will have to be put in somehow. And kicking with both feet, for example, should be trickier than stabbing with two daggers at a time or some such.
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 748