Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808729 times)

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4425 on: November 21, 2012, 09:50:12 am »

Will a broker or other diplomat affect the relationships with other nations if you have him/her at the tavern?
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: November 21, 2012, 11:00:55 am »

I foresee this situation : you are preparing the meeting with the goblin diplomat when he gets his nose broken in a barfight...
"A diplomat has left unhappy"
then a year later he gets back with five thugs, wreak havoc in the tavern, beat bloody the guy who broke his nose then set the tavern on fire...
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: November 21, 2012, 11:41:45 am »

I foresee this situation : you are preparing the meeting with the goblin diplomat when he gets his nose broken in a barfight...
"A diplomat has left unhappy"
then a year later he gets back with five thugs, wreak havoc in the tavern, beat bloody the guy who broke his nose then set the tavern on fire...

Speaking of which, its now possible for forest fires to spread through the trees, where the solid parts are pretty much like walls. As forest fires can now cause spectacular devastation with burning trees, can fires now level wooden buildings in towns?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: November 21, 2012, 11:54:31 am »

As forest fires can now cause spectacular devastation with burning trees, can fires now level wooden buildings in towns?

I'd hazard a guess that the code that made trees invincible is separate from whatever code makes construction invincible, and even if they used the same code he probably wrote entirely new code for the trees. I doubt that would change unless Toady went out of his way for it.

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: November 21, 2012, 12:55:39 pm »

If I'd had to guess, I'd say that the code that makes wooden buildings indestructible is the same code that makes walls in general indestructible, so burning buildings would probably require a rewrite of the wall code.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: November 21, 2012, 01:02:03 pm »

I guess that he will tackle this at the same time as he get rid of never melting ice walls...
it could be interesting, if we ever get climate changes, to see civs build big ice walls to keep the foe at bay (like THE Wall in game of thrones) only to see them melt over the millenia as everyone beyond them keeps warming the climate
What pal, you got a problem with this warm ice wall?
cant stop playing DF?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4431 on: November 21, 2012, 01:14:23 pm »

A while back, I played a modded fire spirit adventurer. I went down to the arctic and vaporized native ice walls, but only when I stood next to them, not on top of them. Ice-boulder-walls, as constructions, would behave differently.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: November 21, 2012, 01:39:02 pm »

I ment ice blocks walls
cant stop playing DF?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: November 21, 2012, 04:16:44 pm »

I guess that he will tackle this at the same time as he get rid of never melting ice walls...
it could be interesting, if we ever get climate changes, to see civs build big ice walls to keep the foe at bay (like THE Wall in game of thrones) only to see them melt over the millenia as everyone beyond them keeps warming the climate

The Icewall around Asgard was the first thing that came to my mind. As far as global warming etc goes ... that would need a rewrite of the Weather sim. A rewrite for Dorf Thermodynamics would be needed too i think.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: November 21, 2012, 09:57:26 pm »

If we were to have climate change, cooling would be more appropriate than warming, considering the game is target roughly at late medieval time period, during which the Medieval Climate Optimum was ending and the Little Ice Age was beginning.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: November 21, 2012, 10:25:19 pm »

If we were to have climate change, cooling would be more appropriate than warming, considering the game is target roughly at late medieval time period, during which the Medieval Climate Optimum was ending and the Little Ice Age was beginning.
As well as the fact that the most industrialized civ hasn't even managed to figure out how to dump liquids other then magma into the surrounding enviroment.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4436 on: November 21, 2012, 11:06:58 pm »

We cannot forget though, that the geography of the worlds in DF are ussually SIGNIFICANTLY different from ours. It'd make no sense to have the world undergo cooling simply because that's what happened in our world, especially in worlds where the biomes and events are arranged in such a way that it would make sense for it to cause a general heating or general stability. I vouch for it to be done dynamically, though it still makes little sense to have climate change within a few hundred years and no cars.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: November 21, 2012, 11:13:54 pm »

Yeah, barring absurd magic I'd think global climate change is beyond the capacity for any civ of the era. Then again, this IS a fantasy game that already has absurd magic in it, so I look forward to Spirit of Fire Emissions causing catastrophic ecological damage in the future!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: November 21, 2012, 11:14:57 pm »

Needing constructed Ice Walls to melt doesnt seem to be attached to any major gameplay. Having ice walls melting, also to me, isnt strongly connected to also needing constructed walls universally be destroyable, absent of player agency.

What I think will require that constructed walls needing to be destroyed will be the siege.] overhaul.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:27:22 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: November 22, 2012, 02:07:58 am »

Whenever fire and walls is done, it should never be easy to burn down an entire elf grove simply by starting a campfire next to a named tree. That would be lame. Unless maybe the forest's been in drought and everything is tinder dry.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 748