Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809849 times)

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3420 on: September 22, 2012, 03:29:51 pm »

Will entities be able to jump over more than one tile?

Will you need some distance to run before jumping?

Will you be able to jump into somebody as offensive maneuver?

When climbing, will you be able to jump vertically to another adjacent (opposite) wall and try to snag to it?

Will holding on ledges be part of climbing-jumping.

Will climbing introduce ladders and ropes for climbing?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: September 22, 2012, 03:39:08 pm »

Climbing /has/ to introduce ropes and ladders. If I recall correctly, the reason why we were promised then denied rope ladders in Fort Mode was due to path finding addition not worth the effort. This was way back when the caverns were introduced.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: September 22, 2012, 05:24:27 pm »

Unless it falls to one of the other two sides.
Yeah I thought about that, but then you can just try the next tree until you die or reach the other side of the river, so I didn't bother mentioning that possibility.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: September 22, 2012, 06:54:13 pm »

It is possible to control the direction in which a tree falls, so this could be added into the game. This will give an adventurer a good way to bring down a tree, and possibly determine the direction in which a tree falls in dwarf fortress mode.

If walking trees go into Dwarf Fortress, the next update will ensure they become a lot more terrifying.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: September 22, 2012, 07:15:24 pm »

Deadfall traps anyone?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: September 22, 2012, 07:24:25 pm »

It is possible to control the direction in which a tree falls, so this could be added into the game. This will give an adventurer a good way to bring down a tree, and possibly determine the direction in which a tree falls in dwarf fortress mode.

- Adventurers cutting down trees in combat to strike enemies?
- Adventurers cutting down trees near towns to strike NPCs, with plausible deniability?
- Fort mode wood cutters cutting down trees just as wood haulers arrive to collect the previous logs, leading to squished haulers?
- A tree is in a corner or something, so the only direction it can fall is towards the fort mode wood cutter?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: September 22, 2012, 08:25:35 pm »

It is possible to control the direction in which a tree falls, so this could be added into the game.

Cue your dabbling woodcutter getting it wrong, and dropping a tree on himself :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: September 22, 2012, 10:34:12 pm »

It is possible to control the direction in which a tree falls, so this could be added into the game.

Cue your dabbling woodcutter getting it wrong, and dropping a tree on himself :P
Boy I hope so.

Will jumping now be reflected as a skill? Will fortmode dwarves jump, and under what circumstances?

it would be reasonable to assume so.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: September 23, 2012, 01:32:22 am »

The excitement generated by an upcoming release is proportional to the number of green question-suggestions that roll in.

I'd hope that the possibility of lethal tree felling would wait until there was some way for non-skilled dwarves to learn the basics (how not to kill yourself immediately) from skilled dwarves by just tagging along and observing (apprenticeship). But it's not hard to spare a couple points for wood cutting at embark so it's not that important, I guess. Until your woodcutter is shot in the face from ambush.

Rope ladders are what I am most excited about. Finally the possibility of sheer sided pits without stairs or rubble left at the bootm. OCD players rejoice.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: September 23, 2012, 05:54:27 am »

ToadyOne, how much, if at all, do you enjoy us trying to soak as much information as possible from your Dev Logs?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: September 23, 2012, 06:45:25 am »

- A tree is in a corner or something, so the only direction it can fall is towards the fort mode wood cutter?

Knowing Dwarf Fortress, it will work like walls used to, they'll always fell it from the wrong side.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: September 23, 2012, 07:00:39 am »

Knowing Dwarf Fortress, it will work like walls used to, they'll always fell it from the wrong side.
I respectfully disagree. That would render the game unplayable, and Toady One has a tendency (one I strongly approve of) to forego realism for functionality, especially in places where it would break the game. One-chop lumberjacks would be incredibly annoying. If falling trees generate walls, then I think you would probably wind up with items getting destroyed as well, in the same manner as someone freezing in ice, which means you would have to produce a new axe every time you chop down a tree.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: September 23, 2012, 07:19:38 am »

I don't really see how it should be that hard to fix. Just need to make the ground area where the tree will land temporarily marked as dangerous, then program dwarf ai to respond to this and run to safety if needed (and possibly adding in an appropriate time delay for the tree to fall so they'd have a chance at running away in time if need be). And if one were to try and cut down a tree that can only fall in one direction with no space for your dwarves to get out of the way then that'd be a failure on the players part, same as causing a cave-in etc ^^

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: September 23, 2012, 12:19:35 pm »

And if one were to try and cut down a tree that can only fall in one direction with no space for your dwarves to get out of the way then that'd be a failure on the players part, same as causing a cave-in etc ^^

Or a masterfully planned trap!

I don't think felled trees are going to act like impassable walls, except maybe big, 3x[something] and bigger ones. In real life you could prob step over most trees, others would slow you down. Few could be considered to really be able to stop a person from continuing on.
Also, skilled-based directional control seems plausible, but also evasion. Agility could mean life or death.. if the dwarf's awareness is enough to notice he's going to be flattened... and let's face it, dwarves usually aren't that much aware of their surroundings.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Charey Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: September 23, 2012, 01:35:49 pm »

Will the update to trees also include dangerous plants like giant fly-traps and strangling vines?
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 748