Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3810072 times)

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3300 on: September 10, 2012, 08:22:54 pm »

Little question here,
will trolls be part of goblin forts? If so, how will they be found in the dark fortress?

In a more specific tone, How will trolls be treated by gobbos, animals? People? Bombs? If they are included in the dark fort, will they be chained? Live in rooms? Or be pastured like sheep?
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: September 11, 2012, 06:11:59 am »

Off the current vein of conversation, I was looking at all the dev log things before where there was the calculations of minecarts and positions of characters relative to them and tracks and ledges, following trajectories and the like. My question is:

How tightly bound is the DF world to a grid? Is it actually a floating point position based world displayed through a grid, or is it more so connected to the grid on a mathematical level. If it isn't bound by the grid are they any current considerations to alter game displays in that direction?

I would expect with all the calculations for the entities they would be floating point, but walls and floors and other items might have a 1 tile presence or less than.

It's all grids. Grids grids grids. Creatures occupy a full tile. Any arbitrary amount x of creatures can occupy a tile so long as x-1 creatures are lying down on it, etc.

I believe that minecarts (and stuff that shares their systems) are the sole exception to this - they do use some actual floating point stuff to get the parabolic stuff to work.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: September 11, 2012, 07:26:38 am »

Little question here,
will trolls be part of goblin forts? If so, how will they be found in the dark fortress?

In a more specific tone, How will trolls be treated by gobbos, animals? People? Bombs? If they are included in the dark fort, will they be chained? Live in rooms? Or be pastured like sheep?
They already have civilian jobs when invading, and seeing as goblins are pretty much an equal-opportunities evil race, I'd expect them to simply work like anyone else.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: September 13, 2012, 05:11:07 am »

Trenches and mounds? Would be nice if we could do some more earth-works in fort mode too. Watchtowers are a fine addition too, cant wait to raid one of those gob-forts.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: September 13, 2012, 05:29:43 am »

Trenches and mounds? Would be nice if we could do some more earth-works in fort mode too. Watchtowers are a fine addition too, cant wait to raid one of those gob-forts.
You can do trenches in Fort Mode.

Unless you're thinking that trenches are some sorta new, like half dug tile.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:49:58 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: September 13, 2012, 09:11:51 am »

I know i meant the mounds as in piling up dirt somewhere where i need it.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: September 13, 2012, 10:51:43 am »

Do watchtowers offer any advantage in spotting intruders? Or are they just cosmetic for now?

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: September 13, 2012, 03:45:52 pm »

Do watchtowers offer any advantage in spotting intruders? Or are they just cosmetic for now?
Also, do mounds and trenches etc... offer any advantages?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: September 13, 2012, 05:03:37 pm »

They will block LOS for archers, and give a high point for defenders.  I'm not sure what advantages high ground gives in the current game mechanics, though.

Classically, the Mott and Bailey design was used to defend seiges, but since we don't have proper seige engines in game yet, that is a bit premature.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: September 13, 2012, 07:47:24 pm »

How will you choose animals to be placed in "troll-shearing areas," codingly speaking? Any tamed critters that can be sheared, or some other factors?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: September 13, 2012, 08:24:34 pm »

How will you choose animals to be placed in "troll-shearing areas," codingly speaking? Any tamed critters that can be sheared, or some other factors?

Do goblins shear anything other than trolls? :S

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: September 13, 2012, 08:52:18 pm »

Sheep, goats, modded shell-cows...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: September 13, 2012, 09:41:03 pm »

Sheep, goats, modded shell-cows...

I'd presume anything marked as a [evil] animal
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: September 13, 2012, 10:41:54 pm »

Whether they have fur or not?  Those cunning bastards!

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: September 14, 2012, 08:05:43 am »

Whether they have fur or not?  Those cunning bastards!

Well if these troll sheering areas are just the pastures with workers than yes, it's likely we may see cave dragons in the same area too.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 748