Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806752 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2385 on: June 13, 2012, 08:53:31 am »

Converse to the above;

Can we, as an adventurer, choose to initiate unarmed combat with wildlife?

Imagine setting up a fort with dozens of cage traps, then going in as an adventurer and personally knocking various forms of interesting wildlife unconcious and wrangling them over to the cages! :D

Ohh also; are there any plans to be able to restrain our enemies after we subdue them? Either in terms of affixing them to actual restraints that we have in fortmode (like chains etc.), hogtying them, or tying them up but being able to walk?

I figure this is likely, given you talk about things like;

Quote from: Dev Goals
Ability to hold somebody and immobilize them

...but some clarification would be awesome!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: June 13, 2012, 09:35:51 am »

Is there going to be any kind of "desensitization" to the fear of fighting that slowly builds up?  I can see hardened troops who have made it through dozens of battles being less likely to run away than the fresh from the fields farmer.

That depends. I can see some people slowly going insane from the horror of seeing their comrades fall and such, so it could depend on the sorts of battles he's seen. If he's seen a demon rip apart a man and kill two others with the pieces, then he'd prob have enough of battle. Unless he's one of those avenging or 'I'll get better' types and doesn't give up just to stop this from happening to others...
If these could actually be implemented...
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: June 13, 2012, 09:48:06 am »

i see a problem with weapon recognition: what about other things not really considered a weapon? i thinks its documented history of this game to kill things with something else than a weapon.
also: when i use the 'unsheathe my sword'-button, how does the game decide one the weapon when i have multiple ones? i think a specialized button is not necessary, i took on the habit of taking a quiver and putting my weapons in there. that way i dont have to search my whole backpack all the time and its fast to access when youre not wearing a dozen other containers at the same time. So my question is:

how will the game handle nonweapon-weapons?

i can imagine a npc looking at what youre holding in hands and calculating a theoretical hit with this item on themselves in the background to estimate the damage. also it would be cool if observing-abilities would make one over- or under-estimate the power the other one is wielding as well as self-confidence-levels affecting the estimated own toughness for the theoretical hit.
to shorten the last part: npcs thinking: 'what would happen if that guy hit me with this thing in his hands?'

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: June 13, 2012, 01:12:41 pm »

If I hit someone with the flat of my blade, does that count as a lethal or non-lethal attack according to the game?

For the uninformed, adventurers have the option of intentionally hitting someone with the flat of the blade, and its very weak compared to even hitting someone with the pommel of the sword, much less stabbing or slashing (which is why the AI almost never uses the attack).  Kicks or punches are more lethal at this point, although there's the counter argument that people might just assume you're trying to kill them because you're using a sword.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: June 13, 2012, 01:19:01 pm »

How particularized are the different sorts of fear going to be to individual thoughts, personalities, and histories?

In other words, obviously some people might be willing to engage in fistfights but not lethal combat. However, would that extend to different sorts of lethal combat, so that a person might be willing to fight another human to the death, but not a dragon/demon? Or might be unwilling to fight a sort of animal that that dwarf "likes"? Also, would someone who is generally unwilling to enter lethal combat be willing if their opponent were an "enemy" subject to special and particular enmity (e.g. a troll that abducted the person's spouse)?

Sorry for the long question. I'm just interested in how the personality system and this stuff will interact. It seems like it could be a cool set of systems (indeed, this is the sort of stuff I've wanted the most since I started playing DF), but it could also be really overcomplicated and resource intensive if EVERYTHING is tracked.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: June 13, 2012, 01:47:33 pm »

How particularized are the different sorts of fear going to be to individual thoughts, personalities, and histories?

As an extension to this question, will the concepts of "natural enemy" found in D&D and phobias get in the personnality rewrite ? I'm thinking, for example, about a certain knight very keen on slaughter leaving a fight because he fears fire after being severely burnt as a child.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: June 13, 2012, 03:20:32 pm »

Will the exact weapon you're carrying make any difference beyond simple material/quality/type? For example, will there be cases where a well-used sword that has killed many goblins is more intimidating to a goblin than a human?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: June 13, 2012, 03:52:37 pm »

Will the exact weapon you're carrying make any difference beyond simple material/quality/type? For example, will there be cases where a well-used sword that has killed many goblins is more intimidating to a goblin than a human?

Logically, unless the weapon in question was an artifact I doubt they'd have ever heard of it or would recognize it as having killed goblins before :>

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: June 13, 2012, 04:20:36 pm »

Related, I'm hoping that goblins will learn to fear the Misc Object User when he brandishes a backpack at them. Particularly if it is a named backpack.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: June 13, 2012, 05:40:39 pm »

Logically, unless the weapon in question was an artifact I doubt they'd have ever heard of it or would recognize it as having killed goblins before :>

Yeah, but it would be a nice for artifacts to have an effect like that.

At this point Gandalf fell behind, and Thorin with him. They turned a sharp corner. “About turn!” he shouted. “Draw your sword, Thorin!” There was nothing else to be done; and the goblins did not like it. They came scurrying round the corner in full cry, and found Goblin Cleaver and Foe Hammer shining cold and bright right in their astonished eyes. The ones in front dropped their torches and gave one yell before they were killed. The ones behind yelled still more, and leaped back knocking over those that were running after them. “Biter and Beater!” they shrieked; and soon they were all in confusion, and most of them were hustling back the way they had come.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: June 13, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »

Precisely the effect I was wondering about.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: June 13, 2012, 06:15:26 pm »

Yeah, but it would be a nice for artifacts to have an effect like that.

At this point Gandalf fell behind, and Thorin with him. They turned a sharp corner. “About turn!” he shouted. “Draw your sword, Thorin!” There was nothing else to be done; and the goblins did not like it. They came scurrying round the corner in full cry, and found Goblin Cleaver and Foe Hammer shining cold and bright right in their astonished eyes. The ones in front dropped their torches and gave one yell before they were killed. The ones behind yelled still more, and leaped back knocking over those that were running after them. “Biter and Beater!” they shrieked; and soon they were all in confusion, and most of them were hustling back the way they had come.

Well yes, artifacts definitely, and it would add a lot to both usefulness and coolness value if artifacts could have effects such as that. A random +Iron Short Sword+ with 100 goblin kills that's been named still wouldn't be recognizeable or mean much to the goblins though ^^

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: June 13, 2012, 06:48:52 pm »

Well yes, artifacts definitely, and it would add a lot to both usefulness and coolness value if artifacts could have effects such as that. A random +Iron Short Sword+ with 100 goblin kills that's been named still wouldn't be recognizeable or mean much to the goblins though ^^

I don't know. A named sword that killed 100 goblins surely belongs to a fearsome goblin slayer who has taken it upon himself to hunt down members of the goblin race in some capacity. It would make sense for such a weapon to have fear-inducing associations.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: June 13, 2012, 06:53:55 pm »

Well, as long as the goblins can tell the difference between a sword that's killed 100 goblins, and a dagger that's killed 100 rabbits.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: June 13, 2012, 06:56:29 pm »

I don't know. A named sword that killed 100 goblins surely belongs to a fearsome goblin slayer who has taken it upon himself to hunt down members of the goblin race in some capacity. It would make sense for such a weapon to have fear-inducing associations.

Agreed. The fear doesn't come because it's exceptionnally well-made, but because it slained many before. Though artifacts should be more instantly recognizable whereas maybe you'd have to boast the name of your sword before fear is induced, if it's just a normal sword.

Which makes me think : any chance we get the option to boast a kill or two as our enemies do (which I *think* you mentionned somewhere), in this next round of psychological warfare ? Will the boasting of an enemy have an effect on our followers, distinct from the effect of getting rounded by 6 people in the wilderness ?
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 748