Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806785 times)

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2400 on: June 13, 2012, 06:56:46 pm »

Well yes, artifacts definitely, and it would add a lot to both usefulness and coolness value if artifacts could have effects such as that. A random +Iron Short Sword+ with 100 goblin kills that's been named still wouldn't be recognizeable or mean much to the goblins though ^^

I don't know. A named sword that killed 100 goblins surely belongs to a fearsome goblin slayer who has taken it upon himself to hunt down members of the goblin race in some capacity. It would make sense for such a weapon to have fear-inducing associations.

My point was more that it wouldn't make sense for goblins to be able to recognise weapons such as that unless they were truly unique in appearance somehow, such as for example artifacts, especially if these further on may be given visual magical effects.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: June 13, 2012, 10:27:41 pm »

Well yes, artifacts definitely, and it would add a lot to both usefulness and coolness value if artifacts could have effects such as that. A random +Iron Short Sword+ with 100 goblin kills that's been named still wouldn't be recognizeable or mean much to the goblins though ^^

I don't know. A named sword that killed 100 goblins surely belongs to a fearsome goblin slayer who has taken it upon himself to hunt down members of the goblin race in some capacity. It would make sense for such a weapon to have fear-inducing associations.

My point was more that it wouldn't make sense for goblins to be able to recognise weapons such as that unless they were truly unique in appearance somehow, such as for example artifacts, especially if these further on may be given visual magical effects.

Well, there's always the chance that goblins could get a bad vibe off of a blade that has slayed a hundred of their kind regardless of if the blade actually looks unique. Granted said bad vibe can emanate from the slayer as well.

Plus there's always a chance that the sword itself could react in a way that makes itself known. IE. The swords in The Hobbit glowed around goblins/orcs normally due to them being made for a war against the goblins. Bilbo's sword is a nameless and non-unique weapon besides the fact it also glows. Later on when Bilbo is kicking spider-assthorax, the sword begins to glow in the presence of the spiders and rightly scares the shit out of the spiders. Which the spiders provide Bilbo with inspiration for the sword's name, if not the name itself.

The sword almost seemed to gain an affinity for dealing with spiders (which actually gets nodded to at the end of the book The Two Towers during Frodo and Sam's fights with Shelob). Granted though, it still was an elven-made dagger and was unique enough that the main characters never see anything like it and that  the enemies typically didn't like elven stuff no matter what it was.

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: June 14, 2012, 01:03:42 am »

Here's an idea.

How about implementing meteors in the game? Every few years or so you'll get an announcement, and a meteor will fall somewhere on the map, causing fires and maybe punching in a hole though the ground level and killing everything underneath. The remains can then be mined out for some ore inside on the level of candy, or at lease some kind of ore.

Maybe if gods are implemented in the game more a meteor shower could come just as the goblin siege are breaking through your front gates, saving you and providing you with metal from the heavens for defending yourself more adequately next time.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: June 14, 2012, 01:47:16 am »

Here's an idea.

How about implementing meteors in the game? Every few years or so you'll get an announcement, and a meteor will fall somewhere on the map, causing fires and maybe punching in a hole though the ground level and killing everything underneath. The remains can then be mined out for some ore inside on the level of candy, or at lease some kind of ore.

Maybe if gods are implemented in the game more a meteor shower could come just as the goblin siege are breaking through your front gates, saving you and providing you with metal from the heavens for defending yourself more adequately next time.

The problem with that is that events are eventually supposed to follow logical cause and effect.  So, for example, we're moving from sieges just randomly happening to having them be drawn from an existing faction, or no siege at all if you aren't at war with anyone.  The army arc will let you engage in diplomacy or counter attacks to stop further sieges.  The point is, what we want is that the siege (the effect) happens because you were at war (the cause) and you can attempt to protect yourself from it (the gameplay).

Your idea, while not bad, runs counter to that sort of cause and effect.  Even unexpected or unavoidable dwarven deaths are supposed to happen for a reason, not just cause the RNG got angry.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: June 14, 2012, 03:33:08 am »

Will the exact weapon you're carrying make any difference beyond simple material/quality/type? For example, will there be cases where a well-used sword that has killed many goblins is more intimidating to a goblin than a human?

Logically, unless the weapon in question was an artifact I doubt they'd have ever heard of it or would recognize it as having killed goblins before :>

Which reminds me how you can tell where there is donkey and dwarf and dragon blood mixed together, just by glancing at the puddle.

Played Terraria much?
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: June 14, 2012, 03:42:44 am »

Played Terraria much?

Hardly the first game to do it and especially not the first form of fiction to do it.

In fact you can trace "Meteor strikes" back years before Terraria.

So... I guess I have to say

Played Terraria too much?

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: June 14, 2012, 03:45:13 am »

And what about worms <_<
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: June 14, 2012, 04:25:20 am »

Is combat going to be revamped with this as well? Say elf E and goblin G are in a fight, and elf E pulls a dagger out. Will goblin G disarm the elf, and will the elf attempt to pickup said dagger again?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: June 14, 2012, 04:43:26 am »

Is combat going to be revamped with this as well? Say elf E and goblin G are in a fight, and elf E pulls a dagger out. Will goblin G disarm the elf, and will the elf attempt to pickup said dagger again?
Yea, I think its pretty safe to say that Combat and most if not all interconnecting system will get integrated with the new current changes, so that they can actually make use of them.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: June 14, 2012, 04:49:46 am »

"No Stozu! Get back! Do you not recognise the famed killer of a thousand goblins before you?"
"Lolz! It's ok! He's using a different sword!"

Enemies fearing a specific mundane weapon is kind of silly, I think, and not just because of the question of how they would recognise it. If someone got famous by killing a lot, it stands to reason they didn't manage it simply because of a certain weapon. Chances are they would do just as well with another weapon, maybe even a different type of weapon.

But if a weapon was made famous by someone, then others would likely try to gain possession of it for the status. And if there's competition for a particular weapon for the status, it's probable that the person who eventually ends up with it is better than average. And then people would be wary of anyone seen using that weapon. Sort of like heron-mark blades from the Wheel of Time series, if you're familiar with it.

So I guess I'm saying that it's silly to fear a specific weapon if the person using it is the one who made it famous, but if it becomes a status symbol after their death/retirement it might be a good way of seeing who's better than average. I'll shut up now.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: June 14, 2012, 05:14:57 am »

"No Stozu! Get back! Do you not recognise the famed killer of a thousand goblins before you?"

Enemies fearing a specific mundane weapon is kind of silly, I think, and not just because of the question of how they would recognise it. If someone got famous by killing a lot, it stands to reason they didn't manage it simply because of a certain weapon. Chances are they would do just as well with another weapon, maybe even a different type of weapon.

But if a weapon was made famous by someone, then others would likely try to gain possession of it for the status. And if there's competition for a particular weapon for the status, it's probable that the person who eventually ends up with it is better than average. And then people would be wary of anyone seen using that weapon. Sort of like heron-mark blades from the Wheel of Time series, if you're familiar with it.

So I guess I'm saying that it's silly to fear a specific weapon if the person using it is the one who made it famous, but if it becomes a status symbol after their death/retirement it might be a good way of seeing who's better than average. I'll shut up now.
Eh?

Weapons can be come famous in Fort Mode, I think in Adventure Mode. They become psedo artifacts, and get historical information. So its a combination of both. If your Victim is aware of your Reputation, then that will probably effect them, or if they recongize the famous that effect them too. And the keyword here, is eventually.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: June 14, 2012, 06:53:34 am »

Will the exact weapon you're carrying make any difference

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eh?

Weapons can be come famous in Fort Mode, I think in Adventure Mode. They become psedo artifacts, and get historical information. So its a combination of both. If your Victim is aware of your Reputation, then that will probably effect them, or if they recongize the famous that effect them too. And the keyword here, is eventually.

I know but I think it would be silly if they started fearing your weapon specifically unless it became magical. But now I'm not even certain if anyone was advocating that, that's why I shut up.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: June 14, 2012, 07:24:39 am »

See, I thought you were replying to the post above yours

Pokey McFork

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_TOOL:FORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: June 14, 2012, 08:38:21 am »

Seeing that non-lethal combat is being implemented, will we be seeing non-lethal weapons at all?
i.e.: blackjacks, brass knuckles, etc.

If so, what kind of response would drawing one in a fight get?

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: June 14, 2012, 09:24:57 am »

I don't think it's a matter of the weapon itself being perceived as having any special properties; it's just the intimidation value of its reputation. It isn't logical, it's psychological.

For a real-life example - You'd be unlikely to pick a fistfight with a guy who you know is a Navy SEAL. You'd be less likely, I'd wager, to pick a fistfight with a guy who you know is a Navy SEAL and is in uniform as such. It's not because you think the uniform gives him +20 Strength or something; it's just a persistent, very visible reminder that he can probably kick your ass. (That it's not even a thing that applies practically to combat, as the legendary weapon would be, reinforces the point I think).
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 748