Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3774790 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2130 on: May 19, 2012, 07:40:36 pm »

isnt stuff like that going into the game later on anyway, even if nobody here ever talks about it? i also think thats the case for like 95% of the esv

Well, even if we were to think that Toady might have put things like the minecarts in without it being an ESV winner or talked about, which doesn't seem likely, since I don't recall it being in the old Devpages, then that doesn't mean he would have done the things people had talked about doing with minecarts.  In the course of the 34.08 hauling release, Toady seemed to be pretty obviously reading and considering the things people had discussed and reacting to them, accordingly.

Just because Toady might be thinking of doing something vaguely like what people are talking about doesn't mean that there isn't something that people can argue out through discussion isn't going to make what Toady makes better. 

If you have a quote from Toady where he's talking about how taming/training/creature domestication from worldgen of creatures is categorically or algorithmically handled by means other than just using common domestic tags or other tags we already have, I'd like to see it.  Otherwise, there's no reason to believe it's something he's actively considering at the moment, and that he'll simply not work on it again unless there is some reason he is forced to do so in order to solve some other problem.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: May 19, 2012, 09:55:57 pm »

Well, even if we were to think that Toady might have put things like the minecarts in without it being an ESV winner or talked about, which doesn't seem likely, since I don't recall it being in the old Devpages, then that doesn't mean he would have done the things people had talked about doing with minecarts.

It was actually a core item.

Core56, IMPROVED FORTRESS TRANSPORTATION, (Future): Though there's always going to be room for improvement here, some basics are needed the first version. Work animals, carts or wheelbarrows, perhaps some more mechanical options, and the ability to organize stockpiles, workshops and other elements of the fortress so that transport of items can be done with less pain.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: May 20, 2012, 01:22:06 am »

Quote from: devlog
I adjusted the behavior of some screens when they are resized beyond 80x25 (lots more to do there).
I don't suppose you could elaborate a little more on that? Are we finally getting fullscreen support for menus such as the sitefinder?
That would absolutely make my day.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2133 on: May 20, 2012, 02:58:12 am »

Start of world gen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Finding a site and potentially visiting the elves:

The world map is smaller since it tends to grow in pops (I think so it samples uniform areas, the code is old).  I didn't grow the local one because showing a larger adventure mode view there would lag the cursor, and the larger region map will probably be the most important anyway.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: May 20, 2012, 03:10:21 am »

Awesome stuff Toady!

Were any of the list screens expanded too or not yet?
For example Units List, Jobs List, Trade Screen etc. They all like to cut long (dwarf or item) names and would greatly benefit from more space.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2135 on: May 20, 2012, 03:19:07 am »

I did units and jobs.  Pretty sure I didn't get to trade yet, but almost everything's on the list for the next few releases.  There's a batch of 15 or so screens which are messier because of some technical stuff that makes resizes on the fly a nightmare, but I don't think that includes the trade screen.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: May 20, 2012, 03:37:08 am »

This is so cool.

And I think I know why the local map can't be resized.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: May 20, 2012, 03:38:39 am »

Start of world gen:
[snip'd]

[snip'd]

The world map is smaller since it tends to grow in pops (I think so it samples uniform areas, the code is old).  I didn't grow the local one because showing a larger adventure mode view there would lag the cursor, and the larger region map will probably be the most important anyway.
God damn but that's sexy. Been waiting for this for roughly 3 years, now :D :D :D

...WAIT. Dwarf Fortress's interface is now actively being improved? Is this the part where I wake up and find out that the previous year or so was just an incredibly-elaborate dream? 'Cause I did some important stuff this year :(
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: May 20, 2012, 04:35:41 am »

Start of world gen:
[snip'd]

[snip'd]

God damn but that's sexy. Been waiting for this for roughly 3 years, now :D :D :D

...WAIT. Dwarf Fortress's interface is now actively being improved? Is this the part where I wake up and find out that the previous year or so was just an incredibly-elaborate dream? 'Cause I did some important stuff this year :(
The UI has received incremental improvements over the last couple of years.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: May 20, 2012, 04:43:38 am »

This is amazing.
Thanks Toady!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: May 20, 2012, 05:18:48 am »

Spoiler: quotes (click to show/hide)

for the hauling Sizik pulled out something already. for the training of animals which are similar, like grizzlies and black bears: everyone will think of that and since "everyone" includes toady and threetoe its going into the game. then the esv, look at the next 3 items from the top:

-standing production orders
-improved pathfinder
-workshop material selection

its so incredibly obvious those things will be done anyway at some point(where its reasonable), why do people even waste their votes for that? in those 3 points are 3600 votes not going for something that might not ever get into the game if nobody votes for them.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: May 20, 2012, 05:23:43 am »

for the hauling Sizik pulled out something already. for the training of animals which are similar, like grizzlies and black bears: everyone will think of that and since "everyone" includes toady and threetoe its going into the game. then the esv, look at the next 3 items from the top:

-standing production orders
-improved pathfinder
-workshop material selection

its so incredibly obvious those things will be done anyway at some point(where its reasonable), why do people even waste their votes for that? in those 3 points are 3600 votes not going for something that might not ever get into the game if nobody votes for them.

While, I agree that those 3 were going to be going into the game eventually, (and number 2 will probably be happening couple more times) the ESV is pretty close to a temperature gauge of the community. Out of these things that'll probably be included in the game at some point (I know that not everything on the esv will eventually be in the game, but a good portion of them will be), which one do you want in sooner then later?

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: May 20, 2012, 05:50:58 am »

but wouldnt 2 separate voting-lists be more appropriate? one for "this is not planned, but we want to see it in" and one for "wed like to see the planned features rather be implemented in this order than that one". the way it is now those completely different listings interfere with each other.

edit: ive looked at the esv again and i noticed it needs to be refreshed. there are redundancies and obsolete(already implemented) suggestions. so when clearing those things up, one might consider splitting it into a suggestion and a development-priority part at the same time, for more efficiency.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:28:31 am by eux0r »

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: May 20, 2012, 09:09:53 am »

That looks good.  The region map is kind of the most important for fining a site, or at least it's where I do most of the looking around when I'm picking a site.  A bigger view is great because it feels less cramped and you can see a lot more of what's around the fort. 
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: May 20, 2012, 09:17:30 am »

It is great!
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 748