Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3781114 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2160 on: May 21, 2012, 08:40:34 pm »

Do you have a vague idea of what's going to be next after this round of bugstomping?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: May 22, 2012, 12:53:13 am »

Re: modeling s/d economies.  I have a little experience with that from my thesis work and various personal experiments later in life.  It is easiest to do in a multi-player environment, like the almost forgotten Ultima Online, although the economy tended  to be highly volitile.  For games like Everquest, Star Wars Galaxy and later, WoW, their economies were more regulated behind the scenes to create stability.   WoW appeared to be relatively heavily monitored compared to the others..  For a stand-alone simulation like DF you would need to model the consumption of the individual "off map" dwarves, along with their ability to supply themselves.  (You can't have the player be the sole source for stone goblets in the world.). You also need to model the production/ supply of whatever is being used for currency, because in the end it's all barter and Dwarfbucks might as well be gold, sea shells, or dirt.

Sorry, I know I'm rambling.  I was drinking and watching the V8 supercars race from the weekend.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: May 22, 2012, 01:06:46 am »

Do you have a vague idea of what's going to be next after this round of bugstomping?
Something from the remaining eight Caravan Arc release goals.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Abitbol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: May 22, 2012, 01:43:09 am »

Worldgen moved to actual play would be a nice feature

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: May 22, 2012, 04:30:54 am »

that wouldn't be "a" feature but a bazillion of them. many things happen in an abstracted way during worldgen and they'd probably need a serious rewrite to work with fortress mode or adventurer time

Mountainhomes and Dark Fortresses
The Economy
Cave-ins and Support
these too would have to be completely rewritten, they wouldn't  be a "fix something that is broken" but a "write a completely new system"

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: May 22, 2012, 03:45:29 pm »

that wouldn't be "a" feature but a bazillion of them. many things happen in an abstracted way during worldgen and they'd probably need a serious rewrite to work with fortress mode or adventurer time

The Economy
Cave-ins and Support
these too would have to be completely rewritten, they wouldn't  be a "fix something that is broken" but a "write a completely new system"
They're not broken to begin with. Each of those system are working as intended, or removed as intended.

raiker123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: May 22, 2012, 07:22:21 pm »

So what is next after the minecart bugfix ? Multi-tile trees and elf retreats ? Animal caretaker being fixed ?
From the DF talk or fortress talk or whatever Toady sounded like he's going to be working on bugs for quite a while. as in, not just the bugs tied in to the minecart stuff.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: May 22, 2012, 07:27:11 pm »

So what is next after the minecart bugfix ? Multi-tile trees and elf retreats ? Animal caretaker being fixed ?
From the DF talk or fortress talk or whatever Toady sounded like he's going to be working on bugs for quite a while. as in, not just the bugs tied in to the minecart stuff.

Meaning what's actually going to happen is we get bug-fixes from random places until something sparks the creativity of the toad, and he start feature building again.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: May 23, 2012, 03:32:38 am »

The Economy
Cave-ins and Support
They're not broken to begin with. Each of those system are working as intended, or removed as intended.
I think he means we used to have semi-working placeholders, will we get those back? And the answer is probably: no, you'll get something way better that actually works, but that'll take a bit of time.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Abitbol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: May 23, 2012, 07:08:55 am »

The way dark fortresses work is quite abstract to me. Is there some kind of conflict if the population of non-goblins is important ?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2170 on: May 23, 2012, 11:42:30 am »

Actually, he mentioned a lot of stuff in the DF talk.

Basically he sort of wants to continue with the caravan stuff but the  lack of sites for non-human races is feeling like an eyesore to him now. And he mentions that first he'd need to do multi-tile trees...

So I'd guess multi-tile trees. and then worked out sites for non-humans. and then maybe, just maybe three dimensional veins?

EDIT:I guess that means dark fortresses are probably gonna be worked on.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: May 23, 2012, 02:02:46 pm »

Are the multitile trees going to use the single line rivers, or the double line rivers, and can we change them?  My tileset would look fine with the single line rivers as branches(I already use them for wormy tendrils), but the double lines would look horrible.

Also how would the trees be differentiated from each other?  And what would be done with the current tree tiles?
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: May 23, 2012, 02:43:13 pm »

and then maybe, just maybe three dimensional veins?

I would hope not. I dont like the idea of having to destroy multiple levels (eyesorewise) instead of just one. I also am not thrilled about having to deal with 3D mines, because I am currently being able to view the world only in a single 2D layer at once (and only in x and y).

I do hope that this will be a worldgen option, though. That way everyone gets something they like.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: May 23, 2012, 03:41:06 pm »

I really hope dwarf sites get mine carts zipping around in adventure mode.  Mine carts have become the number one cause of hilarity injury in my fortresses.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: May 23, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »

and then maybe, just maybe three dimensional veins?

I would hope not. I dont like the idea of having to destroy multiple levels (eyesorewise) instead of just one. I also am not thrilled about having to deal with 3D mines, because I am currently being able to view the world only in a single 2D layer at once (and only in x and y).

I do hope that this will be a worldgen option, though. That way everyone gets something they like.
I dont think it can be.  It'll probably be a change in the raw to direct control their generation. So you'll probably need to swap out raws.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 748