Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809096 times)

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1020 on: April 04, 2012, 04:04:54 am »

You're right, it is a suggestion-question :( I'm sorry.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 04, 2012, 05:41:44 am »

Along with minecarts, can we expect the dwarves to use wheelbarrows, handcarts, horse/OX/(other load bearing domestic animal)carts, as well as backpacks. do you plan on giving paved roads a speed increase to these transports(inc wagons).

Wheelbarrows have been mention by name to be included and seem to be purchasable at the embark screen. I dont think there is a notable/appreciable difference between hand carts/dollies and wheelbarrows though for game mechanics.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 04, 2012, 05:45:54 am »

So how can we expect to power our carts ? Dwarfpower, animal power, mechanisms ?

Also with the addition of minecarts, will there be notions of speed, inertia, and basic newtonian physics, or do you intend to simply add minecarts with actual inertialess DF movement ?

Hope i'm using lime green right.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 04, 2012, 06:06:55 am »

One of the better uses of it recently.

I suspect we'll get to know the answers in upcoming dev post when Toady gets to mine carts.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 04, 2012, 06:20:26 am »

So how can we expect to power our carts ? Dwarfpower, animal power, mechanisms ?

As a corollary, how are we going to get our carts up z-levels from the deep mines?  Are we getting elevators, too?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 04, 2012, 06:21:11 am »

Will tracks/carts be able to cross retractable bridges?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 04, 2012, 06:31:53 am »

Will it be possible to deploy tracks on build/smothed surfaces? Will dwarves use Minecarts as a form of public transport?

As for getting minecarts up multiple levels i could see mechanicly (powered) winches with chains/ropes (hehe and weights that snap them) and maybe counterweights which draw the carts up multiple levels of ramps.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 04, 2012, 06:43:04 am »

Will it be possible to carve tracks on constructed floors (like fortifications)?

Will it be possible to "seal" a track with a door/bridge/whatever?

(If not, that could lead to some security issues. Not that that's always a bad thing.)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 04, 2012, 06:45:55 am »

As a corollary, how are we going to get our carts up z-levels from the deep mines?  Are we getting elevators, too?
Ramps seem to be the definite answer.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 04, 2012, 06:56:16 am »

I'm ambivalent about minecarts and tracks so soon (I always felt that so many fundamentals would have to change for them to have a point) but I'm interested in seeing what they look like in action.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 04, 2012, 07:01:29 am »

Wouldn't that require us to be able to build/carve tracks into ramps which we currently cant do? Its all so mysterious. If I get to build large railway systems like I did in Tranport Tycoon then it will be BEYOND EPIC. Actually designing everything in TTD probably paved the way for me getting into DF. Toady did say you had to carve it into stone, so does that mean you cant have them on the surface or on built surfaces? Only time will tell I guess

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: April 04, 2012, 07:06:58 am »

Wouldn't that require us to be able to build/carve tracks into ramps which we currently cant do? Its all so mysterious. If I get to build large railway systems like I did in Tranport Tycoon then it will be BEYOND EPIC. Actually designing everything in TTD probably paved the way for me getting into DF. Toady did say you had to carve it into stone, so does that mean you cant have them on the surface or on built surfaces? Only time will tell I guess

Well, of course we can't build or carve tracks in 34.07. Tracks are going to be a new feature for the next release. And since Toady said that we can carve tracks on Ramps, then, I'm going to go on a limb and say that we will be able to do it.

And Toady also said that he hasn't gotten to wooden or metal tracks yet. So that mean it's on the docket. It might be in for the next release.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: April 04, 2012, 07:07:21 am »

Now we just need a name for this contraption.  I vote Gravity Powered Syndrome Delivery Device. GPSD2.
sorry, no.
Choo Choo Train of Death.

Wouldn't that require us to be able to build/carve tracks into ramps which we currently cant do?
currently we cant carve tracks anywhere. in the next version we will be able to carve tracks in ramps
Tracks can be carved in stone floors or stone ramps,

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 04, 2012, 07:12:42 am »

Just saw the new dev post... in which he had answered everything I said. Well now I know. This is gonna inspire many ideas, and require me to massive upgrade my hallway widths

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 04, 2012, 07:30:32 am »

This is gonna inspire many ideas, and require me to massive upgrade my hallway widths

From the other threads it seems like many are anticipating making dedicated cart tunnels behind the scenes, keeping the main walkways hauling free and fancy.  These developments could entail really big changes in fortress planning, specific details could not be any more anticipated.  15 hours till next devlog... *gazes at lovely F5*
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 748