Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809129 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1005 on: April 03, 2012, 09:42:48 pm »

Huh. I didn't really think we'd get minecarts or tracks.

I wonder how Toady is going to deal with run away minecarts down hills?

I guess that depends minecarts are moved, and if Toady is going to let them have the ability to be loose and uncontrolled.
It could be the start of the physics stuff that Toady's talked about before, where if a boulder falls on a ramp it rolls, and things have physics-defined flightpaths rather than straight out and straight down.
It also occurs to me that there will be some variables there that could change in air-aspected regions, once Toady does more with spheres.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 03, 2012, 09:56:23 pm »

It could be the start of the physics stuff that Toady's talked about before, where if a boulder falls on a ramp it rolls, and things have physics-defined flightpaths rather than straight out and straight down.
It also occurs to me that there will be some variables there that could change in air-aspected regions, once Toady does more with spheres.

Games like Rollercoaster Tycoon had fairly simple physics (and really, physics with perfectly elastic objects when the only factors are gravity and friction where you only have to solve for one step at a time are fairly easy math problems) that tracked how fast roller coasters would go rolling along different tracks based upon gravity.  If you just have a way of tracking a "forward velocity", and then subtract from that a certain portion due to friction per tile, you are pretty much there.

The real problem with minecarts are how to actually get the game to handle setting up jobs where they are used.  This is more complex than even the "hauling more than one type of item at a time to more than one stockpile at a time" problem, in terms of complexity of number of permutations of possible solutions, because it allows you to actually move an "intermediary stockpile" around into numerous different positions in order to potentially optimize tasks, so you have to put together the complexity of finding objects that are going to similar nearby stockpiles and putting them together in a job, then seeing how far away the nearest minecart is, then figuring out where the optimal place to put that minecart is as an intermediate step, then how far you'd have to haul the cart, and then compare that to how much time it would take to just haul everything by hand.  You have to optimize for both processor power and optimize for least dwarf-steps.  It's a rather complex postman problem.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:04:08 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 03, 2012, 10:20:02 pm »

Yowzer!  Tracks?  Carts?  Wheelbarrows?  Definitely donating after this release. 

Personally, I'm hoping for mine carts that can be weaponized. I don't generally try to weaponize everything I get my hands on, but mine carts sound especially weaponizable to me.

Wheelbarrows too   :D
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 03, 2012, 10:41:54 pm »

Games like Rollercoaster Tycoon had fairly simple physics (and really, physics with perfectly elastic objects when the only factors are gravity and friction where you only have to solve for one step at a time are fairly easy math problems) that tracked how fast roller coasters would go rolling along different tracks based upon gravity.  If you just have a way of tracking a "forward velocity", and then subtract from that a certain portion due to friction per tile, you are pretty much there.
I know it's fairly simple. That's why I figured we might get a more general system along with it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 03, 2012, 11:02:38 pm »

I predict folks modding in complex low boiling point temperature stones, with horrible deadly symptoms, loading them all up in a minecart, pushing the minecart off a steep 20 z level tower, into a goblin siege group, possibly actually running one or two over, on a track that takes it over a couple 1z down magma heated tiles at just the right moment.

Now we just need a name for this contraption.  I vote Gravity Powered Syndrome Delivery Device. GPSD2.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 03, 2012, 11:37:26 pm »

Do drinks really have hidden quality levels? If not, then what causes the varying thought strings about "X had a (quality) drink lately"?

Drinks currently have no hidden quality level.  A dwarf will only get a good thought from a drink if that's the type of drink that the dwarf prefers, in which case the monetary value controls how good a thought it is.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 04, 2012, 12:33:06 am »

Quote from: devlog
You can carve tracks in stone now.
I just an entire toasted sandwich.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 04, 2012, 12:34:29 am »

I just an entire toasted sandwich.

Please  to type the verbs in your sentences.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 04, 2012, 12:51:56 am »

My hope is that tracks and minecarts will appear.

Called it.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 04, 2012, 01:34:19 am »

How much information do you keep on the Dwarf Fortress creatures that don't have a counterpart in the real world? For example, one of the listed goals for hauling is to have animals chained to minecarts. Assuming (perhaps incorrectly) this will be done via some kind of [CART_HAULER] token, is it just a case of opening up the subterranean creature raws and adding it to whatever makes sense based on body structure and size, or is there a Secret Toady Bestiary that already has this sort of information contained within it?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 04, 2012, 02:10:35 am »

How much information do you keep on the Dwarf Fortress creatures that don't have a counterpart in the real world? For example, one of the listed goals for hauling is to have animals chained to minecarts. Assuming (perhaps incorrectly) this will be done via some kind of [CART_HAULER] token, is it just a case of opening up the subterranean creature raws and adding it to whatever makes sense based on body structure and size, or is there a Secret Toady Bestiary that already has this sort of information contained within it?

Or he will use the system already in place for wagon haulers, or he will add the new tag to the raws.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 04, 2012, 03:17:29 am »

Along with minecarts, can we expect the dwarves to use wheelbarrows, handcarts, horse/OX/(other load bearing domestic animal)carts, as well as backpacks. do you plan on giving paved roads a speed increase to these transports(inc wagons).
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1017 on: April 04, 2012, 03:50:19 am »

Along with minecarts, can we expect the dwarves to use wheelbarrows, handcarts, horse/OX/(other load bearing domestic animal)carts, as well as backpacks. do you plan on giving paved roads a speed increase to these transports(inc wagons).

I would really like for ordinary dwarves to wear backpack into which they will store their property when they do not have storage space for it in their room.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 04, 2012, 03:51:26 am »

Hey Toady,

I know you are currently working on wheelbarrows and tracks and stuff :D (which is very nice of course) but is there any chance of seeing the standing production orders idea implented too? I guess it only made 3rd place or so in the eternal vote thing but I like that idea very much :)

(1288)    Standing production orders
Suggester    ...so you never run out of booze. Such as: Produce BOOZE if(PLANTS > 100 && DRINK < 100)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 04, 2012, 03:59:42 am »

That's a suggestion-question, yarr. And you can be sure that he's aware of the forerunners of the ESV. I think he saved the top fifteen when he decided he'd finally start implementing them, ~2 years ago.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 748