Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3774760 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #975 on: April 03, 2012, 08:02:33 am »

dunno about cabinets, but I have seen armor stored on armor stands.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 03, 2012, 08:53:25 am »

Quote from: devlog
Seeing a single dwarf clean up a seed-ridden dining room as a single job is a beautiful thing.
BEST. FIX. EVER.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 03, 2012, 09:15:02 am »

Suggestions best go in the suggestion forum >_>
Normally, but I felt that it's rather relevant, what with this topic discussing DF's immediate future, and the immediate future is now hauling. I will go back and ungreen the suggestion part of it.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 03, 2012, 10:23:21 am »

Oh god.  Hauling updates.  I'm so, so excited.  You mean my dwarves will finally figure out how to hold a bag in their hand and fill it with seeds as they go along instead of hauling seeds one by one to a bag in a stockpile?  This is like a dwarven cognitive revolution.  It will free up hundreds of dwarf-hours for the dwarves to do actual useful stuff.

Thanks to everyone who voted for this at the ESV thread!
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 03, 2012, 10:24:43 am »

Think of the implications for ammo -- dropped arrows could be melted in one job instead of 30!

I don't think it's going to be that simple for ammo . . . does your masterwork giant kea bone bolt stack with your exceptional giant kea bone bolt?  I'd be happier, I think, if all ammo just disintegrated on firing.

However it works, though, it's going to be awesome.  Hooray for stacking and hauling!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 03, 2012, 11:04:35 am »

since ammo is created in stacks, your masterwork giant kea bone bolt would have a lot of twin sisters it could stack with

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 03, 2012, 11:17:41 am »

Think of the implications for ammo -- dropped arrows could be melted in one job instead of 30!

I don't think it's going to be that simple for ammo . . . does your masterwork giant kea bone bolt stack with your exceptional giant kea bone bolt?  I'd be happier, I think, if all ammo just disintegrated on firing.

However it works, though, it's going to be awesome.  Hooray for stacking and hauling!

There are some tricks that can be performed if you segregate out the data cleverly, and you can do something like how the stocks screen works - the game will tell you that there are 1000 or so stones in the play area by simply grouping everything with a "stone" token, and then break them down into individual materials.

You might be able to tell dwarves to pick up 50 "metal bolts", and the dwarves will pick up bronze and iron and steel alike, and with varying item qualities, and display them as a single stack in a "less detailed mode", then tell you that if you look closely, it breaks down into 15 =iron bolts= and 10 steel bolts and 25 *bronze bolts* or something. 

Likewise, almost all bone uses the same material definitions, so you can just declare all "bone" material stackable with other bones, and just keep some separate tags saying where that bone came from.  (Although I still wonder how a dwarf can just look at a bone bolt and tell it came from a water buffalo and not a cow.)

(Although this might cause problems if/when we get to the point where we start having alchemical/magical ammo like acidic or freezing or exploding or healing shiv bolts that get mixed in with "normal" ammo unless there are clear definitions for what gets stacked with what.)

Of course, there already are nauseatingly in-depth threads on these subjects if you want to go further into the matter outside this thread.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 03, 2012, 02:05:38 pm »

This is a great improvement.  We may not need a small army of dorfs just to haul things around any more.  But then, that mean less jobs for the dorfs overall, since the needs for skilled production dorfs isn't that high.  I suppose that could just mean bigger standing armies or something.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 03, 2012, 02:13:28 pm »

This is a great improvement.  We may not need a small army of dorfs just to haul things around any more.  But then, that mean less jobs for the dorfs overall, since the needs for skilled production dorfs isn't that high.  I suppose that could just mean bigger standing armies or something.

Definitely bigger army. Also, screw pump exercise rooms. If I'm gonna have vast amounts of dwarf peasants standing around, they can at least keep themselves fit and the traps supplied with magma guest rooms clean and ready for visitors.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 03, 2012, 02:28:34 pm »

After use, simply change the ammo into "used bolt, bone" or "used bolt, copper" ?  It's probably not going to be much of a masterpiece after being used?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 03, 2012, 03:18:22 pm »

All those Plump Helmet Seeds are now Plump Helmet Seed[5]!
Is carrying 5 seeds necessarily the same as creating seeds[5]?  Toady has only mentioned improving the logistics of hauling, not the storage/display of items.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 03, 2012, 03:45:16 pm »

It looks like restacking is finally going to exist. All those Plump Helmet Seeds are now Plump Helmet Seed[5]!

In case it's not clear yet: I'm 99% certain that what Toady described in the devlog is not restacking (hence the need for haulers to carry a container).  Restacking is not on the dev page and, if I had to guess, probably won't be implemented during this cycle.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:48:21 pm by Footkerchief »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 03, 2012, 03:46:13 pm »

All those Plump Helmet Seeds are now Plump Helmet Seed[5]!
Is carrying 5 seeds necessarily the same as creating seeds[5]?  Toady has only mentioned improving the logistics of hauling, not the storage/display of items.

No, it is not. 

The game already allows for carrying virtually unlimited numbers of items in Adventure Mode, and with things like the thousands of trophy bracelets hunters or vampires can wear.  What Toady has changed is the way that jobs used to only be about picking up single items at a time, and made it so that multiple "pick up this item and take it to this stockpile" jobs can "merge" to make a more complex type of job with multiple stops. 

Stacking is a whole other can of worms.  It involves changes to the way that data on objects is stored, and how the game tries to look at that data.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 03, 2012, 03:55:30 pm »

yeah, a stack of items in the game is actually just a single item with a number attached saying it's part of a stack of x.

Because of this all items in a stack need to be exact copies, since it's the same item.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 03, 2012, 04:28:34 pm »

Because of this all items in a stack need to be exact copies, since it's the same item.

Hmm, but even so, there would still be a sufficient bunch of items that would be quite identical, and therefore stack fine. These are drinks, food from traders, seeds, such things that stack but have no quality levels.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 748